Ill take mine without the bells please (boxset related)

mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

cant find too much info on it...but i like the looks of it.
comes out Ocotber of this year.
Even if its not a completists dream...itll be nice to have a good CTI comp/boxset out there. For some reason, there has never really been one :(
"Masterworks Jazz"? Is that Sony?
Sorry if this is a repeat post

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    mrmatthew said:

Even if its not a completists dream...itll be nice to have a good CTI comp/boxset out there.

Why?

It's not as if the original presings are difficult to acquire.

• faux_rillz said:
    mrmatthew said:

Even if its not a completists dream...itll be nice to have a good CTI comp/boxset out there.

Why?

It's not as if the original presings are difficult to acquire.

im a sucker for boxsets, what can i say.
    And i like Pete Turner.
    and id like to have some CTI classics (mardi gras, nautilus, etc) without all the filler. And there was ALOT of filler on some of those CTI albums.

• For any other label maybe, but for CTI, one of the most beautifully packaged labels ever? I can't imagine a CD box-set beating the original high gloss gatefolds of Pete Turner's photography. But whatever makes you happy man,

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I always thought box set was synonymous with filler.

• As well as the obvious beats, what other tracks would you like to see on this? Though it should, I bet it won't have these Turrentine gems from his oft ignored Salt Song LP:

• wont happen, but in a perfect world it would be...

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    I always thought box set was synonymous with filler.

Me too. They advertise it like, "Get (insert name here) 50 biggest songs on 3 cds". And the artist is known for one hit.

• Box Sets definitely have that vibe of Time Life series and Hit's from the 70's for sure. There are a few box sets that I can defend though. One being Mosaic's line of Blue Notes. There is some unreleased material on some of those that would have been a shame to let sit in the vaults. Especially the Andrew Hill albums they pulled out.

But this is DEFINITELY an exception, not the rule. Most box sets bite, including this CTI one. I agree that 25% of the appeal to those albums is the cover. Just pick up Bob James- Two and you would understand. You completely lose that with a box.

Sometimes I have the suspicion that companies that release a box are just milking as much out of those albums as possible by compiling them all together. Kind of a "well we own the rights to these, might as well release them again and bank some more cash". But I could be wrong.

• of course they are milking it.this cti cd box set might have been a really good idea like 10-15 years ago.

btw- has anyone ever seen or heard the jj and kai winding album "stonebone"
    edit: just found it, here it is
    http://jazzstation-oblogdearnaldodesouteiros.blogspot.com/2008/12/vinyl-of-day-j-stonebone.html

the cover is stunning:

price czech?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Most egregious is the fact that you're buying CDs.

• Reynaldo said:
    Most egregious is the fact that you're buying CDs.

Youre right.
    I should be ashamed. Thanks SoulStrut for setting me straight.
    Please accept my apologies for the post, and for my enthusiasm, at this obvious ploy by the record companies to get me to stop "keeping it real".

Its still gonna be on my christmas list though;)

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    InnerSpace said:
    Box Sets definitely have that vibe of Time Life series and Hit's from the 70's for sure. There are a few box sets that I can defend though. One being Mosaic's line of Blue Notes. There is some unreleased material on some of those that would have been a shame to let sit in the vaults. Especially the Andrew Hill albums they pulled out.

But this is DEFINITELY an exception, not the rule. Most box sets bite, including this CTI one. I agree that 25% of the appeal to those albums is the cover. Just pick up Bob James- Two and you would understand. You completely lose that with a box.

Sometimes I have the suspicion that companies that release a box are just milking as much out of those albums as possible by compiling them all together. Kind of a "well we own the rights to these, might as well release them again and bank some more cash". But I could be wrong.

True. Mosaic is unfuckablewith. When I get them, I am afraid to play them (if it is on lp) because they are so perfect I don't want to diminish them. So with Mosaic, for my listening pleasure I would rather have cds. Of course I can't afford them.

Also the Stax Box sure was great when it came out, and I do play my box of Beatles lps. Nice having them all together like that.

• I am a sucker for box sets too, but this is not really, really a box set. it's just a comp on 4 cd's isn't it?

i recently got the tribe and black jazz box sets, and will be damned if they are not the most beautiful things i own.

• Coming October 26.

I ride.

Jefferson Airplane Live At The Fillmore West 10/15/66 Late Show???Signe???s Farewell
    Jefferson Airplane Live At The Fillmore West 10/16/66 Early & Late Shows???Grace???s Debut
    Jefferson Airplane Live At The Fillmore West 11/25/66 & 11/27/66???We Have Ignition
    Jefferson Airplane Return To The Matrix 02/01/1968

crabmongerfunk said:
    of course they are milking it.this cti cd box set might have been a really good idea like 10-15 years ago.

btw- has anyone ever seen or heard the jj and kai winding album "stonebone"
    edit: just found it, here it is
    http://jazzstation-oblogdearnaldodesouteiros.blogspot.com/2008/12/vinyl-of-day-j-stonebone.html

the cover is stunning:

price czech?

It's apparently quite rare, but I'm not sure demand would be that heavy.

• Rishan said:
    I am a sucker for box sets too, but this is not really, really a box set. it's just a comp on 4 cd's isn't it?

i recently got the tribe and black jazz box sets, and will be damned if they are not the most beautiful things i own.

I would understand the Tribe Box but the Black Jazz stuff is affordable enough on vinyl that it is worth the purchases... how many are there? Like 25 or so. I own them all except the Kellee Patterson because it just didn't do it for me. All ranged from $20 -$50 each and most were promos and another plus is that they are quadrophonic if you are into that kind of thing.

• InnerSpace said:
    Rishan said:
    I am a sucker for box sets too, but this is not really, really a box set. it's just a comp on 4 cd's isn't it?

I would understand the Tribe Box but the Black Jazz stuff is affordable enough on vinyl that it is worth the purchases... how many are there? Like 25 or so. I own them all except the Kellee Patterson because it just didn't do it for me. All ranged from $20 -$50 each and most were promos and another plus is that they are quadrophonic if you are into that kind of thing.

22 i think. yeah the kellee patterson and cleveland eaton are the only ones i don't like. they are all very hard to pick up on vinyl here in the uk though. that's why i went for it. plus it looks cool on the shelf

• dudes, Stonebone??

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    dudes, Stonebone??

According to some, it was issued only in limited quantities in Japan.

This fact, while interesting, does nothing to dissuade me from my suspicion that it is a total terd, though.

b/w

• Rishan said:
    InnerSpace said:
    Rishan said:

22 i think. yeah the kellee patterson and cleveland eaton are the only ones i don't like. they are all very hard to pick up on vinyl here in the uk though. that's why i went for it. plus it looks cool on the shelf

I can understand that. b/w Rudolph Johnson and Roland Haynes are the shite! Wish they both had more albums out!

• leonleon 883 Posts
    By the way, if anyone's interested, it seems the whole Black Jazz catalogue is for sale?

http://www.blackjazz.com/

• sabadabada said:

Coming October 26.

I ride.

Jefferson Airplane Live At The Fillmore West 10/15/66 Late Show???Signe???s Farewell
    Jefferson Airplane Live At The Fillmore West 10/16/66 Early & Late Shows???Grace???s Debut
    Jefferson Airplane Live At The Fillmore West 11/25/66 & 11/27/66???We Have Ignition
    Jefferson Airplane Return To The Matrix 02/01/1968

These just came in the mail today and they're pretty nice.