Jobs condusive to finding records

discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
edited October 2010 in Strut Central
Analog_tape's thread got me thinking about this. Who here has (or has had) a job that puts you in positions for finding raer consistently? I'm obviously not referring to all you full time grippers or records store owners.

I had a delivery job a few years back that took me all over th Bay Area and I would constantly hit up garage sales and other spots that were otherwise off my radar.

Comments

• Census worker

Bug exterminator

Water delivery person

Barber

• Antique dealers (estate sales) and storage building owners would be at the top of list I would think.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Garcia_Vega said:
    Census worker

Bingo. Top marks for comprehensiveness.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Garcia_Vega said:
    Census worker

Bingo. Top marks for comprehensiveness.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    burglar

crime scene forensics

nurse/personal support worker/home visitor

crime scene clean-up

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Midwife

• Garcia_Vega said:

Bug exterminator

I'm voting for this one based on two criteria:

1. Occupation that allows you into more places than a normal person would go including garages, attics, basements, sheds, etc.

2. Quantity of places visited

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Not really a job, more of a hobby.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Musica,

I'm a college professor by day, so I travel fairly regularly for research/professional conferences, giving talks and workshops, and so on. Thus, in my travels, I always hit the records stores in the areas, and ship the vinyls back to the crib. I come up on heat quite often as a result.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Police

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Repo man

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    billionaire

• Callgirl / gigolo

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Foreclosure clean-outs.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Mortician. And yes, I am serious.

• real estate agent?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    Foreclosure clean-outs.

bingo

locally these guys are constantly turning up collectibles of all sorts

garbagemen too

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    Hey Musica,

I'm a college professor by day, so I travel fairly regularly for research/professional conferences, giving talks and workshops, and so on. Thus, in my travels, I always hit the records stores in the areas, and ship the vinyls back to the crib. I come up on heat quite often as a result.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Yes on the above. Allows for some international digs as well. My first post-doc was in Bombay (fall '04- spring '05, when I first became a non-lurker on here), and I brought home several hundred records, most of which I would never have otherwise. I'll be in Reykjavik for a bit this summer so we'll see what can be found there.

I haven't seen you around lately, Stacka!

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    bluesnag said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    Hey Musica,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Yes on the above. Allows for some international digs as well. My first post-doc was in Bombay (fall '04- spring '05, when I first became a non-lurker on here), and I brought home several hundred records, most of which I would never have otherwise. I'll be in Reykjavik for a bit this summer so we'll see what can be found there.

I haven't seen you around lately, Stacka!

Hey Bluesnag,

I'm here, mane, though teaching a doctoral seminar this semester has been kicking my ass (in addition to being PhD program coordinator, sitting on 5 editorial boards, and working on my own research). I hear you about international digging. I found a grip of amazing records in Stockholm back in 2002, and most recently, up in Montreal back in August.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• in my day to day general contracts for plumbing or renovations, im always brought down to the basement of the persons house to check out mechanical rooms or furnace rooms which people usually double as a storage area. often ill walk in to find an old record collection. usually on a long contract, with permission of course, they'll let me rifle through it on a lunch break. twice ive had customers just give me full collections (2K+) simply after hearing i collect. never any truly certified raers, but definitely keepers abound.

this year, one customer (maybe one of my best long-standing clients) had their whole collection digitized and called me to come pick up the lot. mostly beatle-y shit, but definitely good stuff to re-up on sub par sleeves or quality lowered pressings. the kicker is, they got all of their friends on the digitizing game, and gave them all my number for when they're ready to part with the hard copies.

• My job as an investigator has serious potential to be really good for digging. I drive around all day and hit the thrifts on the regular.. but the real opportunity lies in my interactions with the people I meet and interview. Unfortunately, though, interviewing the victim or witness of a heinous crime (or even those people who are witnesses on our client's side) and then asking them if they have any records they want to get rid of is a seriously bad look. Believe me, I know this because I've tried it. There have been a few times when I've gotten some leads, but god damn, I swear I can hear the records calling me from inside these houses..

• Options
    Hitman.

• whore

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    i've worked as a court interpreter before, which involved travelling over the uk... hit some record shops in some seriously backwater towns and come up with some gems

what about someone who has to re-fit buildings? maybe one day they'll get the 'old radio station' gig and have to come and take everything away

:next_level:

• Reynaldo said:
    Foreclosure clean-outs.

Definitely. Relatedly, my uncle had a job for a couple years winterizing abandoned houses - boarding up windows, putting antifreeze in the pipes. Just so they wouldn't become a menace / danger to the rest of the block.

He got AMAZING stuff. Including tons of records. Crazy photographs, sad letters, knick knacks, furniture, etc, etc.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Coroner
    Traveling Consultant