whats seattle lookin like these days?

tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
gonna be out there for a week and a half...
i know jive time is still operational. any other spots worth checking?
last time i was out there j.a.m. records was still in business. first time i walked thorugh those doors i got mowest odyssey for $6.

any good venues, shows, dj sets, stuffs like that?

good lunchtime eats?

anything else i shouldnt miss while im out there?
probly gonna go hiking for a couple days and also try to play some ball around the city, if they still plpay basketball in seatown at all.

yeah, this is a pretty standard city request, but the seattle section on the city section is kinda thin.

peace,t

Comments

• I have to go eat at Brouwer's when I'm in town. Killer selection of brews and great food!

There is a record shop not too far from there as well. Can't remember what it is called though.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    T,

Let me know when you are going to be in town and we'll kick it. Just don't test the Seattle police cause they will shoot you!!!!!

• if you have time, drive up to van and i'll take you to all the spots. there is gonna be a pretty decent record show on sunday at the croatian cultural center.

• Bop Street in Ballard is a dope spot to get lost in. The wack thing is a lot of the time you walk up there with a record that isn't priced and they'll but out the books on it. "Uh... it says it's $20... so it's $20."

• All roads lead to The Doghouse.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    All roads lead to The Doghouse.

Doghouse closed years ago.

Best thing to do in Seattle is amtrak or drive down to Portland.
    Portland's BIG Music Collectors Show is September 26th. Night Owl Record Show is October 23rd.

I went to Seattle last Sunday to see a UP soccer game. (Beat Syracuse 3-1).
    Driving into town I had a flashback to how the skyline looked in the early 80s. The 3 tallest buildings were the Smith Tower, Space Needle and Darth Vader Building.

• LaserWolf said:
    sabadabada said:

It closed the year after I left. I was only there for about a year. I worked at Ernie Steele's on Capital Hill. I loved The Dog House. It was my place. All the paintings of dogs and the organ built into the giant piano shaped bar. It was kitch heaven for me in my limegreen sharkskin suits. murray pomaded hair and Old Golds.

sabadabada said:
    LaserWolf said:
    sabadabada said:

It closed the year after I left. I was only there for about a year. I worked at Ernie Steele's on Capital Hill. I loved The Dog House. It was my place. All the paintings of dogs and the organ built into the giant piano shaped bar. It was kitch heaven for me in my limegreen sharkskin suits. murray pomaded hair and Old Golds.

Fuck.
    I had breakfast at Ernie Steele's almost every morning.
    I worked at the Happy Cobbler a few doors down. Or maybe the next block.
    Spent many a late night/early morning at the dog house and saved a place mat.

Ever eat at Franglors in the International District?

• LaserWolf said:
    sabadabada said:
    LaserWolf said:
    sabadabada said:

Fuck.

Not that I can remember. I was a stranger in a strange land and it was my girlfriend at the time that was from Pullman WA and knew the town. I orignally wanted to move to Tacoma because that was where GirlTrouble was from, and she decided she needed to save me from that and take me to Seattle. I remember Ivar's and another place near Lake Washington with a neon sign of a steaming turkey that said "time for dinner." I remember the Fallouts, Monomen, I was there the year Mia Zapatta was killed. And of course the Garage Shock in Bellingham where I met Miriam and Billy Miller from the A-Bones and they played Oh Wendy during rehersal for me. The Salad Days.

sabadabada said:
    LaserWolf said:
    sabadabada said:
    LaserWolf said:
    sabadabada said:

Fuck.

Not that I can remember. I was a stranger in a strange land and it was my girlfriend at the time that was from Pullman WA and knew the town. I orignally wanted to move to Tacoma because that was where GirlTrouble was from, and she decided she needed to save me from that and take me to Seattle. I remember Ivar's and another place near Lake Washington with a neon sign of a steaming turkey that said "time for dinner." I remember the Fallouts, Monomen, I was there the year Mia Zapatta was killed. And of course the Garage Shock in Bellingham where I met Miriam and Billy Miller from the A-Bones and they played Oh Wendy during rehersal for me. The Salad Days.

You were there about '93. I was there about '83.
    When I was there Ernie Steele's was dark neighborhood watering hole with a grill that served breakfast.
    I think it was an upscale sports bar when you worked there. Or had pretensions of being one.
    The Happy Cobbler was out of business, as was Franglors.
    Old man Ivar paid for the cities 4th of july fireworks every year until he died.
    Left all his money and the restaurants to UW.

