SYL JOHNSON / THE NUMERO GROUP

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
I'm really excited about that Syl Johnson box set. Someone posted this up yesterday but it got overlooked I think.

Anyway this set looks dope. I just pre-ordered but I fucked up and didn't do it soon enough to get the bonus 45. Now I guess I'll have to pay top dollar for that.

http://www.numerogroup.com/catalog_detail.php?uid=01178

Anyway, in 2010, TNG is the proper and appropriate way to run a record label. Mega props on this. I was actually thinking of going back and getting the entire catalog on, just on some completionist shit. I already have a grip of the CDs, (Catherine Howe, Twinight Lunar Rotation, Wayfaring Strangers...) But if I had to START with a few pieces what should they be? I'm leaning towards the 24 Carat and the Wee. What else is ESSENTIAL?

Comments

• I was just on the numero site reading up on it.

Here's a link to the full tracklist:

http://theseconddisc.com/2010/08/09/syl-johnson-box-set-coming-not-because-hes-black/

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,101 Posts
    The 24 Karat... is essential.

I'm fond of the Recording Tap box, too.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    The bigass coffee table book is great.
    http://www.numerogroup.com/catalog_detail.php?uid=01049

• Cosmo said:
    Anyway, in 2010, TNG is the proper and appropriate way to run a record label. Mega props on this.

big

quality music for everyone, w/detailed notes for us geeks & aesthetic packaging. always vinyl option. and most importantly, guys like Syl seem to consider them the only folks in the business they can trust. that's huge.

as for what releases not to sleep on....
    some of my favorites are the 2 Cult Cargos (Bahamas & Belize), Local Customs: Lone Star Lowlands (great texas/southern/funky/blues/country/psych/bar rock), Home Schooled: The ABCs Of Kid Soul, Big Mack, Bandit, and Capsoul. Light: On The South Side had some good funky blues tracks to go along w/the book.

the Twinight release is their magnum opus IMO (at least until this Syl box set drops), but you're already up on that.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    willie_fugal said:
    Cosmo said:
    Anyway, in 2010, TNG is the proper and appropriate way to run a record label. Mega props on this.

big

quality music for everyone, w/detailed notes for us geeks & aesthetic packaging. always vinyl option. and most importantly, guys like Syl seem to consider them the only folks in the business they can trust. that's huge.

as for what releases not to sleep on....
    some of my favorites are the 2 Cult Cargos (Bahamas & Belize), Local Customs: Lone Star Lowlands (great texas/southern/funky/blues/country/psych/bar rock), Home Schooled: The ABCs Of Kid Soul, Big Mack, Bandit, and Capsoul. Light: On The South Side had some good funky blues tracks to go along w/the book.

the Twinight release is their magnum opus IMO (at least until this Syl box set drops), but you're already up on that.

Yeah I actually got hip to them off the Twinight joint. And I forgot I have the Capsoul one too.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    PISCES!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I try to keep up with most of the soul releases, not a dud amongst them. Great label.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Possum Tom said:
    PISCES!

Surprisingly good. Excellent songs and 'amateur' studio recording techniques.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    OVERRATED.

(like Prince and Curtis)

(kidding! Just in case people don't get sarcasm)

• Horseleech said:
    Possum Tom said:
    PISCES!

Surprisingly good. Excellent songs and 'amateur' studio recording techniques.

Seriously, the pisces record is real dope for psych/garage type of stuff. The prix label is very good soul on the trails of the capsoul one. Has anyone heard Local Customs: Lone Star Lowlands. I'm definitely curious.

• just saw this on their site. may be of interest to SoulStrut...

http://numerogroup.wordpress.com/2010/04/20/interview-with-rich-haupt-about-rockadelic-records/

• Cosmo said:
    What else is ESSENTIAL?

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    This Syl box set looks absolutely mind blowing. I don't think I've ever been this excited for a reissue.

