Equipment Strut: Portable digital recorders

DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
I'm looking to buy a portable digital recorder so I can start recording my DJ sets. I don't want anything fancy, just a simple unit that I can plug into the mixer, that will reliably record for an extended period of time (up to about 4 hours, if I'm recording the entire night), and that makes exporting the recorded audio easy (so I can dump it into Pro Tools, for example).

What doth the Strut recommend?

Comments

• i am also in need of this recommendation, please HALP

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Without a doubt.

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h4n/

One of the best things about this is you can record direct/line in from the mixer and also record the room live with the mics on a separate track.

• Zoom h4n's are nice, especially if you intend on using them with external microphones...aside from that the Sony units are pretty durable & are good quality, check the PCM-M10 or the PCM-D50

• I have an Olympus Linear PCM Recorder called LS-10 which I highly recommend. I havent tried the line-input though. I have mostly used mine for interviews.

Dress

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    how deep do I have to get for a good podcast-level portable?
    anyone have any experience with the zoom h2? there's a part of me that wants to be able to plug in 1/4" mics like the h4, but that may be silly. Can you plop the H2 down on a table and interview your dad and expect it to come out all nice panned stereo'd amazing?

and can it edit my dad's stories down to a manageable length?
    ha! dadjoke...

looking at all these PORTABLE_UNITZ, getting lost. Could probably get away with putting my iPod on the tabletop, but like the idea of multiple mics, eXpecially externals.

THANKS IN ADVANCE HAPPY FOLKS

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    I rock the Tascam DR-07. Not expensive, gets the job done, easy to use.

• Bon Vivant said:
    I rock the Tascam DR-07. Not expensive, gets the job done, easy to use.

I have one of these too. Works great. I swapped out the 2gb card for an 8gb.