ipod & iphone game apps

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
can you guys recommend some game apps?

i'm a bit overwhelmed by how many are available in the store but i enjoy this physics game Osmos where you absorb smaller orbs and eject mass to speed up

i also downloaded this hilarious game called Robot Unicorn Attack that is all Lisa Frank inspired art and you are a unicorn chasing your dreams to "Always" by Erasure.

Comments

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I don't have an iphone but I know they ported Final Fantasy...that's a sure time waster. Or just get an SNES or GBA emulator and download roms...that's what I did on my Android phone.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Words with Friends
    Chess with Friends
    Angry Birds

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,100 Posts
    Orbital is a very addictive and physics-oriented game:
    http://www.orbital-game.com/

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Castle Smasher

GalaxyOnFire

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I didn't really like Angry Birds, but lots of people rave about it.

I have found anything I've bought that's put out by http://www.popcap.com/ has been quality.

I especially liked Plants vs Zombies. (Which used to be even better, as it had an MJ Thriller Zombie, but killjoys complained and it had to replaced by a Disco Zombie.)

• I'm the opposite, I didn't like plants versus zombies, but I'm addicted to angry birds

• the hipstamatic camera app is awesome. it's a pay app and has a bunch of $0.99 upgrades [different kinds of lenses and film prints], but i can't stress it's awesomeness enough. it turned me into a poor man's ansel adams for under $10.

also, if you're friends have pay apps downloaded to their phone that you want, if they sign into your app store under their account anything they've paid for can be downloaded again free of charge to your phone. it's the hole in the system apple has let slide to keep customers who buy numerous handsets happy.

• snosno 332 Posts

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    I'm the opposite, I didn't like plants versus zombies, but I'm addicted to angry birds
    I found Angry Birds too random, it seemed as much about luck as skill.

Zombies vs Plants you have to give a bit of time, it gets better. I didn't like it at first, as it was way too easy, but by the end I was addicted.

Also Zombies are inherently awesome. Angry birds, not so much.

• Okem said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    I'm the opposite, I didn't like plants versus zombies, but I'm addicted to angry birds
    I found Angry Birds too random, it seemed as much about luck as skill.

Zombies vs Plants you have to give a bit of time, it gets better. I didn't like it at first, as it was way too easy, but by the end I was addicted.

Also Zombies are inherently awesome. Angry birds, not so much.

there is a lot of skill actually in angry birds...you gotta know where to drop eggs/blow up bombs in the right location so that a rock/sheet of glass/ice can fall in the right place to take out a pig...gotta have the right angle for the birds to hit the right spot, etc...im hooked

• angry birds bores me to death

just get resident evil 4

and need for speed undercover - both of them amazing 3d graphics - just astounding

ironman is pretty dope on the same tip

touch grind if you want to get your fingerskating skills on point

snowlite if you like snowboarding

hipstamatic to take your photos - makes everything look like your having vintage 70s fun

best beatmaking software is nanostudio - way better than beatmaker - got them both but nanostudio wins

vintage drums lite (free dl) for classic drum machine fun

all money well spent.

i want an emulator like daze says but there isn't one at the moment. you can get Sonic The Hedgehog, Golden Axe and Streets Of Rage in the app store though.

Galaxy On Fire (free dl) is pretty amazing graphically but a bit of a pig to play, its a starwars / elite style space opera.

Godfinger is what i'm addicted to at the moment but its full of adverts which sucks. its good fun though. You control a "petit prince" style planet with your fingers, making it rain, flood, sun shine etc.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I haven't used it, but nanostudio does look very impressive. I have used Beatmaker which is also good.
    I still find it amazing that a phone can do something that a home PC several years ago would struggle with.

• its mad.. nanostudio now has a midi-fiable mode. (its in the app store as an update). you buy the line6 midi adaptor for iphone, make a nanosync folder and fiddle a bit, and pretty soon you can control the whole studio from your phone. it feels pretty :get_on_my_level:

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Remote is also cool. A Mac app that allows you to use you iphone/touch as a remote control for Itunes.

I also used to have a VNC app that allows you to control your desktop from your iphone and vica versa. Kinda useful & fun, but I didn't use it much and ended up deleting it.

• the only pay apps i have so far (as per friends suggestions) are: angry birds full, hipstamatic with all plug-ins the t-pain app [HA!]. if someone wants them PM me for my app store password.

• I love angry birds. It's definitely about skill, but you can get lucky and donthe right thing. It's worth .99 cents.

Hipstamatic is cool too. You can shake the phone and it will randomly mix film styles and lenses, so you can get a different look at random. So features are lame some are great.

Paper toss is cool for a free ap.

• If you like Genesis/SNES era RPGs, they ported over the Genesis classique Shining Force. The battles operate very much like a board game (like Final Fantasy Tactics).

Also, the remakes of Secret of Monkey Island 1 & 2 are incredible and work perfectly on the iPhone/iPod. I hesitated on the XBLA versions because I just can't see myself playing that sort of game on a console (no mouse). But the touch interface has been ideal.

Myst is another one that works well.

For those that love old NES Capcom games (Mega Man, etc), check out Dark Void Zero. It's a new game being pitched as a lost unreleased classic found deep in the vaults. Basically, it's an action side-scrolling shooter with a jet pack. It's essentially the 8-bit version of the recent 360/PS3 title, but it's 100x better. And they obviously spent a lot of time working out the controls. Usually the simulated controllers are horrible, but this works pretty well (though I do wish the two "buttons" were a bit farther apart).

Then there's the Eastbound & Down game (Kenny Powers' Home Run Fiesta). It's pretty much what you'd expect. And it's free.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Hipstamatic really is great. I have been thinking of getting the whole package since I love the way the basic works. Plus with the 4 the camera is really fucking good anyway and the plugins just really kick it up to an extra level.

There are so many dope apps it's amazing. I can't believe what shit used to be like since before I got my 4. So many great ones for airlines, banks, the Zagats one is amazing.

Ai don't know man recently I've been addicted to Diner Dash. It's soooooooo great and really a former server's nightmare game.

• TRISM

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    TheeeCasualMale said:
    TWISM

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Fuck the games...

I need this in my life. I've been waiting like 8 months since I first saw this and it's finally here.

Wait til 2:30 in the vid. It's the 3rd and final item he shows off.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Robot Unicorn is one of the few games I've actually purchased and it was entirely worth it. Great idea perfectly executed and never fails to amuse me either.

As far as puzzle games go I would highly recommend DropZap which I think I got for free but is still now only 59p/99c and manages to be both very relaxing and highly addictive.