Watts 103rd 45 question (ODub...?)

bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
edited October 2010 in Strut Central
I jump around from artist to artist and try to be a completist with their 45s...

Anyways, I'm on the Watts 103rd Rhythm Band at the moment, and I have a question about one of their 45s. I have a copy of "Brown Sugar"/"Ceasar's Palace" on Keymen, but I suspect its a bootleg. I know the single was released on WB, but it was there first, so there is a chance this is legit, considering the Spreading Honey 45 is also on Keymen. But, the label on this 45 looks completely different than all others on Keymen, and the label actually says "Key Men" instead of "Keymen". The catalog number is K-116, which is not listed on any discographies I can find.

So...boot, right?

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    bluesnag said:
    I jump around from artist to artist and try to be a completist with their 45s...

Anyways, I'm on the Watts 103rd Rhythm Band at the moment, and I have a question about one of their 45s. I have a copy of "Brown Sugar"/"Ceasar's Palace" on Keymen, but I suspect its a bootleg. I know the single was released on WB, but it was there first, so there is a chance this is legit, considering the Spreading Honey 45 is also on Keymen. But, the label on this 45 looks completely different than all others on Keymen, and the label actually says "Key Men" instead of "Keymen". The catalog number is K-116, which is not listed on any discographies I can find.

So...boot, right?

Not sure about that - but you know the band on that 7" isn't the "real" 103rd Watts Band, right?

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    bluesnag said:

So...boot, right?

Not sure about that - but you know the band on that 7" isn't the "real" 103rd Watts Band, right?

Yes, I know about that story. Does not change how the 45 gets filed though! :-)

Anyone else ever seen this 45? Dante, I know you have the 45 discographies locked down...

• It's legitimate. It was the band's last record on Keymen and was picked up by WB.
    The Watt Elektrik Funk Band on Fridai from 1977 seems to be the group's final 45.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    DCarfagna said:
    It's legitimate. It was the band's last record on Keymen and was picked up by WB.
    The Watt Elektrik Funk Band on Fridai from 1977 seems to be the group's final 45.

Thanks! I knew the 45 oracle would come through. Never heard of that 1977 45. Could you post the Watts 45 discography?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    bluesnag said:
    DCarfagna said:
    It's legitimate. It was the band's last record on Keymen and was picked up by WB.

Thanks! I knew the 45 oracle would come through. Never heard of that 1977 45. Could you post the Watts 45 discography?

Was Charles Wright involved with this '77 single?

And did Tony Sylvester from the Main Ingredient produce it? He told Black Music magazine in the UK (ca. 1978) that he was going in the studio with the Watts Band...