I always wondered how Shazam worked

smoking_robotsmoking_robot 346 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central

Comments

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    One of my fave phone apps. It IDs a decent amount of international music. No super raers and takes at least 20 sec to match, but still highly recommended.

• smoking_robot said:

I met the founder 4 or 5 years ago at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. Along with my marketing/business development duties, I was also the DJ for our company party. I talked to him a bit before I started playing and he was so confident in his product that he said that it would recognize every song I played. He obviously didn't know who I was or what I played because I don't think it picked up a single one

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I always wondered how Kazam worked.

Oh, that's right--it didn't.

• Martin said:
    Almond said:
    No super raers and takes at least 20 sec to match, but still highly recommended.

LOL

you have a program on your cell phone that can identify almost any music, anywhere you are, being played through any source, and you're complaining it takes 20 seconds? do you remember what things were like in 2004?

It's 2010... doesn't matter what things were like in 2004, it only matters how things are supposed to be now and, more importantly, what they'll be like in 2 years... you must deal.

• DJ_Enki said:

• FortyFivan said:
    Martin said:
    Almond said:
    No super raers and takes at least 20 sec to match, but still highly recommended.

LOL

you have a program on your cell phone that can identify almost any music, anywhere you are, being played through any source, and you're complaining it takes 20 seconds? do you remember what things were like in 2004?

It's 2010... doesn't matter what things were like in 2004, it only matters how things are supposed to be now and, more importantly, what they'll be like in 2 years... you must deal.

Dude, your ego scares me sometimes

History is philosophy teaching by example and also by warning.
    -Lord Bolingbroke

History teaches everything including the future.
    -Lamartine

If you would understand anything, observe its beginning and its development.
    -Aristotle

• 4YearGraduate said:

Dude, your ego scares me sometimes

Haha... that was meant to be half sarcastic based on the expectations amongst most technology users. The other half of that statement was meant as truth because that's just the lay of the land these days... people want it all and they want it now.

Don't be scurred ;)

• Martin said:
    FortyFivan said:
    Martin said:
    Almond said:

LOL

word. shazam should be running 24 hours a day identifying every song it comes in contact with, then dowloading a 320 of each track (for free) to my home server which i can review using my iPad. then i can complain that it takes 20 seconds to get my iPad from the kitchen into the livingroom.

Yeah, exactly!

Martin said:
    Almond said:

LOL

The article says 10 sec. I'm not complaining, just issuing the only criticism I can think of.

Martin said:
    Almond said:

LOL

The article says 10 sec. I'm not complaining, just issuing the only criticism I can think of.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Anyone use Soundhound?

I tend to like it better.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    DOR said:
    Anyone use Soundhound?

Soundhound has more functionality but the UI on Shazam is much better and simpler.

IMO Soundhound's best feature is their Pandora integration - ID a song and then you can jump straight to a Pandora station based around that selection.

Both companies really need to integrate better with Facebook.

• unityunity 179 Posts
    So, when DJing, if you pitch a record up or down, even a little bit, it will be un-shazam-able?

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    unity said:
    So, when DJing, if you pitch a record up or down, even a little bit, it will be un-shazam-able?

Only Shaq knows the answer to that question.

• FortyFivan said:
    DJ_Enki said:

Does anybody know what model was Kazaam's ghetto blaster in the movie?

• DOR said:
    Anyone use Soundhound?

SoundHound, in my experience, is far and away more successful in IDing songs.

Used it yesterday to id this song at the Ponderosa Stomp kickoff. Shazam failed me initially.

• I thought this is how Shazam works.

Herm said:

BEST EPISODE EVAR.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Almond said:
    Herm said:

BEST EPISODE EVAR.

HELLS YEAHHHH.

Working in a record store for a good portion of my life. I can't count the amount of Hmm Hmm Him moments I went through.