Silverfish HEEEEEEEEEEEELP!

nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
edited October 2010 in Strut Central

I just found a couple of these lurking in my records.

How do i get rid of them before they devour all my raer?

Comments

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    sadly its going to be tough, specially if you live in a damp climate, we had them in our apt for year and year..tough lil bastards to get rid of just do to their habits..found this:

Sources of any undue moisture, such as faulty plumbing or condensation that provide the humidity favored by these pests should be eliminated.
    Dehumidifying reduces the moisture content of the air that these insects find essential. Some methods for dehumidifying include: Mend leaking pipes.
    Ventilate closed rooms and attics.
    Eliminate standing water.
    Use a dehumidifier an air conditioner.

Regularly vacuuming cracks and crevices with a narrow vacuum tip also can be a good method to physically remove these insects from their harborages.
    Removal of food sources , stored in tight containers.
    If you have a problem of silverfish inside your home, a good residual perimeter treatment of:

Cyonara 9.7
    Demon WP /Cyper WP insecticide
    These residual insecticides, sprayed around entry points and foundation of the house would be the first step.
    Spray along the foundational wall, with a two or three foot band.
    Cyonara 9.7, Demon WP/Cyper WP : last for two to three months.
    All these products are odorless. The wettable powder (WP) formulation in the Demon WP and Cyper WP will leave a slight film that can be seen against dark surfaces. The Cyonara 9.7 does not leave a film.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Shrink wrap your whole collection.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Try some of the residual treatments Mr. Cityboy mentioned. If you have any difficulties finding the ones he mentioned, Ortho Defense Max works pretty well.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    HOly moses! What do these buggers do? Eat your sleeves?

• leon said:
    HOly moses! What do these buggers do? Eat your sleeves?

I always heard that they eat glue, which is how they destroy book bindings.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    ^^ i dont know how true that is about the glue, mind you they are like any other parasite so eating glue is very well possible, i was under the understanding that they eat crumbs from left over foods amoungst other things...
    a quick google stated they may be after
    silverfish's diet of carbohydrates such as sugar or starches.

not that NZ's crib is durty, but may wanna pay attention to crumbs left on kitchen counters/floors/tables as well as getting rid of the moisture..