NY APARTMENT KNOWLEDGE NEEDED!!

WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
edited October 2010 in Strut Central
FIgure there'd be some people on here that would know good resources for how to handle this sort of situation.

Without delving to deep into the issue, I'm currently subletting my aunt's apartment in Manthattan which she's lived in for about 20 years. She moved out a year and a half ago, and allowed me to move in, doing all the paperwork to make it a legal sublet, which has a 2 year span. It's rent controlled.

It's a little tricky of a situation, though, because the apartment, legally, is 2 attached apartments, a one bedroom and a studio. I'm trying to figure out how to hold on to the apartment after the sublet is up and keep the dream alive!

Anyone either work in this sort of field or know of some renters rights people I can contact to see what loopholes I may be able to find? Just seeing what's up and trying to get this process rolling.

Any advice is appreciated!

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    You would need to convince the rent control people that you have lived in the apartment with your aunt for YEARS and that it is a family apartment that you still use for family dinners, get togethers, etc. They might let you keep it at the rent controlled rate if you hit them with this kind of story. Only problem is they might want documentation that you have lived in the apartment for years.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Big_Chan said:
    You would need to convince the rent control people that you have lived in the apartment with your aunt for YEARS and that it is a family apartment that you still use for family dinners, get togethers, etc. They might let you keep it at the rent controlled rate if you hit them with this kind of story. Only problem is they might want documentation that you have lived in the apartment for years.

MARRY YOUR AUNT

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    Big_Chan said:

MARRY YOUR AUNT

LMFAO!!!!!!! There you go. Your problem solved with advice from a lawyer!