Which NFL team should I ride for?

pimlicosquirrelpimlicosquirrel 772 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
We are getting great free coverage from the NFL in Australia now and I'm really enjoying it. With no regional bias to work with, I'm wondering which team I should ride for AND WHY?

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    In ye olde days before the interweb, I wrote to a whole bunch of teams asking for free stuff (as I was in the UK I assumed this would be a bit of a novelty for them). Only 3 out of 12 replied; Rams, Chiefs and Chargers. The Rams replied first and I thought Eric Dickerson was cool, so I went with them.

Seen them a couple of times too. Not had the time or TV coverage to follow the game properly for about 10 years doe, otherwise I'd have a go in the strut Fantasy game.

• pimlicosquirrel --> pimlico race track --> baltimore --> Baltimore Ravens.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    The Patriots. Because you're proud to be an American...... football watcher.

Plus, our quarterback is married to this lady:

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    They play the Outback Bowl in Tampa, so...

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS.

Pittsburgh is my home town. It is a blue collar city that has seen it's share of ups and downs, but the people are super nice and down to earth and proud to live there. Their Defense will be killing it this year. Troy Polamalou has the most glorious head of hair I have ever seen and has a contract with a shampoo company because of it.

Our football team has won the most super bowls (6) and prides itself and nurturing and developing talent rather than BUYING it like the Dallas Cowboys. Haters hate because of this.

Some might argue that our "star" quarterback is a rapist, but he has never been convicted of anything. If anything, do not root for the Philadelphia Eagles because they have a convicted dog killer behind snap.

My second favorite team is the San Diego Chargers.... because I'm a huge Vincent Jackson fan. But their owner is a moron and won't give anybody the money they deserve. So, most of the team underachieves.

• RAJ said:
    THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS.
    If anything, do not root for the Philadelphia Eagles because they have a convicted dog killer behind snap.

I say this as an Eagles fan, nobody who didn't grow up in the Philadelphia area should ever be subjected to the pain and humiliation of being an Eagles fan. It's like family, you don't really get to pick.

• Lotsa folks are picking the Pack to be champs this year, all though we took a couple bad injuries in week one.

The Green Bay Packers have won more championships -- 12 -- than any other team in National Football League history.

They won their first three by league standing (1929, 1930 and 1931), and nine since the NFL's playoff system was established in 1933 (1936, 1939, 1944, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967 and 1996).

Green Bay also is the only NFL team to win three straight titles, having done it twice (1929-30-31 and 1965-66-67).

In addition, the Packers won the first two Super Bowls (over Kansas City in 1966, 35-10, and over Oakland in 1967, 33-14), as well as a more recent one (over New England in 1996, 35-21).

Since the league implemented a playoff system in 1933, the Packers have played in the NFL's deciding game 12 times (10 NFL title appearances from 1936-67, two Super Bowls after the 1970 merger). Only the Giants (18) have played for more titles.

Most World Championships:
    Green Bay Packers, 12
    Chicago Bears, 9
    New York Giants, 7
    Pittsburgh Steelers, 6
    Dallas Cowboys, 5
    San Francisco 49ers, 5
    Washington Redskins, 5
    Cleveland Browns, 4
    Detroit Lions, 4
    Indianapolis/Baltimore Colts, 4

• DustedDon said:
    Lotsa folks are picking the Pack to be champs this year, all though we took a couple bad injuries in week one.
    The Green Bay Packers have won more championships -- 12 -- than any other team in National Football League history.

They won their first three by league standing (1929, 1930 and 1931), and nine since the NFL's playoff system was established in 1933 (1936, 1939, 1944, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967 and 1996).

Green Bay also is the only NFL team to win three straight titles, having done it twice (1929-30-31 and 1965-66-67).

In addition, the Packers won the first two Super Bowls (over Kansas City in 1966, 35-10, and over Oakland in 1967, 33-14), as well as a more recent one (over New England in 1996, 35-21).

Since the league implemented a playoff system in 1933, the Packers have played in the NFL's deciding game 12 times (10 NFL title appearances from 1936-67, two Super Bowls after the 1970 merger). Only the Giants (18) have played for more titles.

Most World Championships:
    Green Bay Packers, 12
    Chicago Bears, 9
    New York Giants, 7
    Pittsburgh Steelers, 6
    Dallas Cowboys, 5
    San Francisco 49ers, 5
    Washington Redskins, 5
    Cleveland Browns, 4
    Detroit Lions, 4
    Indianapolis/Baltimore Colts, 4

You must be a Yankee fan, too.

• DustedDon said:

You must be a Yankee fan, too.

Neva that.... im from cheeseland now living in the Twin Cities among these pathetic Vik-Queens fans...

RAJ said:
    Some might argue that our "star" quarterback is a rapist, but he has never been convicted of anything.

Convictions or no, Ben Roethlisberger is a complete ass.

• I've been a Steelers fan since I was a kid and a Dallas hater forever. This year I am also going to be pulling for the Jets mainly because of LaDanian Tomlinson...he is a horned frog and I am a horned frog... We haven't had a superstar since Bob Lilly, so I gotta root for LT...it's going to be tough rooting for the Jets, but I am going to give it a shot.

