1200's are done! (false rumors-r)

dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
edited October 2010 in Strut Central
well i guess the word finally came today...
The OFFICIAL Announcement from Panasonic Japan - Technics Turntables to be Discontinued in 2010!

"Regarding Analogue turn-table products, we have to inform you of our decision to terminate the business within this year, regrettably. Followings show the reasons which made us to reach to this conclusion.

1) Since beginning of the last decade, our sales of turn-table has been decreasing drastically. It's almost one-fifteenth sales units compared with 10 years ago.
2) Never the less, many key parts are no longer available as some of our suppliers stopped production, and some have already discontinued their business. And there is a risk for some key parts that are available currently might be stopped suddenly, because those parts are continued producing only for our turn-table. In that case we cannot produce products that we have taken order already. We cannot help discontinuing production in advance in order to avoid the worst case."

damn....makes me feel glad i have a set for spare parts if needed...

Comments

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    This looks suspiciously like a rehash of the story that was circulating around a year ago, when Panasonic's announcement that they were to cease manufacture of 1200s in a certain region was extrapolated into a story that they were ceasing manufacture altogether. That story ended up going right round the world in no time, but I just did a Google news search using "Panasonic" and "Technics", and found nothing...

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    This looks suspiciously like a rehash of the story that was circulating around a year ago, when Panasonic's announcement that they were to cease manufacture of 1200s in a certain region was extrapolated into a story that they were ceasing manufacture altogether. That story ended up going right round the world in no time, but I just did a Google news search using "Panasonic" and "Technics", and found nothing...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    FAKE FINDS.

Cityboy, can you confirm your sources?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    "THE OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT" comes every few months. The only thing that's really happened is that retail costs have gone up (way up actually) due to production costs and it's possible (probable) that they're going to discontinue some of the models. My 2 cents.

• Pffffff.

On the official panasonic/technics site, you will find "analog" and "turntable" not "analogue" and "turn-table"

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    yeah man... i found both topics posted in different forums...

http://www.skratchworx.com/news3/comments.php?id=1544

and as well here:

http://www.mixfoundation.co.nz/news.html

dont get me wrong though i understand how people can jump on the bandwagon, and this could be a case of someone piggybacking off of someone elses misinformation...

I think the Mix Foundation story may have been the one I saw last year. It's not as if it's an implausible story or anything, though - when the official announcement does come, one thing I won't be is surprised.

• BigKBigK 97 Posts
    Dudes is on some Scrooge McDuck steez, telling duck tales and shit

Oh, well, if it's on Wikipedia...

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:

They only break 'cause you keep scratching with them. They aren't made for that. There'd be an overwhelming surplus of 1200s if you people didn't buy two and break them.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    dj_cityboy said:

They only break 'cause you keep scratching with them. They aren't made for that. There'd be an overwhelming surplus of 1200s if you people didn't buy two and break them.

i've been scratching on mine for 21 years now and the ONLY thing wrong with them is pop up lights have gone out. oh, and i've replaced the RCAs many times...

• reskresk 391 Posts
    djkingotto said:
    Reynaldo said:
    dj_cityboy said:

i've been scratching on mine for 21 years now and the ONLY thing wrong with them is pop up lights have gone out. oh, and i've replaced the RCAs many times...

I have had my pair of 1210's since 95 and they are still strong. Had to replace the RCA's maybe a year or two after but thats it (I put in monster cables and they've held up fine for a nearly a decade and a half). I know plenty of dj's whos had their pair for 20 years plus with minimal fixes.

The only part of 1200's that aren't built to last....the cheap rca cables.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Those tone arms are definitely a soft spot too.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    One of my 1200's is from the late 1970's. Only thing wrong is the pop-up light.