classical music....can i get some

mateomateo 163 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
looking for slow, dark very mellow musics....
i know more about the afterlife than i do about classical music.....
any help?
thanks

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Go Russian and Eastern European on the composers. Bartok, Rachmaninoff.
    As a sidenote, classical records are dirt cheap, just buy some and experiment! If the cover has flowers on it, hesitate (that's not to say don't buy tho). If the cover has something eerie or a statue on it, roll widdit. Learn foreign languages so you know what the songs mean so you can guess the moods.

• I tend to love anything that features a soloist. They are much more interesting as far as a listen. I prefer cello, violin or piano. Cello at the top. Starker- cello, Martzy- violin, and Kogan- violin are my favs. As far as composers, Bach sonatas for cello are most times greatness. Chopin for piano of course, but some of those can prove to be spotty. Only get mint or nm vinyl if you are doing that medium because anything else will drive you crazy in the quieter passages. Hope this helps!

• I have a load of classical vinyl that I can part with if you are interested pm me.

• Start With Bach camber music and work from there.

Some early music like Peter Abelard is incredibly dark and strange to modern ears.

• mateomateo 163 Posts
    thanks...
    doesnt have to be vinyl in this case, though.....
    i will check Peter Abelard for sure....

• Oh, and also Max Richter. Excellent!

• I would say the Russian guys are probably a good place to look - Prokofiev, etc.

Can you give an example of the type of music you're looking for, though (a Youtube embed or even just the name of a piece)?

EDIT: Are you looking for things like "In the Hall of the Mountain King" or something?

EDIT 2: Stuff like this: ?

• Just buy anything with the word 'Requiem' on

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    Hopefully this ticks the boxes...

multiple poast

Also Erik Satie's "Gymnopodies" are ill.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    not that, but also good

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

• J i m s t e r said:
    Also Erik Satie's "Gymnopodies" are ill.

satie is one of my favorite composers/musicians of all time. Check out Le Yachting, the Gnossiennes, and the pieces for two hands, the names of which i cant rememebr off teh top of my head. i'll post 'em up in here later.

Chopin Nocturne's, the minor ones. As dictated by form, they always have a "major" B section before returning to the A section of the piece. here's a couple of my fav's:

Nocturne in E-minor
    F# sharp minor
    F minor
    c minor

maybe check out all 3 movements of stravinsky's Symphony of Psalms. the third is pretty slow and ominous.
    here's the 1st movement, its a little more frenetic:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1CgSVkH-MU
    here's part of the 3rd movement:
    part of 3rd movement

faure's requiem is good. i cant find a good simple version of the libera me section, but if you can find one with jus a tenor voice and a cello its amazing. here's a full choir+other bs:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQAfZaKqe-I
    Faure has some really good slow piano shit too.

Ravel is another good option, here's Le Gibet from Gaspard de la Nuit, one of my fav's by him:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PQ-H1PjrWQ

• Clara Rockmore thermain. "Art of the Theramin" Very dark and moody.

1."Vocalise" (Rachmaninoff) ??? 3:44
    2."Song of Grusia" (Rachmaninoff) ??? 4:15
    3."The Swan" (Saint-Sa??ns) ??? 2:56
    4."Pantomime" (de Falla) ??? 3:44
    5."Hebrew Melody" (Achron) ??? 5:22
    6."Romance" (Wieniawski) ??? 4:45
    7."Berceuse" (Stravinsky) ??? 3:06
    8."Pi??ce en Forme de Habanera" (Ravel) ??? 2:41
    9."Berceuse" (Tchaikovsky) ??? 4:12
    10."Valse Sentimentale" (Tchaikovsky) ??? 2:06
    11."S??r??nade M??lancolique" (Tchaikovsky) ??? 7:40
    12."Chant du M??nestrel" (Glazunov) ??? 4:00

• mateomateo 163 Posts
    dang..... some good stuffs here.... who knew....
    that holst was really nice...
    i am diggin chopins nocturnes for sure.... my sis, i found out is into chopin...
    i guess im really liking the piano over cellos and strings....
    thanks peoples....lots of greatness...

• mateo said:
    i guess im really liking the piano over cellos and strings....

Then you should check out Debussy. I prefer the Cortot performances on EMI. They are vintage recordings and not 'Hi-Fi' by modern standards, but I almost prefer that as the sound is softer to my ears.

Cosign on Satie. For him I like the Reinbert De Leeuw recordings on Philips. He takes the pieces at very slow tempos, which seems more in the spirit of the pieces to me. I also like the piano sound on these.

• Horseleech said:

Cosign on Satie. For him I like the Reinbert De Leeuw recordings on Philips. He takes the pieces at very slow tempos, which seems more in the spirit of the pieces to me. I also like the piano sound on these.

Word! thanks for droppin this bit o knowledge. I have a bunch of various recordings, predominantly the aldo cicciolini (or whatever the hell his name is) and while i like his dynamics, he is all together too fast imo. i play a bunch of satie myself at a noticeably slower pace as well, and prefer it there.

• If you're looking for more serialst compositions look into Webern and of course Schoenberg. I have some personal reservations about serialism but there's some interesting stuff in there. i dont know it well enough to suggest anything but those 2 names are huge within that style/time period.

And i dont know if its too modern but a lot of Phillip Glass' work. It "moves" at a slow pace in that his style is very cellualr and so the music often changes slowly over a long period of time.

You might like the koyaanisqatsi stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFnmH9a2RkE

and he did this track featured in the watchmen soundtrack:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0RKpmjjpLQ

my favorite though is the metamorphosis series:
    part 1
    part 2

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    You might as well skip right ahead to the GOAT and be done with it

thank me later.

• staxwax said:

• mateomateo 163 Posts
    smoking_robot said:
    staxwax said:

thats the exact opposite of what im looking for...
    that debussy is where its at...
    where would one find the debussy cortat for less than money ? ?