What to do in Dallas????/

kemskems 120 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
I couldn't find much on Dallas in the City Guide although that feature is the shit. Can anyone put me up on some record spots, steak houses, gear/shoe spots or anything to do in general? Me and some of my boys are going out there for a quick trip to hit the Bears vs. Cowboys game from Sept 18-20 and any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• If Bill's records is still around, i'd take a walk through that spot. Pretty much a warehouse of stuff. Sort of reminds me of the thing in brooklyn, not all 100% heat, lots of BS, but occasional weird gems.

I hit up a shit ton of thrifts when i was there too, had a list of 'em at some point but this was a while ago so my best guess is just look 'em up in a phonebook or internet.

Spent time in Irving and got a really good bowl of Pho.

And thats about all i had time for.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The game will be in Arlington which is between Dallas & Fort Worth.....best store in the area is Doc's Records on Montgomery St. in Fort Worth....as good a store for used stuff that you'll find anywhere. Down the street from Doc's is the best Bar-B-Q in the area at The Railhead.

In Dallas all we have are Half Price Books but there are 16 locations....all are hit or miss but if I had to go to just one it would be the main store on Northwest Highway at I-75.

Bill's is a waste of time imo.

Good steakhouses aplenty.....Nick & Sam's is top notch....Morton's....Bob's Steak & Chop House....all good...all expensive.

For a real unusual treat check out Campisi's Egyptian Room on Mockingbird Lane at I-75 for really good old school Italian(I'm from NY and married an Italian girl and this joint is good) and try "Dallas-style" pizza which will not dissapoint and is unique.

North Park Mall is close to Campisi's and the main HPB and is where all the old Dallas money shops....standard hipster fare....Urban Outfitters...Van's....etc.

Saturday in Arlington you may want to try the Prince Lebonese Grill on Randol Mill Road.....was featured by Guy Fieri on the Food Channel and has the best falafel I've ever had.

I'll be out of town looking at a 100K piece jazz collection that weekend or else I'd be happy to show you around.....hope you have a blast and that the Bears go home very asshurt.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    What is Dallas style pizza? I'm assuming a cow is involved?

• A secret squreel spot for the best steak I have ever had in the states is a spot called Margies on hwy 80 in Fort Worth...it's a 16 oz garlic-encrusted rib eye...so fantastic. But ya gotta get there before 8 or 9, because it is usually the first thing on the menu they run out of...

The_Non said:
    What is Dallas style pizza? I'm assuming a cow is involved?

Been in business since the 40???s and was a hang-out for the Jack Ruby Mob Crew back in the day

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_drUMJ9HF-tQ/SWZyNYUNkiI/AAAAAAAAG2k/IUjBR0236jk/s1600-h/Campisis.jpg

Thin wheat crust with any topping you want???..meat is optional???.I???ve taken a few Strutters here and the reviews are always good.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3389/3453206395_7e5198075d.jpg?v=0

And on most nights you will be shown to your table by Ms. Amber Campisi.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1076/1234453221_0b82d0e069.jpg?v=0

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Amber!

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• Rockadelic said:
    The game will be in Arlington which is between Dallas & Fort Worth.....best store in the area is Doc's Records on Montgomery St. in Fort Worth....as good a store for used stuff that you'll find anywhere. Down the street from Doc's is the best Bar-B-Q in the area at The Railhead.

In Dallas all we have are Half Price Books but there are 16 locations....all are hit or miss but if I had to go to just one it would be the main store on Northwest Highway at I-75.

Bill's is a waste of time imo.

Good steakhouses aplenty.....Nick & Sam's is top notch....Morton's....Bob's Steak & Chop House....all good...all expensive.

For a real unusual treat check out Campisi's Egyptian Room on Mockingbird Lane at I-75 for really good old school Italian(I'm from NY and married an Italian girl and this joint is good) and try "Dallas-style" pizza which will not dissapoint and is unique.

North Park Mall is close to Campisi's and the main HPB and is where all the old Dallas money shops....standard hipster fare....Urban Outfitters...Van's....etc.

Saturday in Arlington you may want to try the Prince Lebonese Grill on Randol Mill Road.....was featured by Guy Fieri on the Food Channel and has the best falafel I've ever had.

I'll be out of town looking at a 100K piece jazz collection that weekend or else I'd be happy to show you around.....hope you have a blast and that the Bears go home very asshurt.

fuck, wish i asked on here before i went.

The_Hook_Up said:
    A secret squreel spot for the best steak I have ever had in the states is a spot called Margies on hwy 80 in Fort Worth...it's a 16 oz garlic-encrusted rib eye...so fantastic. But ya gotta get there before 8 or 9, because it is usually the first thing on the menu they run out of...

http://pegasusnews.com/media/img/photos/2009/02/09/thumbs/Margies.jpg.520x520_q85.jpg

indeed

• kemskems 120 Posts
    Damn that pizza looks something serious. Thanks to everyone especially Rockadelic, that jazz collection sounds crazy. Good luck on that and maybe we can get up next time i'm there. I'm definitely there once a year to see the Boys do the damn thing live.

How about any spots to hit up on Saturday night? Or any other suggestions for that matter. All is appreciated.

• Campisi's is great....it was introduced to me in college by our soccer coach. I was the team trainer and we would always go there after we played SMU since it was right down the street...I became a loyal customer. Best Chickren Parmegano I've ever had.

• kemskems 120 Posts
    Thanks again to everyone. Really looking forward to this trip and hopefully the Boys can get shit corrected. Sunday was not a good look.