How often do you make the rounds?

minneapminneap 541 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
I just found a thrift store close to me (suburbs-r) that has a few bins in the back. It's definitely a for old people, by old people kind of vibe and they definitely don't know what they're sitting on. All lps are $.50 and 45s are a quarter. Probably won't turn out to be a grail spot but I came up on nine pieces last time that I didn't mind dropping a few coins on.

Question: how long do you wait to revisit a place like this? Weekly, bi-weekly, monthly? Is it worth your time to dig through the same "Bing Crosby Sings Christmas" crates to pull a couple half way decent finds?

Comments

• usually i check back frequently at first til i get a solid idea of turnover and how often they acquire new shit. i.e. weekly with maybe a middle of the week tossed in there. if stock stays exactly the same, i decrease the frequency to bi weekly or monthly as needed based upon the above.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    The only way to be sure is daily or whenever you can.

I hit the spots around my uni on a daily basis, and out of the blue, someone drops of a collection. *BAM*.

it's funny how often u see the same people out doing the same thing.

Diggers envy b/w Diggers silence.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Give them your business card and tell them that if they call you whenever they get records in you'll pay 5x what they usually charge.

If you don't have business cards get some.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    what does Half Price Books usually charge?

$1??

;)

Soulhawk said:
    what does Half Price Books usually charge?

$1??

;)

That's a whole nother ball game.

They turn over so many records that I know I need to hit each and every one of them (16) at least once a week.

Most of the folks who are in charge of the records at each store are in to vinyl themselves....so I just find out what they are in to and bring them some freebies from time to time.

Then when a big collection or something special comes in I'm near the top of the list of folks they call to give them a head's up.

I've often found that using the old 'I will pay 5 x what you normally charge' will often make the shopowners suspicious( esp if they are not really knowledgeable about vinyl)

"did you hear what that young fella said Ethel? I think these old records are worth a FORTUNE..."

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Prices vary from store to store, but the HPB closest to me has had a recent upsurge in records with $30 price tags. Some, like an og Scientist vs. the Space Invaders, I understand...but others, like a rinked Clones of Dr. Funkensten or a Kraftwerk Tour de France 12"...plaese to be serious.

• HarveyCanal said:
    Proces vary from store to store, but the HPB closest to me has had a recent upsurge in records with $30 price tags. Some, like an og Scientist vs. the Space Invaders, I understand...but others, like a rinked Clones of Dr. Funkensten or a Kraftwerk Tour de France 12"...plaese to be serious.

HPBs get trigger happy all too often, but they overlook shit just as often. evens out in the end (record karma related).

HarveyCanal said:
    Prices vary from store to store, but the HPB closest to me has had a recent upsurge in records with $30 price tags. Some, like an og Scientist vs. the Space Invaders, I understand...but others, like a rinked Clones of Dr. Funkensten or a Kraftwerk Tour de France 12"...plaese to be serious.

With 16 stores here I see a wide variety of pricing and knowledge on the part of HPB employees.

One common phenomena is the new record department dude who is so afraid of underpricing something that they overprice everything.

But make no mistake...the ATX stores and the D/FW stores are as different as night and day.

• I make my rounds whenever I can during the week, especially if I'm passing by the thrift store/flea/record store during my lunch break. Consistency and persistence is the name of the game on this one, as well as knowing who you buy from. Also I find that if you just mention that you are looking for records to an older person they pipe up and say "I've got a ton of those" 9 times out of 10. And most are willing to sell.

• I make my rounds whenever I can during the week, especially if I'm passing by the thrift store/flea/record store during my lunch break. Consistency and persistence is the name of the game on this one, as well as knowing who you buy from. Also I find that if you just mention that you are looking for records to an older person they pipe up and say "I've got a ton of those" 9 times out of 10. And most are willing to sell.

• Rockadelic said:
    HarveyCanal said:

With 16 stores here I see a wide variety of pricing and knowledge on the part of HPB employees.

One common phenomena is the new record department dude who is so afraid of underpricing something that they overprice everything.

But make no mistake...the ATX stores and the D/FW stores are as different as night and day.

Hey Rock,

I am hitting up the DFW/Arlington area in a few weeks for the OU/TX game and have that Friday free. You mind giving some suggestions on good spots to dig? Thanks bro!

• Rockadelic said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Hey Rock,

I am hitting up the DFW/Arlington area in a few weeks for the OU/TX game and have that Friday free. You mind giving some suggestions on good spots to dig? Thanks bro!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    InnerSpace said:
    Rockadelic said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Hey Rock,

Rock, make sure dude is legitimately pulling for the Horns before you tell him anything good.

b/w

OU Sucks!

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I haven't read this whole thread but just in case it hasn't been mentioned. I always check to see if there is a set day that they put new stuff out or do they put it out as it comes in. Also, check to see who is responsible for the records at the store. Some spots I've already past a few bucks to the "record dude/chick" to sit stuff aside or release it on a certain day. If you're not a people person then I'd hit the spot bi-weekly BUT if you can get a re-pour going with someone that is definitely the way to go. Get these people in your pocket.

• HarveyCanal said:
    InnerSpace said:
    Rockadelic said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Hey Rock,

Rock, make sure dude is legitimately pulling for the Horns before you tell him anything good.

b/w

OU Sucks!

Haha! Well, I might as well prepare for the worse then! If you tell me that Hastings has a great selection of vinyl to choose from then I will take the hint. If it helps any, Rock, my wife and I are going to the Rangers game the Thursday before against the Angels. And we are die hard Rangers fans! Nudge nudge...

• whoa man... you alright?

InnerSpace said:
    whoa man... you alright?

it's nothing a BAN wouldn't fix...

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Not this shit again..

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Okem said:
    Not this shit again..

LOL, all you can do is sit back and laugh, HA!!

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Checking to see if they have a set day when they put new stuff out is always good.

Other than that It completely depends on the spot though. Like has been said it's best to go there quite a bit and see what the turnover is like and then go as much as is needed.

• I stopped in again today to see if anything new had been dropped off but none of the employees seemed to know or remember. I picked up "Chipmunk Punk" for wifey but that was about it. I'm still holding out some hope for this place though.