Beginning of the End - can you school me in similar stuff?

tabiratabira 856 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
I'm hooked on this gem Come down baby.

To say I've been sleeping on this is an understatement. I've been in a coma. Is there anything with a similar feel - particularly thinking about the horns?

Comments

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    If you haven't already, you really need to check their second record, the self-titled jernt. The horns are very much in effect.

That record as a whole gets mixed reviews, I think, but I ride wholeheartedly. It's a weird one ("Jesus Christ, silver and gold, stands naked in a roomful of modern man..."), but there's some really great, intense, sui generis shit on there. I could write a book on "Jump In The Water."

There's a Kenny Dope re-edit of "Come Down Baby" out there, too. He stretches it in a way that renders it a little too mellow for my tastes, but it's interesting to hear, and getting that guitar all by itself is nice.

If you're looking for something outside of that camp, theres the St. Vincent Latinaires Supersound, which has moments of similarity. That record can't really hang, though, although it does have a couple cuts.

And depending on which aspects you're responding to, you might want to dig into the whole Florida/Alston/TK shit; I think the horns you're hearing are definitely an exponent of that. Incomparable Seven's "Funky Grandpaw" comes to mind as a good example of the same kind of horn charts, breakdowns, and overall rhythmic charge, and I'm sure there's a million more.

• james said:
    If you haven't already, you really need to check their second record, the self-titled jernt. The horns are very much in effect.

That record as a whole gets mixed reviews, I think, but I ride wholeheartedly. It's a weird one ("Jesus Christ, silver and gold, stands naked in a roomful of modern man..."), but there's some really great, intense, sui generis shit on there. I could write a book on "Jump In The Water."

There's a Kenny Dope re-edit of "Come Down Baby" out there, too. He stretches it in a way that renders it a little too mellow for my tastes, but it's interesting to hear, and getting that guitar all by itself is nice.

If you're looking for something outside of that camp, theres the St. Vincent Latinaires Supersound, which has moments of similarity. That record can't really hang, though, although it does have a couple cuts.

And depending on which aspects you're responding to, you might want to dig into the whole Florida/Alston/TK shit; I think the horns you're hearing are definitely an exponent of that. Incomparable Seven's "Funky Grandpaw" comes to mind as a good example of the same kind of horn charts, breakdowns, and overall rhythmic charge, and I'm sure there's a million more.

many thanks James. I checked out their second LP and like you I more than dig Jump in the Water but the rest isn't doing it for me (yet). Interesting though to hear their sound updated from their first LP to a proto disco vibe. But yes those damn horns are there in full form. I'm off to check out all the other "leads" you've given me here. Much appreciated

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts