Fading Fast

Comments

• I sold some import CD's yesterday that I got in China on a trip about a decade ago and the store employee was drooling over them. It was Beck, Bruce Springsteen and Sade. I was happy with the Ulysess that I left with and the fact that they weren't in my house anymore. That money went straight back to some vinyl finds.

• I have a few first generation CDs(circa 84) and they are unplayable...if you hold them to the light, the silver portion has bazillions of tiny little holes.

• Not noted in this article was the huge (and expensive) undertaking by the Library Of Congress to transfer all of their recordings to DAT tape.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Yup. CDs are garbage.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    prankster rule #1 everything is impermanent

i was tasked to source a major label artist's pro tools sessions stored on hard drive from a vault for remastering
    this project was from 1999
    the grease inside the drive froze up ,drum wouldn't spin and the data was unrecoverable and ruined
    good thing we had a DAT reference to save the day
    the DAT played fine but it wasn't the protools sessions with the multis that we needed

• CDs are dead any way - everything's going onto USB keys and memory cards. Are they more reliable? CDs = Crap sound, crap reliability and pain the arse to burn. Good riddence.