DB_Cooper said:
    RAJ said:
    Some might argue that our "star" quarterback is a rapist, but he has never been convicted of anything.

DB_Cooper said:
    RAJ said:

Tom Brady sounds like a complete ass to, though. Knocking up Bridget Monyhan and leaving her all barefoot and pregnant and shit for some model with a man face.

Oh the $100,000 car he wrecked that was a gift from a charity. WTF?

The_Hook_Up said:
    This year I am also going to be pulling for the Jets mainly because of LaDanian Tomlinson...he is a horned frog and I am a horned frog... We haven't had a superstar since Bob Lilly .

What, Kenneth Davis wasn't good enough for you?

• HarveyCanal said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    This year I am also going to be pulling for the Jets mainly because of LaDanian Tomlinson...he is a horned frog and I am a horned frog... We haven't had a superstar since Bob Lilly .

you're right, slipped my mind

RAJ said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    RAJ said:

Tom Brady sounds like a complete ass to, though. Knocking up Bridget Monyhan and leaving her all barefoot and pregnant and shit for some model with a man face.

Oh the $100,000 car he wrecked that was a gift from a charity. WTF?

I'm not comparing the two ??? they can both have their faults. The Moynihan thing was a really bad look. I'd rather hang out with the more mature, less rapey guy though.

The_Hook_Up said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

He wasn't really a superstar, but noteworthy nonetheless.

• unityunity 179 Posts
    WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T PICK THE LIONS!!!

Being a Lions fan is like being in hell, but one that is unrelenting in its hilarity... HOW WILL THEY LOSE NEXT WEEK?!?!.

• Options
    RAJ said:

She left him.

The whole thing does sound like a Maury episode, though.

• For the record, the Lions weren't robbed, they just enforced a really shitty rule.

You should root for the Saints. No one apart from Falcons fans hate them (maybe Cowboys fans too), and they're going to be good this year. Plus NOLA is one of the best cities in the entire world.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    RAJ said:
    THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS

There is no competition.

Garcia_Vega said:
    For the record, the Lions weren't robbed, they just enforced a really shitty rule.

How in the world are you making a distinction with this statement? Not to put too much on it, but such a perspective is what's wrong with the world today. When known bullshit scribed to paper trumps the in-the-flesh reality of a situation is bad enough. But when people play apologist for such crap, it really takes the cake.

That was clearly a touchdown...and Brady fumbled forever and ever.

HarveyCanal said:

Yes and yes.

• HarveyCanal said:
    Garcia_Vega said:
    For the record, the Lions weren't robbed, they just enforced a really shitty rule.

How in the world are you making a distinction with this statement? Not to put too much on it, but such a perspective is what's wrong with the world today. When known bullshit scribed to paper trumps the in-the-flesh reality of a situation is bad enough. But when people play apologist for such crap, it really takes the cake.

A rule is a rule. You have a problem with it, change it, eliminate it. But it exists as is, and must be enforced.

Garcia_Vega said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Garcia_Vega said:

A rule is a rule. You have a problem with it, change it, eliminate it. But it exists as is, and must be enforced.

Boom. TUCK RULE BATCHES!

• Options
    Garcia_Vega said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Garcia_Vega said:

Aw, let the Raiders fans cry. It's not like they have anything to cheer for these days.

• He came out of the death penalty team of 87....although you never hear of him, because he wasn't a winning coach..but coach wacker probably had more integrity than any other college coach of his era...imagine taking over a winning program, and turning in your own team because some shady shit was going down, even though you had no part in it? None of these coaches today would dream of doing that. Raer.

HarveyCanal said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

He wasn't really a superstar, but noteworthy nonetheless.

• DJ_Enki said:
    RAJ said:
    THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS

There is no competition.

another good thing about being a stiller fan is you can go pretty much anywhere in the world, and still be able to find a bar whose theme is your favorite team, thus always having a place to watch the game & being able to make friends with strangers anywhere simply based on your allegiance to the black & gold

not to mention braggin rights (most super bowl wins of any team)

with all that said, if the steel still doesn't float your boat, the Saints seem like nice 2nd choice. seems hard for anyone but division rivals to hate on them.

leisurebandit said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    RAJ said:
    THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS

There is no competition.

another good thing about being a stiller fan is you can go pretty much anywhere in the world, and still be able to find a bar whose theme is your favorite team, thus always having a place to watch the game & being able to make friends with strangers anywhere simply based on your allegiance to the black & gold

I was out on Ocracoke Island last week. It's a glorified sandbar off the coast of North Carolina with a population of, oh, a couple hundred folks. There was a Steelers bar there, complete with a huge Steelers banner out front. Awesome.

Garcia_Vega said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Garcia_Vega said:

LOL @ it MUST be enforced. Not every face mask gets called, not every holding gets called, but this one obscure interpetation of a hardly known rule...yes, that one MUST be enforced.