Bossanova - brazilian music

Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
my knowIedge on the subject is very limited and I have very few things.... like these ones....

etc etc

what other lps are common AND good ?

Comments

• This is lovely but basic stuff, you know. What do you want exactly? Are you searchin' for brazilian things in the same mood or trying something different?

• Bernedo said:
    This is lovely but basic stuff, you know. What do you want exactly? Are you searchin' for brazilian things in the same mood or trying something different?

correct, I'm pretty much a beginner ... I'd like more things in the same vein that I can find cheap and easy...thanks !

• Strider79it said:
    Bernedo said:
    This is lovely but basic stuff, you know. What do you want exactly? Are you searchin' for brazilian things in the same mood or trying something different?

correct, I'm pretty much a beginner ... I'd like more things in the same vein that I can find cheap and easy...thanks !

• Strider79it said:
    Bernedo said:

correct, I'm pretty much a begginer ... I'd like more things in the same vein that I can find cheap and easy...thanks !

Good, but probably I could not help you to find "cheap" records, because most of the good brazilian stuff is really high-priced, because many of the classics are still not reedited. But I'll give you three links of three albums which I think are brilliant, and I think you'll enjoy.

http://loronix.blogspot.com/2006/07/os-gatos-aquele-som-dos-gatos-1966.html

http://loronix.blogspot.com/2007/01/quarteto-em-cy-quarteto-em-cy-1964.html

http://loronix.blogspot.com/2006/10/repost-bossa-tres-em-forma-1965.html

First two are not reedited an are up to 300$, but third you will find it reedited on CD around 40$.

This will help you to discover another artist/bands. I also reccommend you an album by Charlie Byrd called 'Brazilian Byrd' which I think you will also enjoy a lot, very easy tempo and it's easy to find and cheap. It has one of my favourite covers of 'Garota (Girl) de Ipanema'.

• Bernedo said:
    Strider79it said:
    Bernedo said:

correct, I'm pretty much a begginer ... I'd like more things in the same vein that I can find cheap and easy...thanks !

Good, but probably I could not help you to find "cheap" records, because most of the good brazilian stuff is really high-priced, because many of the classics are still not reedited. But I'll give you three links of three albums which I think are brilliant, and I think you'll enjoy.

http://loronix.blogspot.com/2006/07/os-gatos-aquele-som-dos-gatos-1966.html

http://loronix.blogspot.com/2007/01/quarteto-em-cy-quarteto-em-cy-1964.html

http://loronix.blogspot.com/2006/10/repost-bossa-tres-em-forma-1965.html

First two are not reedited an are up to 300$, but third you will find it reedited on CD around 40$.

This will help you to discover another artist/bands. I also reccommend you an album by Charlie Byrd called 'Brazilian Byrd' which I think you will also enjoy a lot, very easy tempo and it's easy to find and cheap. It has one of my favourite covers of 'Garota (Girl) de Ipanema'.

much appreciated !

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    'reza' by sergio mendes, off the so nice LP
    cheap, easy and great vocal bossa

http://www.divshare.com/download/12528992-e5a

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• You should check

Tamba 4 - We and The Sea
    Tamba Trio - Samba Blim
    Moacir Santos - his blue note releases from early 70s
    Baden Powell - Images on Guitar

most can be got for under $20 as i recall

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Strider79it said:
    my knowIedge on the subject is very limited and I have very few things.... like these ones....

what other lps are common AND good ?

You pretty much can't go wrong with any of the Astrud Gilberto LPs from the 60s and 70s -- some of which are always available and always cheap.

Even the early Sergio Mendes stuff is pretty damn good.

But, Brazilian music is sorta the one genre where often times the pricier stuff is pricey bc it's that good, not just bc it's "rare". I recommend coming out of pocket a little more than you're used to for some good bossa -- you won't regret it. The early Valle LPs are all complete face melters, highly highly highly recommended.

• Nara Leao self-titled. sublime.

• this, and also Gilberto's self-titled from 60 or 61 are both classic:

i LOVE this album:

and

1st track from the above. always get stuck in my head like whoa:

• Lately I've been listening to this.

• Perfect late night Bossa:

• The music doesn't start until :52. I think Eumir Deodato was about 20 when he did the arrangements for this. Jobim said "Eumir Deodato is not only the perfect bridge engineer which all arrangers should be, but also the creator and poet which all arrangers must be."

• "Enquanto A Tristeza Nao Vem" from the Sergio Augusto LP sabadabada posted is such an incredible piece of music. I could listen on a loop for hours.

Equally, I would recommend Gal e Caetano Veloso "Domingo", if only for the fact it contains one of my favourite (although criminally short) Brazillian tunes, "Onde Eu Nasci Passa Um Rio"...

• Lately I can't stop listening to this. The whole LP is fantastic, even by early Elenco standards. But this song in particular.

• And Menescal. I've been listening to a lot of Menescal.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Bossa nova was really overwhelming, like a girl with three pussies - Tom Ze

Hey Strider.. last year I made a compilation for my friends called Saudades. To get them interested in Brazillian music. I think the Megaupload link still works. If you're interested:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OYBWB8ED

- spidey

• One of my absolute favorites is Vinicius de Moraes. He was more of a lyricist but nonetheless absolutely essential to the scene and worked with all the heavy hitters. The album "Os Afro Sambas" he cut w/ Baden Powell is so gorgeous, and considered a classic. if you can try to cop the original version not the one w/ only Powell.

