What's the verdict on the new Strut? (Threads-R)

2»

Comments

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    i would like to see more posts in the city guide. it's the best thing that soulstrut has at the moment. everyone should list the stores with records in their city! how come people don't do that?

more record talk would be nice too. and i think people some of the old folks should stop to post nonsense all the time. it made soulstrut become a joke. i know some people are very frustrated and bored. maybe soulstrut needs a NRR spin-off. really, yo!!!

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    sabadabada said:

...and bingo was his name-o!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Grope said:
    i would like to see more posts in the city guide. it's the best thing that soulstrut has at the moment. everyone should list the stores with records in their city! how come people don't do that?

Couple reasons: (1) People still don't like to journey outside their comfort zone (aka... the forums) and (2) as far as record stores... they don't want to give up their spots. Also, if people want recommendations on where to go, perhaps they go to Yelp.com. My attention was not to try to out-do Yelp but to provide a defined space for recommended spots (which has been a common thread over the years.) Again, that would require people going outside their comfort zone.

The_Non said:
    Faux is kinda on the money with how I feel, but I'm a little more optimistic,etc. about Soulstrut. I think music threads are *sometimes* successful if you post 'em. Sometimes good ideas don't take off though.
    As for suggestions:
    I would like if the word "Classifieds" to be clickable to lead into the classifieds section, and it would be nice if the classifieds section was listed among the forums. Commentary on sale threads can be cool and humorous as well; right now they feel a little sterile. Finally, the way the classifieds is designed can be cumbersome to deal with at times, it'd be nice if it was more user friendly, particularly with posting pictures.

One misconception is that the Current Classifieds section is a forum. It is not and i never intended to be.

The old classifieds was basically a separate forum that I had to maintain by manually granting access and canceling subscriptions. It was an administrative nightmare.

I tried to integrate the new classifieds with the forums the best I could. If you look to the right there is a column with the latest entries and a "more" button that shows you the whole list.

As for people being able to comment on ads. That was a nightmare as well. I would get complaints from sellers saying they were receiving unfavorable remarks from other people and had to moderate that shit.

twoply said:
    I don't like that after viewing the site on my phone, my web browser will automatically display the mobile version of the site until I log out and log in again.

This has been a MONSTER complaint. In order to have it revert back to your preferred theme requires some hacks and programming skills that are beyond my capabilities at the moment.

For now, I have been able to have it revert to the standard Soulstrut skin when you are on the computer after being on the iphone. This doesn't help those who prefer desert. For now they will have to scrool down to the bottom and change the theme.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    RAJ said:
    The_Non said:
    Faux is kinda on the money with how I feel, but I'm a little more optimistic,etc. about Soulstrut. I think music threads are *sometimes* successful if you post 'em. Sometimes good ideas don't take off though.
    As for suggestions:
    I would like if the word "Classifieds" to be clickable to lead into the classifieds section, and it would be nice if the classifieds section was listed among the forums. Commentary on sale threads can be cool and humorous as well; right now they feel a little sterile. Finally, the way the classifieds is designed can be cumbersome to deal with at times, it'd be nice if it was more user friendly, particularly with posting pictures.

One misconception is that the Current Classifieds section is a forum. It is not and i never intended to be.

The old classifieds was basically a separate forum that I had to maintain by manually granting access and canceling subscriptions. It was an administrative nightmare.

I tried to integrate the new classifieds with the forums the best I could. If you look to the right there is a column with the latest entries and a "more" button that shows you the whole list.

As for people being able to comment on ads. That was a nightmare as well. I would get complaints from sellers saying they were receiving unfavorable remarks from other people and had to moderate that shit.

I didn't think about that. Carry on sucka.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    RAJ said:
    twoply said:
    I don't like that after viewing the site on my phone, my web browser will automatically display the mobile version of the site until I log out and log in again.

This has been a MONSTER complaint. In order to have it revert back to your preferred theme requires some hacks and programming skills that are beyond my capabilities at the moment.

For now, I have been able to have it revert to the standard Soulstrut skin when you are on the computer after being on the iphone. This doesn't help those who prefer desert. For now they will have to scrool down to the bottom and change the theme.

if it's a record store, it's no secret. record stores should be listed with a short description by a reliable soulstrutteur

you shoul think about a NRR forum.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    RAJ said:
    twoply said:

That actually works fine for me. I was simply too unobservant to notice the fix.

I completely missed the first page of this thread when I posted and didn't even realize it was another "state of the strut" thread. For what it's worth, I think the topics and overall atmosphere of soul strut is better now than it was during the heyday of endless copycat threads, posts that crashed browsers, aliases galore, etc. Soul Strut and "meta" do not mix well, imo.

Most of the quibbles I have with the new Strut are superficial ones related to the interface ??? absence of locations [EDIT: well, hush my mouth], columns too narrow for 640x385 YouTube clips

These both are easy fixes

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    In the past, I've been against the idea of a NRR forum but now I'm thinking: why not try it as an experiment for a month? I don't know how much work it'd be on Raj's end but I think it'd be worth just seeing how it might change (or not) the dynamics on the site.