As far as the Numero catalog, the Bodie acetate and unreleased Four Mints 7" are things I would recommend.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Cosmo said:
    Someone posted this up yesterday but it got overlooked I think.

Yeah, I posted that. I should have made a proper thread... Such a great release!!

• froz1froz1 154 Posts
    big cosign on Wee and 24k Black.

No mention of BOSCOE?! I thought this was Soulstrut...

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    maocontent said:
    Cosmo said:
    What else is ESSENTIAL?

ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY.

Numero has been one of the most consistently top notch labels in recent memory.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    The Wee album never really did it for me.

• maru said:

As far as the Numero catalog, the Bodie acetate

can't wait for the next set.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    holmes said:
    The Wee album never really did it for me.

So apparently, you CAN'T fly on their airplane.

• Hey while we are on the topic of Syl, does any strutter know when/where the Is It Because I'm Black (Instrumental) was first released? I noticed it on a Numero comp. that accompanies the coffee table book mentioned in this thread. I have heard rumour that it was on the flip of the Jamaican pressing of the 45 but was wondering if anyone can confirm this or if it was ever pressed anywhere else.

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    Spacecho said:
    Hey while we are on the topic of Syl, does any strutter know when/where the Is It Because I'm Black (Instrumental) was first released? I noticed it on a Numero comp. that accompanies the coffee table book mentioned in this thread. I have heard rumour that it was on the flip of the Jamaican pressing of the 45 but was wondering if anyone can confirm this or if it was ever pressed anywhere else.

Originally issued on Twinight as the flip to E. Rodney Jones & Friends.

Some misinformation dwells up thread. The bonus 45 is still available, the signed contact sheet is gone. 45 is mail order only, so if you want it (Royal Revue featuring the Fascinators "Is It Because I'm Black" b/w the Deacons "Sock It To Me"), you're gonna have to go to the source.

Thanks for the kind words, we can't wait to unleash the beast.

• this is melting faces globally, thanks for the headsup

• just copped it. can't wait.
    thanks fellas

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    TNG said:
    Spacecho said:
    Hey while we are on the topic of Syl, does any strutter know when/where the Is It Because I'm Black (Instrumental) was first released? I noticed it on a Numero comp. that accompanies the coffee table book mentioned in this thread. I have heard rumour that it was on the flip of the Jamaican pressing of the 45 but was wondering if anyone can confirm this or if it was ever pressed anywhere else.

Originally issued on Twinight as the flip to E. Rodney Jones & Friends.

Some misinformation dwells up thread. The bonus 45 is still available, the signed contact sheet is gone. 45 is mail order only, so if you want it (Royal Revue featuring the Fascinators "Is It Because I'm Black" b/w the Deacons "Sock It To Me"), you're gonna have to go to the source.

Thanks for the kind words, we can't wait to unleash the beast.

i have a Jamaican pressing of this. it is the second half of "Because I'm Black" and the instrumental is called "Soul Heaven". i know for a fact there are some variations of the pressing as far as label goes..

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    "Like a child stealing his first piece of candy and got caught, peeping around life's corner somewhere I got lost" = my favourite song lyric ever, period. It always sends a shiver up my spine when he sings it (2min40.)

• great box indeed.

• Spacecho said:

It came out as Soul Heaven by E. Rodney Jones. You can see the 45 here... http://www.popsike.com/Funk-45-E-RODNEY-JONES-FRIENDS-Soul-Heaven-Twinight/230307458330.html

There is a Jamaican bootleg of this as well. I believe most copies actually came out of Toronto. I have a cracked copy of this somewhere if you need. There's one up on eBay at the moment -> http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160487563381&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

• Thanks for the info everyone.

• Syl to me is the ultimate soul singer! It's funny how 'Hollow Bones' by Wu changed what I listen to. Such a great use of a sample.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I honestly could see this thread being cross/pollenated with the "GREAT UNDERRATEDS" thread. I mean Syl is up there for sure you know... That being said, Pre-order copped!