50's and 60's "Radio Station Jingle" Singing Group Recommendations

incompletejigsawincompletejigsaw 756 Posts
edited October 2010 in Strut Central
I'm familiar with the sound of the Enoch Light Singers and the Ray Charles Singers, but who here has a few recommendations on radio station jingle groups of the 50's and 60's?! It's hard to explain the exact sound, but something to the like of this maybe.

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Try Lambert, Hendricks & Ross

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Good comp at the link below with this sort of fare. No vox, but it's the same sort of spiel. Def rocked out to many of these on the ipod before.

http://totalrod2.blogspot.com/2009/08/music-for-tv-dinners-1997.html

Ren & Stimpy fans will definitely crack a smile.

• novi singers
    singers unlimited
    manhattan transfer
    the third wave
    the new york singers' big band
    rare silk
    ray coniff singers
    and about a million other schmaltz lounge and soundtrack albums...

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

Dave Lambert

Lambert from Peter on Vimeo.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    incompletejigsaw said:
    I'm familiar with the sound of the Enoch Light Singers and the Ray Charles Singers, but who here has a few recommendations on radio station jingle groups of the 50's and 60's?! It's hard to explain the exact sound, but something to the like of this maybe.

Pause on handsome Harry and his 3-way sessions.

• sabadabada said:
    Rockadelic said:

Dave Lambert

Absolutely love this. Thanks for the recommendations.

• sabadabada said:
    Rockadelic said:

Dave Lambert

The music recorded in this video is wicked. Is it on any album?
    Lambert, Hendricks & Ross records have never impressed me as much as this stuff.
    Help a man out

Dave Lambert, of Lambert, Hendricks, and Ross, with his newly formed quintet auditioning for RCA in 1964, shortly before his untimely death.

Dave Lambert had been a hero of mine ever since I left Chicago for New York in the forties, long before he???d begun the famous Lambert, Hendricks and Ross trio. He was an arranger for Gene Krupa, who, in addition to trumpeter Roy Eldridge and vocalist Anita O????????Day, had these fantastic brass arrangements, which I still remember and have the 78????????s to prove it. Anyway, while we were building a studio on 45th Street for fledgling-film-company Leacock Pennebaker, Bob Van Dyke, our audio genius, introduced me to Dave, and got him to help us finish it. Dave, it turned out, was a first rate carpenter. When it came up that he had an audition at RCA for a new group to record songs he had just written, we went along with him and filmed the session. RCA decided not to go for it, and wiped the tapes, so we stuck our unedited film up on a shelf and left it there.
    Several months later, while helping someone fix a flat on the Merritt Parkway, Dave was hit by a car and killed. A few weeks later, Art De Lugoff from the Village Gate called and said he???d heard we had a film of Dave and could he show it at the wake. Nick Proferes and I spent that night editing and got him a print the next day. A few days later a reporter from German TV who???d seen it, came around and asked if he could take the film back with him, since Lambert was so well known in Europe. We gave him our print and forgot about it. Then letters started coming asking where to get the record. But there wasn???t any record, nor ever would be. All there was was this fifteen-minute film of a few incomplete rehearsals of songs that otherwise didn???t exist. It hit me that this was really what film should be doing, what I should be doing . . . recording people and music as a kind of popular history that might otherwise not exist. It was only a few weeks later that Albert Grossman walked into our office and asked if I was interested in making a film about his client, Bob Dylan.

D A Pennebaker

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    that lambert video is so awesome, amazing to see inside RCA studios... thanks for posting

utters said:
    that lambert video is so awesome, amazing to see inside RCA studios... thanks for posting

Yeah. Aside from the music, which is great, there is so much else going on in this short fifteen minute film. From the street scene in the opening to the closing credits. I love the sound guy with the cigarette, when he says "you came in too close, dear. You're sticking out now" and rubs his nose.

"Right Dave, crazy."