Looking for something similar in sound

markus71markus71 937 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
Friend of mine is looking for music along the lines of this James Brown & the Famous Flames track from the late 50's. So it should be a 50's track, rock 'n' roll with an R&B vibe to it.
I'm not really schooled on this sound so I'm calling out to the heads on the board here.

Any recommendations are welcome.

thanks!

Comments

• You didn't mention the name of the track that your friend heard, but based on JB's general sound during the fifties, I would also recommend anything by Hank Ballard & the Midnighters or the Five Royales. Both groups have a similar sound...a throwback to when rock & roll and R&B were the same thing, almost, with added gospel intensity.

And all three acts - Brown, Ballard, Royales - recorded for King Records.

• Cheers Pickwick.

The track my friend was refering to is this one:

• Yes, like I said, if they like that. then they'll like Ballard and the Five Royales. And throw some Little Willie John in there too (also on King).

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    Yes, like I said, if they like that. then they'll like Ballard and the Five Royales. And throw some Little Willie John in there too (also on King).

Yep.....pretty much any King/Atlantic R&B from '54-'57

• Also check for Specialty sides of the same era...more small group stuff (not as thick on the horn charts and orchestration, more "raw") don and Dewey, Larry Williams, the chimes, Lloyd price...tons of great sides

The_Hook_Up said:
    Also check for Specialty sides of the same era...more small group stuff (not as thick on the horn charts and orchestration, more "raw") don and Dewey, Larry Williams, the chimes, Lloyd price...tons of great sides

Absolutely......E, do you have Cherokee Dance by Bob "Froggy" Landers?? The flip is this crazy "Unitar Rock" tune played on a one stringed geetar by Willie Joe.....either would be a great Ponderosa Stomp track.

• It's been on my want list forever...would love to score a copy of that. I've been putting my set together the last couple weeks, think I will forgo rarity and play Little Richard's "heebie jeebies" as it had tore up the floor the last 2 times I've played it out...goes great with another one of my picks for the stomp, Etta James "tough lover"...I love soul and funk as the next guy but there is something about the 50s stuff played loud as hell And heard with a belly full of whiskey...it seems nothing else will do...

Rockadelic said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    Also check for Specialty sides of the same era...more small group stuff (not as thick on the horn charts and orchestration, more "raw") don and Dewey, Larry Williams, the chimes, Lloyd price...tons of great sides

Absolutely......E, do you have Cherokee Dance by Bob "Froggy" Landers?? The flip is this crazy "Unitar Rock" tune played on a one stringed geetar by Willie Joe.....either would be a great Ponderosa Stomp track.

• shit, he'd be into a lot of Louis Jordan stuff even if he likes this.

also, New Orleans R&B from the 50s:

Smiley Lewis
    Guitar Slim
    Spiders
    Lloyd Price

also, tell him to exhaust Ray Charles '55-'62 work. same vibe.

• willie_fugal said:

also, New Orleans R&B from the 50s:

Smiley Lewis
    Guitar Slim
    Spiders
    Lloyd Price

absolutely, especially the new Orleans recorded sides for Vee Jay...more often than not backed by the Upsetters (little Richards backing band)...also stuff on instant, ric, valiant...Although not a Nola label, don't sleep on Ace stuff either

This is NOT in the style Markus was looking for but all this Specialty/NOLA talk reminded me of this track plus I wanted to see if I could embed a Youtube clip which I have not done since the site changes.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The Specialty Don & Dewey collection LP circa 1970 is essential. Don and Dewey kill.

B/W

Richard Berry!!!

and Nolan Strong/Nathaniel Mayer

• um, whoever made those Down In The Basement mixes please to be reposting them here? i only was able to hear vol 4 and part of vol 1 but i think its relevant here. plus im trying to get my hands on downloading those because they were fucking great. i was only able to pick up vol 4.