School me on Klaus Doldingers "Passport"

disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
This might be ridiculous as I'm from Germany but I never cared to pick up any of their albums. They were all over the fleas and second hand stores for years but everything I heard of Passport was just plain awful in my ears. Especially Doldingers sax playing has everything I hate about saxofone playing. Also the cover artwork is extra despicable. Can't even tell how many of their albums I saw because they all look similar unattractive.
Anyhow I heard people say Passport has some beats or even decent tracks. I will try again with Passport. What should I pick up next time I run into a german jazz-rock lot on the flea?

Comments

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    As far as breaks/samples, this is one of their best, IMO.

• I got a couple of their albums, they all have their moments.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    hertzhog said:
    I had a couple of their albums, they all have their moments.
    none are currently filed though, kinda cool at times but ultimately not essential.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    The Doldinger s/t 2LP is nice IMHO. And great cover artwork, if that counts.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    holmes said:
    hertzhog said:
    I had a couple of their albums, they all have their moments.
    none are currently filed though, kinda cool at times but ultimately not essential.

This applies to a lot of 70s funky fusion imho... especially of the euro variety.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    The album pictured above has a couple breaks on it, but otherwise its bad Jazz Fusion.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

This one has some funkier moments on it..... good for chopping up and has sections that you can play for a few minutes...but still alot of prog experimentalion. Its worth getting if you see it for cheep.

• ive always sort of considered them a poor man's weather report

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    disco_che said:

Never heard about those before. They look interesting, except the Doldinger one. I'm not a fan of his playing style on the Passport LPs, but I'm not that familiar with his 60s projects (Motherhood etc.). Maybe I'd like those better.

As said by others, Passport have their moments, but are not essential at all. I've kept a handful of the pre-'75 albums, mostly due to the players. The K. Schulze/W. Schmid/C. Cress combo was solid.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    jump in at around 3:29, a couple of nice bars.. ;)

• i really like Klaus Doldinger "sitar beat" that was reissued on a 7". what does that originally appear on?

• Ulysses31nicholas said:
    i really like Klaus Doldinger "sitar beat" that was reissued on a 7". what does that originally appear on?

Originally appears on the Negresco OST, which is quite raer.

It??s easier to pick up and more common on the medium-raer S/T Doldinger DLP best of Album with the window cover, from the early 70s, mentioned somewhere above as well.
    http://www.popsike.com/United-Artists-2-LP-set-Doldinger-incl-Sitar-Beat/4060009300.html
    This does not include any Passport work though, it??s a comp of some earlier Doldinger work and some of the motherhood tracks. Recommended! and IMO vastly superior to any Passport stuff he did later.

• Ulysses31nicholas said:
    i really like Klaus Doldinger "sitar beat" that was reissued on a 7". what does that originally appear on?

That was on the Negresco OST which is very good and very rare. I like Doldingers 60s output and some of his TV and Movie compositions too. He also worked with Ingfried Hoffmann (aka Memphis Black) a lot in the 60s who is my favorite german organist. I think his playing went sour when he started making Fusion music.

His most well known composition here is the theme for germanies most popular and most enduring crime series: Tatort.

• cheers che and piper! i need that. i know he did The Neverending Story and Das Boot as well, need the former on wax

• Motherhood is awesome, not too keen on the Passport stuff. I had the live album for a bit, the opening track is great but like the rest of their discography the quality-control is lacking.

• Cosmophonic said:
    Motherhood is awesome, not too keen on the Passport stuff. I had the live album for a bit, the opening track is great but like the rest of their discography the quality-control is lacking.

Oh, and it has a two-minute break.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    psst R.....

• fejmelba said:
    psst R.....

:wow:

A flexi? Is it any good?

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    not his best but entertaining.