T.I. saves lives

bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
edited October 2010 in Strut Central
T.I. talked a guy off a roof:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/celebrity.news.gossip/10/13/rapper.prevented.suicide/index.html?hpt=T2

Atlanta, Georgia (CNN) -- Rapper T.I. helped police persuade a man not to jump off the roof of high-rise hotel roof in Midtown Atlanta on Wednesday afternoon, police said.

T.I., whose real name is Clifford Harris, talked to the man about how a person "can make it through anything," Atlanta Police spokesman James Polite said.

"T.I. just happened to be in the right place at the right time," Polite said.

Harris faces his own life crisis this week when he appears before a federal judge, who is considering revoking his probation on a weapons conviction.

Police were trying to talk the man, who appeared to be about 25 years old, from jumping from the 22-story Colony Square Hotel when Harris "appeared out of nowhere," Polite said.

Harris offered to help convince the man that "life's not that bad," a proposal that police accepted, he said.

The man, who was not identified by police, agreed to leave the roof to meet with the rapper.

After several minutes of conversation, he was taken into custody and transported to Atlanta's Grady Memorial Hospital for a psychological evaluation, he said. He was not charged with a crime, he said.

Harris and his wife, Tameka "Tiny" Cottle, were arrested on drug charges during a traffic stop on Sunset Boulevard in West Hollywood, California, last month. The charges triggered Friday's probation revocation hearing in Atlanta.

In 2008, Harris was sentenced on charges of unlawfully possessing firearms as a convicted felon. The charges came after an arrest by federal agents a year earlier while Harris was buying three machine guns in the parking lot of an Atlanta grocery store.

Harris was released after serving nine months in prison and three months in a halfway house.

Comments

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    bluesnag said:

Police were trying to talk the man, who appeared to be about 25 years old, from jumping from the 22-story Colony Square Hotel when Harris "appeared out of nowhere," Polite said.
    Seems kinda coincidental that this happens right after he violates his parole...

And the sketchiest part: the dude on the ledge is this guy

:shame_on_you:

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I know anything is possible since Gap faked a logo relaunch, but damn, this is cynical!

bluesnag said:

Seems kinda coincidental that this happens right after he violates his parole...

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Unherd said:

And the sketchiest part: the dude on the ledge is this guy

:shame_on_you:

Are you joking? I can't tell. If not, where did you see this?

• djwaxondjwaxon 411 Posts
    bluesnag said:

agreed

• Read the Atlanta Journal article for a different take - apparently T.I. was on his way to a V-103 radio interview in the same building, and when he got there the streets and buildings were blocked off and the radio DJ suggested he might be able to help talk to the jumper.

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/t-i-hero-role-681613.html

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    TI is a boss.

• who would CHOOSE a TI appearance for the location of their demise?