Remixed / Remastered / Rewhatevered Hip Hop CDs???

WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
There were a few hip hop albums that came out in the early-mid 90s that, a short while after their initial release, were put out w/ a different looking CD and alternate mixes to some of the songs on the album.

I bring this up because I recently downloaded Breaking Atoms and the mixes are way different from those that I know. Didn't know of these what sound like earlier versions of some of their songs. Was my head just in the clouds?

Anyway, it made me think back to the original issue of Bizzare Ride to the Pharcyde. When it first came out, it was on a purple CD with yellow writing. And "I'm That Type of Nigga" sounded much different than it did on the later issue of the album which came on a basic silver CD w/ black writing. Can't find a pic of the actual CD, but this is the color combo of the orig:

Assuming this was due to sample clearance issues, but never found out.

Were there any other albums this happened with? Feel like this may have happened with 36 Chambers as well???

Comments

• Th tape for bizarre ride had different versions of songs than the cd did - this used to bug the shit out of me because my family was the last ones on the block to get a cd player.

Same thing with de la soul is dead. Tape was missing like half te damn album.

• I'm pretty sure that Lord Finesse's Return of the Funkyman CD & tape had different tracks. Also OC's Word Life has a track on the reissue CD that is totally different to the tape version I bought back in '94.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I think Doggystyle has an OG and then a edited/soft version....If im not mistaken.

IIRC the new one had a smaller tracklisting than the OG. Something was omitted.

• G'z up, H**s Down, due to sample problems I believe.

• Fratton79 said:
    G'z up, H**s Down, due to sample problems I believe.

Funny thing is "Gz Up H--s Down" appears unaltered on a later Death Row compilation 15 Years, but never on later re-re-masters of Doggystyle.

• batmon said:
    IIRC the new one had a smaller tracklisting than the OG. Something was omitted.
    The orignal tracklisting says "The Next Episode" but that song was never really on Doggystyle, and it was corrected on later printings.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:

Same thing with de la soul is dead. Tape was missing like half te damn album.

I grew up with the vinyl version of that album and never heard all the extra stuff on the CD version till many years later. I much prefer the short version.

• Geto Boys also had two pressings of their LP on Def America due to sample clearance on the "Gangster Of Love" track.