I CANT LIVE WITHOUT MY RADIO!!!

staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
edited October 2010 in Strut Central

When the beat came in a box - NYtimes

I used to have a big one that opened real slowly - awesome.
I get pissed off by kids with their little cell phone speakers.

PS theres a banksy stencil in here somewhere for you dweebs

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    We used to go to other hoods to blast out other boxes.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    This was Earth, Wind & Fire's commercial for Panasonic boomboxes, ca. 1980. I got one of these (or something like it) for Christmas of that year.

At that time, downtown Chicago (particularly on Randolph St. where all the movie theaters were) was like our Times Square. Platinum-colored boomboxes on somebody's shoulders were as common as iPods are today. Except back then, we could hear the other person's music. And you can bet it was always some soul/funk jam turned up to 11. Some dude in a cowboy hat, Hawaiian shit and Jordache designer jeans blasting whatever was popular on WBMX (the Black Music Xperience). I always fantasized what would happen if somebody strolled through the Chicago Loop blasting the country station that loud, just to be funny.

The boombox I owned never left the house. My parents paid too much $$$ for that thing to be stolen, and there were always stories of portable radios being jacked on the el trains. But it got quite a bit of play at home. Had a mono/stereo switch, which impressed me to no end. Especially when I'd tape something in the house with the switch on "stereo" and all the audio would jump to one speaker. At 13 years old, I thought that shit was advanced.

• batmon said:
    We used to go to other hoods to blast out other boxes.

Hell yeah! We did that too. Then we would battle with a little pop n lockin'. Shit was serious.