Who still uses milk crates to store their record collection?

Manduro3000Manduro3000 265 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
Or did everyone pretty much graduated to ikea expedits? Are old school crates now obsolete?

Comments

• I do only because If I need to move I can just pick the crates up/pack and go unless I need to put them in boxes.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I have shelves at home, but still use crates to haul records to gigs.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    These are the joints:

I use them as sale crates so as to keep chud organized and in order. Plus, you don't have to steal them from the back of a Safeway!

I use Expedit's for everything else that's filed.

• Expidit and shelves here besides a few milk crates for the stragglers but they on the way out.

• musica said:

I still use these, but been thinking its time to uprade. I just got use to having the abulity to be mobile.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I do and i need to graduate from that shit. It looks too college-ish at this point.

• i have a combo of the built in shelves and crates.

most of my records are in (what we call here) "Twin Cities Dairy" crates, it was an old dairy company from the early 70's that went out of business and these crates are hard to find because they fit records prefectly in 20 years of collecting i have only came across 12 of these crates, the rest are in "Farmers Dairy" (the replacement of Twin Cities mid 80's) crates which suck because it has your albums on an angle...

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    batmon said:
    I do and i need to graduate from that shit. It looks too college-ish at this point.
    i had mad crates in my old place and the change to 2 expedits is the greatest thing that happend to me and my living conditions/appearance

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Milk crates are mad college dorm looking.

The expedite is my favorite... but if I had to stick to something portable... Bags Unlimited LP Boxes.... or 8000 Platter-Paks

• I have two crates for overflow. Otherwise everything is in a proper shelf.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Was just talking about this on the weekend - I do for home storage but definitely not to carry around. That hard heavy plastic adds needless weight.

The bulk are in Expedit and Billy shelves though...and on the floor :(

• I actually keep about half of my 45's in these.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    bassie said:
    ...and on the floor :(

This is my downfall. My plan to fix this is to have 4 open crates next my turntables that are neatly categorized for either new mix projects or new chud that I acquire. It's a constant battle keeping the floors around my turntables clear!

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    I keep my 12s in crates that slot into the expedit.

This means I can pull out whole crates at a time and flip through with ease.

LPs are stacked regular on the epedit.

• musica said:
    bassie said:
    ...and on the floor :(

This is my downfall. My plan to fix this is to have 4 open crates next my turntables that are neatly categorized for either new mix projects or new chud that I acquire. It's a constant battle keeping the floors around my turntables clear!

Word, I have the same issue. Everytime I grab some new jawns I usually move whatever records are already sitting next to my decks downstairs into storage. Problem is, my buying habits are much quicker than my listening habits and most get shuffled downstairs and stumbled upon months later when I realized I didn't totally listen to them the whole way through.