• sabadabada said:
    LaserWolf said:
    sabadabada said:
    LaserWolf said:
    sabadabada said:

Fuck.

You were there about '93. I was there about '83.
    When I was there Ernie Steele's was dark neighborhood watering hole with a grill that served breakfast.
    I think it was an upscale sports bar when you worked there. Or had pretensions of being one.
    The Happy Cobbler was out of business, as was Franglors.
    Old man Ivar paid for the cities 4th of july fireworks every year until he died.
    Left all his money and the restaurants to UW.

83? You must be older than Rock.

• It's a little rainy, but there are more open gyms in Seattle than almost any other city. There's a good outdoor game that lasts all day (from noon on) in the summer time on Capitol Hill, in that park right across from Seattle Central CC. Not sure if it's still popping in September.

Where you hiking?

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    jjrocks said:
    There's a good outdoor game that lasts all day (from noon on) in the summer time on Capitol Hill, in that park right across from Seattle Central CC. Not sure if it's still popping in September.

Where you hiking?

I quit watching ever even looking that game's direction (on my boulevardier dailies) a couple months ago, when a game to 11 took almost an hour and a half...at first I thought it was the pain pills, then I realized it really was the skill level. There might be a day of the week that's better, but let's just say Shawn Kemp is not showing up at that court, like he used to at Greenlake.

of course I can't tell you where to go for a better game, but I'd hazard a guess it's indoors.

but that corner of Cal Anderson park is still great, for the tues/fri dodgeball and if you get a chance to feel extremely uncomfortable for the beardos pretending to be into their bike polo...

the peoplewatching is great at that court, as the (floating)bridge'n'(we don't really have a)tunnel folks eat their silly ice creams amongst krusties and supergays and weedholders and all the kids with the gravity-defying beanies and the dudes like me pretending not to love it...

i'm going there right now!

hiking: get up soon, there's new snow at 7k last week...

• LaserWolf said:
    sabadabada said:

dog gone... it became the... hurricane? where they play music too fuckin loud to taste your biscuits and gravy .

in other news, i'll be in the town next week... playing at "the tighten up" on second and bell - my old stomping grounds. bop street is filled with bullshit, but there is an occasional nugget. if you do make it to portland as well, i'll be at produce row on the 21st. shameless promo, yes, but i do love the town and i'm looking forward to seeing my homeboys.

• dukeofdelridge said:
    jjrocks said:
    There's a good outdoor game that lasts all day (from noon on) in the summer time on Capitol Hill, in that park right across from Seattle Central CC. Not sure if it's still popping in September.

Where you hiking?

I quit watching ever even looking that game's direction (on my boulevardier dailies) a couple months ago, when a game to 11 took almost an hour and a half...at first I thought it was the pain pills, then I realized it really was the skill level. There might be a day of the week that's better, but let's just say Shawn Kemp is not showing up at that court, like he used to at Greenlake.

of course I can't tell you where to go for a better game, but I'd hazard a guess it's indoors.

but that corner of Cal Anderson park is still great, for the tues/fri dodgeball and if you get a chance to feel extremely uncomfortable for the beardos pretending to be into their bike polo....

Hahah. I've only been once with some old high school teammates. Decent players and little squawking. Guess we got lucky. I've played at Greenlake many times and the games there almost always take an hour due to the usual pick-up BS.

You should probably just go to a Korean church and work on your low-post moves.

If it's dry, make a bonfire at Golden Gardens. They let fires go all night now.

• whats golden gardens? bonfires get the thumbs up!!!

my college hoops buddy is in seattle so i'll probably follow his lead...most likely indoors. but when he's at work and im free, i might saunter over to that playground...i like the sound of the people watching element. i dont need to be playing shawn kemp wannabees on my vacation.

hiking, not sure yet. we thinking olympic penninsula...a couple friends and i were looking for long woods hike, beach, hot springs, etc. shoot recommendations if you got em!

yeah bop street doesnt sound what im looking for. i'll check jive time to see if its got some heat that i need tho.

kingotto, let me know the info on your gig, maybe ill roll thru.what you spinning?

golden gardens is a park out past ballard. I dunno about all-night bonfires anymore, but that used to be the hit. This park gets run due to its actual sand...in spots...rare for the NW.

Alki beach in west SEattle has some firepits and sand, and a cool view back to the city.

Hikes on the beachwise: you go out to the coast. You cannot go wrong. Shi Shi beach, cape alava, second/third beaches out of the Twilight town Forks...you cannot go wrong.

