The Social Network.

Comments

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Woimsah said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    Jesse Eisenberg is to Michael Cera as Bruno Kirby is to Joe Peschi...

Not sure why people keep comparing the two -- bc they're both nerdy white kids with curly hair? Michael Cera doesn't really do too much drama, can't really take him seriously.

I just watched Zombieland and Eisenberg's character has the same mannerisms and self-deprecating, insecure style of expressing himself as Michael Cera does in a majority of the roles I've seen him in. They also have very similar features the same way Natalie Portman and Kiera Knightley do. Or maybe Gary Busey and Nick Nolte?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    edith head said:
    Woimsah said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

Not sure why people keep comparing the two -- bc they're both nerdy white kids with curly hair? Michael Cera doesn't really do too much drama, can't really take him seriously.

I just watched Zombieland and Eisenberg's character has the same mannerisms and self-deprecating, insecure style of expressing himself as Michael Cera does in a majority of the roles I've seen him in. They also have very similar features the same way Natalie Portman and Kiera Knightley do. Or maybe Gary Busey and Nick Nolte?

When is some genius going to put Cera and Eisenberg in a movie together? That would be interesting to watch.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Woimsah said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

Not sure why people keep comparing the two.

It made sense a few years back for a hot second insofar as they had characters that came off as pretty similar: awkwardly, nerdy but sweet white dudes.

I have a sense that Eisenberg might be able to branch out in ways that Cera won't but a lot o that depends on what kind of rules they're down to risk. Cera, so far, has milked his Arrested D character ad infinitum.

Also, please don't compare Rashida Jones to Alba. Jessica's not in the same league. Hell, not even the same sport.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Almond said:
    Reynaldo said:
    And you're also wondering:
    Almond said:
    do you think he???s that big of an ass in reality?

Yes, I am wondering that. I wonder if his fictional portrayal mirrors his real-life persona. I'm sure that at least a couple people on this site have seen him in interviews, met him or followed his work who can answer my question. I'm not so stupid that I don't realize that movies aren't real life.
    You shouldn't wonder if he's an ass in real life at all--it's a movie, and apparently it has already prejudiced you against him. And of course his fictional portrayal doesn't "mirror" his real-life persona--it's a movie (not featuring him playing himself).

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    she wants to know how close to reality the portrayal of zuckerberg was, while at the same time realizing he was probably not as big of an asshole as presented. this isn't rocket science rey. but keep arguing about this minute point some more, you seem to be into it.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    so far it appears zuckerberg has condemned the movie while his 'enemies' in the film (the twins for example) have come out and said its pretty much factually correct. this leads one to believe the movie is slanted against zuckerberg, but i didn't really get that after seeing the movie. yes he took someones idea and ran with it, and maybe had a hand in taking eduardo out of the equation, but i never really got the feeling he was a serious asshole. i guess my point is, for an alleged hatchet job on ones character, it didn't really paint him to be that big of a douche. *shrug*

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    It's already belabored but people get upset when they come off in an unflattering light in a photograph. It's fairly safe to imagine anyone depicted in a feature-length film to take issue with some or all of the performance. All of which is to say nothing of what Zuckerberg thinks privately of the film is almost a mute point in him as a CEO wanting to correctly address a film -- fictionalized or not -- that features him rather ruthlessly edging out his former colleagues at Facebook. Point being: Dude played the cut-throat game well but wants to project a slightly softer imagine to shareholders.

thrope said:
    she wants to know how close to reality the portrayal of zuckerberg was, while at the same time realizing he was probably not as big of an asshole as presented. this isn't rocket science rey. but keep arguing about this minute point some more, you seem to be into it.
    You sure about that?

Almond said:

For those of you who watched it, do you feel that Sean Parker was depicted fairly? The writers shined a negative light on him by making him seem like a douchebag. He contributed a lot and is a person Zuckerberg (at times, the only person) will take the advice of, but do you think he???s that big of an ass in reality?

