After a month of waiting and drama I can finally say....

Manduro3000Manduro3000 265 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central

This is the best LP I placed on my turntable in 2010. I like everything about this record. Only wish there were cd releases of all the MGM/Pride material.

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Great album! Leon Sylvers did a lot of nice production.

• unityunity 179 Posts
    Word, it's definitely a record you want multables of. I spelled that right, right?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I still never got a copy of this. Guess I need it, right?

• Other than the first track (edit the one below this post) I never really got into it - should listen again. What bits work most for you?

• top notch record.

i love the whole thing. hard beats and lovely soul

• tabira said:
    Other than the first track (edit the one below this post) I never really got into it - should listen again. What bits work most for you?

This LP has a lot of vocal and string arrangements over a heavy back beat. Very similar to the early Jackson 5 stuff on Motown, only with a much more funky feel. A lot of hip hop producers have sampled this LP, but you can actually sit down and enjoy it musically. I've been told to check out early Sylvers material before, but only came accross their later "Boogie Fever" disco stuff. I finally broke down and took a chance to seek out this LP and I now feel its a must have for the collection.

• im rockin' mulitibles

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    Manduro3000 said:

This is the best LP I placed on my turntable in 2010. I like everything about this record. Only wish there were cd releases of all the MGM/Pride material.

so whats w/ the month of waiting and drama part???

• sweatshop said:
    Manduro3000 said:

so whats w/ the month of waiting and drama part???

Long story short... I brought the record on ebay. Seller wouldn't ship for a month. Had to get paypal invoved, and blasted seller on SS.

• My new favorite songs is "I don't need to prove myself" by the Sylvers. Perhaps the best usage of bells in a song?

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Sylvers 1,2 and 3 are all great records.

• Glad I hit on this thread - I'd been sleeping on this track:

• kicks79 said:
    Sylvers 1,2 and 3 are all great records.
    Yes, this can't be said enough.

• tabira said:
    Glad I hit on this thread - I'd been sleeping on this track:

this is a fun one to play out.

leon KILLLLLS the bass line on this song especially, IMO. there are about 4 riffs he throws in, and each one is simple, catchy, and right in the pocket.

easily one of my top 5 favorite producers.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I keep confusing this thread with the one about the guy who got his boss's wife pregnant.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Skywriter & Get It Together > Sylvers II

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

• anyone know if anyone's sampled the groove at the start of "Love Me Love Me Not"? (no vid on youtube)

It's dying to be used, i tried but couldn't do anything with it.

• do people honestly sleep on sylvers ii? this is shocking news. i finally got my hands on a copy earlier this year. has been my number one want since i started collecting.

• cookbook said:
    do people honestly sleep on sylvers ii?

I admit I slept on this LP for 2 years. I decided to get a copy after I stumbled accross a clip on youtube.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    I keep confusing this thread with the one about the guy who got his boss's wife pregnant.

Hahaha...

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I always wanted the Sylvers 1,2 &3 but never wanted to pay the ridiculous ebay prices so as soon as I stopped sweating it I found all of them for cheap. I found Forster's solo (with Misdemeanor), his other one with his 2 sisters, Sylvers 1 & 2, all under $10. The only one I still need is Sylvers 3. If anyone has one for sale/trade, pm me.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    I still kick myself for not picking up I and 2 @ 3.00 each in 2001.