POLY SLEEVES QUESTION (Bags Unlimited Related)

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited October 2010 in Strut Central
Hey guys, I'm gonna buy a grip of poly sleeves for my vinyl but I thought I would poll Teh Strut to see what kind of jawns people prefer, and why... Bags Unlimited offer a bunch of different styles, but I usually prefer the plain plastic clear sleeves to the harder ones with the flaps. Is the 3 mil POLYETHYLENE the standard? Should I avoid the "snug fit" ones, and if so, why? I actually prefer to not have my vinyl that loose in the sleeves but will it fuck the vinyl itself up? Is a 4 mil POLYETHYLENE sleeve (or higher) kind of overkill?

Comments

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i've only had experience with the 3mil polyethelene and they feel nice ans sturdy. I would imagine the 4 or 5mil being a bit to thick for my liking but i can see the appeal.

i usually get both the snug and regular, as the regular is usually too big for normal records but fits gatefold records well. the snug are almost always great for regular records, although occaisionally i'll come across one that's a little wider and just throw them in a normal sleeve.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Cool man that's exactly the type of info I was looking for. Thanks dude.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i should add that the sleeves sometimes run slightly smaller or larger than normal. i ordered 100 of the snug sleeves once and they couldnt fit jack they were so damn small. i think i just ended up using them for Brazilian records which normally run smaller than regular records. that's been my only gripe out of like 10 or so orders.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah I think I'm just going to go for the Regular 12-3/4 x 12-3/4 3 mil POLYETHYLENE, not the snug ones.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    Reynaldo said:

honestly i'm not crazy about these, but to each his own.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Reynaldo said:

Damn those don't look too bad at all. The "never getting cloudy" thing is definitely a draw hahah...