Fucking STYRENE

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited October 2010 in Strut Central
... Man I fucking HATE getting a new 7"s in the mail and they're styrene and sound like SHIT in places. Curtis, I LOVE YOU MAN, but Curtom is one of the worst offenders.

Polydor? You fucking blow as well. Don't get me started on Sussex...

Boo-urns.

Comments

• "the rub" = styrene cue burn.

• But on the flips side, those styrenes with the screened/non decal lables can be worn grey and sound awesome...mala/Amy/Togo/maxx/jubilee..etc...they seem to sound better with wear

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    But on the flips side, those styrenes with the screened/non decal lables can be worn grey and sound awesome...mala/Amy/Togo/maxx/jubilee..etc...they seem to sound better with wear

Yup, I had a link wray on amy that was no longer reflecting light and I couldn't even read label that played Ex.

I remember early on before I even knew the terminology and 45s were just 45s I went through about a dozen Bill Withers "Kissin my love" 45s trying DJ with them as if they were durable hiphop 12"s. HISSSSSSSSSSSSS BREAKZ.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    high_c said:
    I remember early on before I even knew the terminology and 45s were just 45s I went through about a dozen Bill Withers "Kissin my love" 45s trying DJ with them as if they were durable hiphop 12"s. HISSSSSSSSSSSSS BREAKZ.

Me too. Actually, I still do that--I always scoop up copies of "Kissing My Love" and Paul Humphrey's "Detroit" because I'm constantly wearing them out.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    yeah, what about HI records? I have never ever ever seen a Hi 45 on vinyl except for one bill black's combo from the early 60s. One out of thousands, literally.

Some of these things are tough as shit to find on vinyl rather than styrene. i don't even know if those al green 45s on hi were ever pressed on vinyl. i did manage to recently pick up that packers 45 "hole in the wall" on vinyl, unfortunately it is kind of crackly but oh well.

It's frustrating to not know if some 45s were even pressed on vinyl, so I don't even know if I should be looking for them on vinyl. one example is jack mcduff "theme from electric surfboard". the two 45s on blue note just after that were pressed on vinyl, but i've never seen that one on vinyl.

p.s. locations are back?!!!

• Hi had lots of vinyl issues, but they are hard to come by...DJ partner recently dug up a vinyl Kim Melvin " doin the popcorn"... And I thought that was never on vinyl..but they're out there.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    mint nos styrene 45s rule though, so crisp & loud.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I swear if you use an elliptical stylus cue burn will sound about 75% better. Until you burn it with them that is.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    holmes said:
    mint nos styrene 45s rule though, so crisp & loud.

There seems to be as much variation in styrene pressing quality as there is in vinyl..

I have unplayed styrene stock copies of 'Just Dropped In To See What Condition My Condition Was In' and 'Where Evil Grows' that sound terrible, but I have other styrene 45s that sound crisp and loud, as Holmes says.

• Dorando styrene is one that hurts.