DICK GRIFFEY R.I.P. (president of Solar Records)

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
While I am not a fan of what is called "modern soul," I know a lot of you on this list are, so you should know about this...

Solar Records was THEE sound of black radio during the first half of the eighties - Shalamar, Dynasty, Midnight Star, the Whispers, and several others. They didn't get as much crossover love as Michael Jackson or Prince, or as much press as Rick James, but after you get that holy trinity out of the way, Solar was running things back then.

http://www.blackamericaweb.com/?q=articles/news/moving_america_news/22319&sms_ss=facebook

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Rest In Peace.

Mad Mad Rollerskating to this man's label.

b/w

S.O.L.A.R. should get a comprehensive Disc set or somethin'

• batmon said:

I seem to remember that Right Stuff or some other reissue label rereleased some Solar material in the '90s, but I don't think there was a lot of fanfare, and it was a little too early for an eighties revival.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    batmon said:

I seem to remember that Right Stuff or some other reissue label rereleased some Solar material in the '90s, but I don't think there was a lot of fanfare, and it was a little too early for an eighties revival.

Yep. A handful of albums were released.

Shalamar could actually get their own all album box.

I wonder how many songs/albums were on Soul Train Records. Could that be a separate disc itself?

• batmon said:
    pickwick33 said:
    batmon said:

Yep. A handful of albums were released.

Shalamar could actually get their own all album box.

I wonder how many songs/albums were on Soul Train Records. Could that be a separate disc itself?

I get the impression that "Soul Train Records" wasn't around very long, and they morphed into Solar fairly quickly.

(They didn't morph the logo, though...for the longest time, the Solar trademark was written in the same font as the Soul Train logo, and it was some time before they modified it.)

• It was Dick Griffey that technically got Death Row started.