A fascinating character too. In addition to being a poet, he was also Brazilian diplomat until he had some differences with the military dictatorship. Afterward he continued to be politically outspoken. He was also a raging alcoholic and was famous for the saying (roughly) "Whiskey is bottled dog, man's best friend"

http://www.amazon.com/Afro-Sambas-Vontade-Baden-Powell/dp/B0013XZN5U

• hey strider,

i can offer to upload any of these albums. i don't know much but these are a few of my favorites

milton nascimento - clube de esquina
    joao gilberto - s/t white album
    gal costa - s/t (tropicalia)
    os mutantes - s/t (tropicalia)
    nelson angelo & joyce
    burnier & cartier - fotos para a capa do
    joyce - passarinho urbano
    nara leao - dez anos depois, opiniao de nara
    elis regina - s/t 1972, como e porque, em pleno verao
    antonio carlos e jocafi - mudei de ideia
    jorge ben - africa brasil
    baden powell e vinicus - os afro samba
    bebeto - s/t and cheio de razao
    elza soares e wilson das neves
    marcos valle - previsao do tempo (really scratchy copy)

jazz
    samalanco trio - s/t
    quarteto novo - s/t

good luck!

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts
    Lalo Schifrin had a big orchestra for his bossa nova albums and used it well:

There are only about 100 versions of Upa Neguinho to download and compare here:
    http://www.versionsgalore.com/2010/11/08/get-upa/

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    This record is on ebay right now for $30.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRASIL-BOSSA-NOVA-ORQUESTA-MODERNA-DE-CAMARA-BRAZIL-EX-LP-/190720684070?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item2c67d6b026

Sill one of my all-time favorites. Nilser release featuring Nilo Sergio and Ed Lincoln. Very nice bossa nova lp. Someone should grab it. It's easily a $100 record.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    brigadao

Congrats. Its such a great LP. Very delicate, very sophisticated. Each track is two songs that meld one into the other. Its just such a wonderful underrecognized LP. I bought it probably 15 years ago, and still go to it constantly. I hope you like it.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i took a leap of faith because of your recommendation and the whole LP seems to scream sophistication
    i think that's bossa at its essence
    i can't wait as it has been a long time since i've had a new bossa LP really grab me

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Are there any other Nilser's you recommend?

I have the As Vedetes, sort of an Em Cy knockoff that's pretty cool, and the Bossa Nova Modern Quartet, which is also decent.

The Danca Romance LPs are not that great. Bossa Nova Quartet "Bossa Nova Jazz Samba" is very similar to Camera and is probably the same line up. The musicians are never credited. The only other one that is worth it, is the Rubens Basinni Latino Fantastico. Which is pretty awesome. I put together a list of Nilser releases awhile back as best I could.

NS: 1001 The Lovers ???Lover???
    NS: 1002 Nilo Sergio ???Danca E Romance???
    NS: 1003 Los Karabalis
    NS: 1004
    NS: 1005 The Lovers ???The Lovers Vol. II???
    NS: 1006 Orquestra Modern de Camera ???Brasil Bossa Nova???
    NS: 1007 Rubens Bassini ???Latinos Fantastico???

NS: 1009 Nilo Sergio Sua Orquestra E Vozes ???Bolero Amor E Romance???
    NS: 1010 Bossa Nova Modern Quartet ???Bossa Nova Jazz Samba???
    NS: 1011/1012 Marilia Batista ???Historia de Noel???
    NS: 1013 Nilo Sergio Sua Orquestra E Vozes ???Cinema Romance???
    NS: 1014 The Caravelles ???Pianorama???
    NS: 1015 Nilser All Stars ???TV Hits???
    NS: 1016 Os Violinos Romanticos ???Cancoes Que Meus Pais Amaram???
    NS: 1017 Trio Romance ???Trio Romance???
    NS: 1018
    NS: 1019 As Vedetes ???As Vedetes???
    NS: 1020 The Lovers ???The Lovers Vol. III???
    NS: 1021 V/A ???Isto e Dynascope???
    NS: 1022 Don Pablo de Havana ???Ardiente???
    NS: 1023 Trio Bach ???Trio Bach???
    NS: 1025 Conjunto Musica Antiga ???Musica Barroca???
    NS: 1026 Concert Pops ???Fiesta???
    NS: 1027 Los Portenos ???Rosas Internacionais???
    NS: 03 Nilo Sergio Sua Orquestra E Vozes ???Tema Do Filme??? EP
    NS: 08 Bossa Nova Modern Quartet ???Jazz Samba??? EP
    NS: 09 Marilia Batista ???Noel Rosa???
    NS: 12 Quarteto Moderno ???Bossa Nova??? EP
    NS: 13 Nilo Sergio Sua Orquestra E Vozes ???Hino Au Amor??? EP
    NS: 19 Don Pablo de Havana ???Garota De Ipanema??? EP
    NS: 20 The Lovers ???Lover Lover Lover??? EP