italian records for beginners

the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
I have a good friend heading to his home land for the first time at the end of this week and he was asking me about italian records, I confessed that I knew very little about italian records and that I would ask around to see if I could find any info. The guy has mainly great taste in music, so if any one has any essential italian records that he should look out for can you plese to poast!
thanks

Comments

• i suspect you might be looking for funk and soul, but your mention of italian music reminded me of this nice italo disco thing i was listening to last month...

• and here's a great pop tune....

• so many great soundtracks, but they were all pressed in limited quantities so anything remotely interesting looking, buy on sight.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    neil_something said:
    i suspect you might be looking for funk and soul,

yes, but definitely not ltd to that at all, in fact the more rock, jazz, soundtrack, disco etc the better
    thanks

• generally i've found digging in italy to be one of the hardest in european terms, so hard to find vinyl record shops. the only time i found a decent place the best stuff in there was all from other countries. i hear the best trick is to find a fleamarket

• this is probably a pretty obvious one, but i've been really into this tune for a while now:

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    Other than the base of crime, horror thriller and goofy comedy movies with good soundtracks by Ennio Morricone, Bruno Nicolai, Franco Micalizzi, Goblin and all those Italian mod-pop sex kitten vanity singles, Italy was one of those European countries that seemed to embrace the black power movement via jazz. Anything on the Horo label is worth a listen.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Advanced:

• Electrode said:
    Anything on the Horo label is worth a listen.

Definitely.

Also reminds me of one of my favourite jazz tunes, which was recorded in Italy...

Really love "Giovanni D'Oggi" from that album, too.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    there's a great little store near the vatican, amazing amounts of jazz and soundtracks at semi-reasonable prices for Europe...

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

• djsheep said:
    there's a great little store near the vatican, amazing amounts of jazz and soundtracks at semi-reasonable prices for Europe...

aha! cheers sheep.

• Woimsah said:

HOT

• Italian pianist and label, recorded in France. Slept-on track from well known LP

• tabira said:
    Italian pianist and label, recorded in France. Slept-on track from well known LP

Great tune that. Most people usually just play "Bossa With Regards".

I also rate his "Un Auntunno A Parigi" and "At the Living Room" albums.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts

• neil_something said:
    tabira said:
    Italian pianist and label, recorded in France. Slept-on track from well known LP

Great tune that. Most people usually just play "Bossa With Regards".

Very true - never understood why this one gets ignored. Maybe the long bass build up - what a line though! By the way is Konitz using a varitone in the above track? Sounds like it but I'd be surprised coming from him (still Stitt used one too briefly)