Brokencyde: Discuss

nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
I just saw this:

Then i read this:

From Wiki: Brokencyde has been universally panned by critics.

Metal Edge magazine has called Brokencyde "fucking horrendous".[14] "Thrash Magazine" has called them "a mockery to the world of music". Cracked.com contributor Michael Swaim said the band sounded like "a Slipknot-Cher duet".[15] [16] British commentator Warren Ellis calls Brokencyde's "FreaXXX" music video "a near-perfect snapshot of everything that???s shit about this point in the culture".[17]

The New Musical Express stated in a review of I'm Not a Fan, But the Kids Like It!, that "even if I caught Prince Harry and Gary Glitter adorned in Nazi regalia defecating through my grandmother???s letterbox I would still consider making them listen to this album too severe a punishment."[18]

Alex Gaskarth of All Time Low told mtv.com:

"There used to be that whole mentality of ... it had to be 100 percent genuine, or no one would take it seriously. But that whole line has been blurred now ... You have all these kids coming up on Disney pop who then discover bands like BrokeNCYDE, and they're like, 'Oh my God, they said fuck!,' and they fall in love instantly, because it's their version of '80s punk."[19]

August Brown of the Los Angeles Times writes:

"This 'Albucrazy'-based band has done for MySpace emo what some think Soulja Boy did for hip-hop: turn their career into a kind of macro-performance art that exists so far beyond the tropes of irony and sincerity that to ask 'are they kidding?' is like trying to peel an onion to get to a perceived central core that, in the end, does not exist and renders all attempts to reassemble the pieces futile."[20]

Brown further stated, in a review of the Los Angeles stop of the Vans Warped Tour:

"The prerecorded backing tracks and juvenile misogyny of bands such as the New Mexico screamo-crunk act BrokenCYDE are affronts to traditionalist punk values."[21]

Thought id share.

Comments

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Brokencyde have borrowed so heavily from Limp Bizkit that it must be asked, at what point does homage become theft? However, the main point is that the young Fred Durst was on fire. He was indeed the imperious Zack de La Rocha???s true heir. For Brokencyde, rage is mainly decor and surface; they're like a laminated piece of ersatz rococo furniture. Alarmingly, Generation Brokencyde can???t tell the difference. Is it the death of rage? Perhaps the symbolic status that rage had for a century has gone kaput; that blazing trajectory is over???

• Junior said:
    Brokencyde have borrowed so heavily from Limp Bizkit that it must be asked, at what point does homage become theft? However, the main point is that the young Fred Durst was on fire. He was indeed the imperious Zack de La Rocha???s true heir. For Brokencyde, rage is mainly decor and surface; they're like a laminated piece of ersatz rococo furniture. Alarmingly, Generation Brokencyde can???t tell the difference. Is it the death of rage? Perhaps the symbolic status that rage had for a century has gone kaput; that blazing trajectory is over???

well played.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    * Se7en ??? screamed vocals (2006???present)
    * Mikl ??? clean vocals (2006???present)
    * Phat J ??? synthesizers, guitars, beats, backing vocals, death growls (2007???present)
    * Antz ??? beats, fog machine, lights, backing vocals (2008???present)

:beerbang:

• nzshadow said:
    "even if I caught Prince Harry and Gary Glitter adorned in Nazi regalia defecating through my grandmother???s letterbox I would still consider making them listen to this album too severe a punishment."

:killin_it:

• nzshadow said:
    screamo-crunk

• ringtone rock?

ringtween-mo?

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    I'm embarassed that these tools came out of my home state of New Mexico. I'm not surprised at all, though.

More:

Less: