Hoarding & True Rarity

highschemehighscheme 784 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
In the past year, I have been able to source 3 copies of a Japanese promo only record online. It is an instrumental version of a Japanese hip-hop album from 2002. This record goes (at least used to) for 10,000 yen + in Japan (about $100 classically but actually around $117 right now with the weak USD).

I don't know how many were pressed but it was certainly under 1000 copies, and with the few collectors I spoke to they felt it was more like 100 or 200. I don't think I could get my hands on 3 copies in 6 months outside of Japan if it was 100-200 copies.

Anyway, I was just wondering what you guys consider true rarity. Obviously, there is supply and demand issues, so if there was only 1000 copies of some Beatles joint that is going to seem more "rare", than 100 copies of some random shit no one even wants. But sometimes you see limited press of 5000, and it's pure marketing hype and they sit on the shelf and never gain any value.

What is the minimum press you usually see of these promo type things?

Have you ever hoarded multiple copies of certain records that turned out to go for a good amount 5 years later?

Comments

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    About 13 years ago I was working at a label that put out the 12" "Physics" by Sparrow (random rap dudes know about this grail). Well, just out of love for the record I grabbed close to 20 sealed copies and forgot about them. A few years ago I found them in my parents basement and started throwing them on ebay. To make a long story short the most I got for one was $1425.00 and the lowest I got for one was $599.00. I did pretty well for like 2 yrs off of that record. I got similar stories about other Baltimore Random Rap records, from Normskola, Affiliashun, Crooked, Annex Click, etc, etc.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    True rarity = 10 copies extant or less

• Breez said:
    About 13 years ago I was working at a label that put out the 12" "Physics" by Sparrow (random rap dudes know about this grail). Well, just out of love for the record I grabbed close to 20 sealed copies and forgot about them. A few years ago I found them in my parents basement and started throwing them on ebay. To make a long story short the most I got for one was $1425.00 and the lowest I got for one was $599.00. I did pretty well for like 2 yrs off of that record. I got similar stories about other Baltimore Random Rap records, from Normskola, Affiliashun, Crooked, Annex Click, etc, etc.

How many copies were being pressed of those?

• luck said:

Yeah, I would agree that less than 10 copies seems to be a pretty good # for true holy grail type shit.

But what about $50 or $100 records? Again, a lot of it is actual demand rather than limited supply, but when do things start to "feel" relatively rare on the open market?

For example does a limited press of 500 for something made in the last 10 years even make something "feel" rare. Maybe the number is more (1000 copies) or less (100 copies), but its something I could never exactly wrap my head around.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    highscheme said:
    luck said:

Yeah, I would agree that less than 10 copies seems to be a pretty good # for true holy grail type shit.

But what about $50 or $100 records? Again, a lot of it is actual demand rather than limited supply, but when do things start to "feel" relatively rare on the open market?

For example does a limited press of 500 for something made in the last 10 years even make something "feel" rare. Maybe the number is more (1000 copies) or less (100 copies), but its something I could never exactly wrap my head around.
    $50-$100 records are nothing. Getting into 4 figures is when the really rare+desirable stuff comes into effect. The time aspect is all relative to the desirability, a desirable recent 500 press will probably seem harder to grip than a 500 press from 20 years back if some dude is sitting on a few copies & relelntlessly has one up on ebay for cheap.
    Minimum press of promos varies I find, you'll never know unless you source the record.
    I have sat & am currently sitting on a few things which have & will hopefully work(ed) out for me.