I'd suggest also getting on a god damn ferry and hitting up a san juan island or two. Trip out.

there are bunches of rad hikes up the I-90 corridor out of seattle. I've been hiking this summer more than I have since becoming a GROWN_MAN, and fuckin aye if it's not mindblowing the amount of heavy ass nature we still have out here.

It's stopped raining for a few hours, I'm gonna recon that court right now and lurk with my camera. and then get a beer or nine.

boulevardier: OUT

oh: and thanks for reminding me of JAM records. What a fucking maniac that dude was!

I don't cuss, when I'm out boulevardiering, by the way.

ciao

• hahaa.
    jimmy from jam records.

wow, what the fuck kind of playgrounds yall have out there?

definitely getting into nature. if you got specific hikes, shoot. definitely down to hike 20 miles and camp out far from humanity

• I was just out there last week and the folks in charge of putting out illegal fires at Golden Gardens let our fire go all night. They said they used to put the fires out, but drunk people would just start them back up again. So now they let them go all night. They were also okay with our conspicuous beer drinking. As long as your fire isn't in the sand--in one of the official pits or you bring your own metal basin--you can have yourself a beach party.

Alki is great! The city recently rebuild parts of that strip on the beach, right duke?

If you want to get further away from peoples, Discovery Park is a cool driftwood beach. You've gotta park outside of it at night and walk a mile or two to the beach, IIRC. I've had a bonfire there, but you might get fined if you get caught.

What Duke said about the beach hikes. Can't recommend Olympic National Park enough.

the court was dead. Wasn't even worth a snap. Zero people.

Cal Anderson park is a few years old, instantly the Central Park of Seattle when they covered over a reservoir and installed ballfields and grass. Up on Capitol Hill, Seattle's never really had a spot like it, a true real park where EVERYONE goes. We have some amazing parks, but for the most part they cater to a specific region or socio-ethnic-blahblah-group...Cal Anderson park can fool you into thinking Seattle's a real city!

I just walked in (big citywalk just thinking, right), and brought in a yellow maple leaf. Shit's already changing colors. Get here quick.

It's not hard to get lost in a hurry up here, if you're willing to drive an hour or so out of the city. With summer over and school back in session, I'd really suggest a San Juan Island Excursion...insanity. I'll call my dudes who do mushrooms for the hookup.

Dammit I wish I could ride a bike; I'd get you set on my Bike Tour. So sicc.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    Dammit I wish I could ride a bike

How long until your rehab is done?

BTW in no way would I condone riding before it is actually done. I have a friend who had a horrible accident, skimped on his physio to get back on his feet but his cadence was still off and now they tell him he'll need a hip replacement as a result of grinding it about at the wrong angle for a while.

• damn, so much for toughing it out.

duke, whats the bike tour?

• T - you in town on Sunday? Me and Double have a show that night in Seattle but I would love to get up and talk about the pros and cons of titebond III

• haha...i just titebonded the mess out of some brazilian cherry floorboards that i salvaged. on its way to becoming a bathroom vanity.

and daaamn, im just missing your show. i get in on monday. booooo. reschedule that shit!!!

my Bike Tour is where a destination is picked and bikes are ridden there, with stops at bruce/brandon lee's graves and kurdtdtdt cobain house/bench to totally nod our heads in the rain

jimster: i still have three pins in and find myself crying daily from frustration on how little this thing can move. i have pretty much unofficially announced to myself that I'm just going to wait until spring for anything more than bike path styles...moving onto winter pursuits, I guess. yeesh.

• Please dont say you're gonna take that pinned up wrist out on the cherry pow pow bro?
    That can't be a good idea.

Grandfather said:
    Please dont say you're gonna take that pinned up wrist out on the cherry pow pow bro?
    That can't be a good idea.

I'm extreme, bro, I just gotta.

I have a special understanding with the mountains, it's ZENLIKE and totally like symbiotic bro AKA U NEVER SEEN SNOW UR WHOLE LIFE IN UR TOWN SO DONT SPEAK ON IT
    AND HANDS OFF MY BODY U RED STATER

I only ride pow brah you know this--i'll just jam my everlasting karatechop hand into a nintendo powerglove dont even trip

• quick report...
    the city is gorgeous
    lots of exercise to cruise by bike aka these hills are a bitch
    word to seafood
    olympic peninsula = most bo hanson album cover looking place ive ever seen. top shelf hiking
    jive time= quality
    big chan is the mayor
    coffee abundant
    pikes place...tourist trap, but still awesome

been a great trip