[/rocket science]

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    a misreading of who she was referring on my part, but the point still stands. why would you be surprised someone wants to know how close to reality actual people are portrayed in a film? why am i still posting about this? what does this have to do with anything? I SO COFUSED ! and once again, i didn't really get the vibe that parkers character was a douche either, just a way better businessman than eduardo or zuckerberg, and much more of a party animal.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Rey's acting like a total Zuckerberg in this thread.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    So, what did you think of the movie, Rey? What's your opinion on the Justin Timberlake scenes?

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    i just assumed only You Herm and I have even seen the movie, based on the posts by everyone else in the thread......

Apparently people know exactly what I'm referring to when I mention the JT/Sean Parker scenes...

I'm not going to pay to watch a disconnected hit piece by the old media. I might give it a chance when a good copy makes its way to the torrents.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    and why would you need to see it? you obviously have your mind made up about the intentions of all involved in its making. dudes aint checking for Fincher or Sorkin anymore? guess i'm disconnected too.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    DrWu said:
    When is some genius going to put Cera and Eisenberg in a movie together? That would be interesting to watch.

Nick Nolte and Gary Busey will play their dads.

A few years ago Rey's comments would've elicited a chuckle or two while simultaneously thumbing his nose at this project in a way that makes you think "Hmmm...he's got a point there."

I'm afraid he's lost his touch.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Why the aggression Thrope? Sorkin has already come out and said that the movie takes a lot of liberties on the truth and is essentially a fairytale. I think a debate about whether or not filmmakers have the responsibility to accurately depict one of the most important social tools of our time is justified. Rey's point is that the movie has already skewed people's views of the founders of FB -- even though the movie is a work of fiction.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    selperfuge said:
    DrWu said:

and Jon Cryer and Matthew Broderick will play their brothers.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    edith head said:
    selperfuge said:
    DrWu said:

and Jon Cryer and Matthew Broderick will play their brothers.

Somewhere, some exec is mulling all this over as we speak.

Herm said:
    A few years ago Rey's comments would've elicited a chuckle or two while simultaneously thumbing his nose at this project in a way that makes you think "Hmmm...he's got a point there."

We are all disconnected proletariats. We post on Soul Strut as if there is nothing better to do. Picking apart each other's hastily constructed, amateur film reviews doesn't make us special. Rey sounds like Faux without the zingers.
    That said, what do you think about the JT/Parker role, Herm? Since you've actually seen the film? The cocaine incident actually occurred in "reality" and was widely reported but the context in which it was depicted (i.e. topless girl, that's my inhaler, cops) was negative. Is it just me, or did Eduardo come across as a good kid overall? I really liked him. He was the first to cough up any money (in "reality") and if it weren't for that algorithm, the site wouldn't have gone up that night.

Herm said:

I'm not here to amuse you.

Almond said:
    Herm said:

We are all disconnected proletariats. We post on Soul Strut as if there is nothing better to do. Picking apart each other's hastily constructed, amateur film reviews doesn't make us special.
    You're quick to quarantine your hasty construction to your amateur film reviews but I'm prepared to pick apart your entire body of contribution to SS. Thus far you've been in the protective bubble.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Rey is beasting in this thiread.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    I'm prepared to pick apart your entire body of contribution to SS. Thus far you've been in the protective bubble.

DO IT

Discussion- and entertainment-wise, Almond > Rey.

Rey's got some records though so I'm okay with him sticking around for record day mp3's.

Rey's just trying to bully Almond 'cause everyone else ignores his attempts.

• Reynaldo said:
    I'm not going to pay to watch a disconnected hit piece by the old media.

Ha ha.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Herm said:
    Discussion- and entertainment-wise, Almond > Rey

supporting your fellow Harry Potter fanboys eh?

;-)

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Soulhawk said:
    Herm said:
    Discussion- and entertainment-wise, Almond > Rey

supporting your fellow Harry Potter fanboys eh?

THE GIRLS WITH THE MATCHING DRAGON TATTOOS

• 3-word review:

Scarface for Nerds.