Toronto International Film Festival 2010

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
So as usual, the same thing which happens every year, depsite the amazing strides in technology the world over - the order site is down.

Throw up your lists!! I'll put mine up if I am lucky to get tickets to any of them

E - let's figure out meeting up. I am still waiting to hear confirmation on when I'm playing the Lounge. It says it is for filmmaklers and industry folks - do you have an industry pass/Maryland Film Fest ID or anything like that? That might get you in...

Comments

• I have a friend going, so jealous she gets to see Black Swan before me.

She has press passes too, even more envious.

Have fun bassie!

• bassie, what are your top handful that you are looking forward to most?

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    bassie said:

Throw up your lists!! I'll put mine up if I am lucky to get tickets to any of them

E - let's figure out meeting up. I am still waiting to hear confirmation on when I'm playing the Lounge. It says it is for filmmaklers and industry folks - do you have an industry pass/Maryland Film Fest ID or anything like that? That might get you in...

Nah, the industry pass as I understand it doesn't suit me; you're in separate press screenings, and the directors are there 10% of the time (as opposed to 90% for the public screenings). That said, I bet it would get me into some parties.

I got 30 of my 31 picks -- boxed out of the new Mike Leigh film, which I can live with (much as I love his work, I've seen him speak twice before and he came across as a bit of a dick).

Most excited to see the new films from Werner Herzog (his 3D documentary about the Chauvet cave artwork), Kelly Reichardt, Frederick Wiseman, Vincent Gallo, Hong Sang-soo, and Apichatpong Weerasethakul.

Also very excited about the new Jerzy Skolimowski starring Gallo, which seems to be a "pure cinema" effort; his comeback film Four Nights w/ Anna was fantastic.

Dutifully attending the new Godard w/ no expectations whatsoever. Also checking out the John Carpenter, mostly in the hopes that he's there (never seen him intro his work before).

Almost all of my other titles are from new-to-me directors from around the world, so hopefully some real gems will shine through.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    This is my wish list - at this rate - site still being down - I doubt I'll get any of them...

Block C
    The Big Picture
    Brownian Movement
    Champagne
    Distant
    I Am Slave
    Leap Year
    Little White Lies
    Microphone
    Outside The Law
    The Place In-Between

• my friend got her short in this year, check it out if you can:

http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiff/2010/howtoridyourloverofa

OK - So I got through and this is what I managed to get

Microphone

The Big Picture

Block C

Leap Year

So, this is what they say about it - you might be able to get in still? Sounds like it's pretty open actually....

Filmmakers' Lounge

I'm on Saturday, September 11 at 10 PM.

• escoeescoe 113 Posts
    no fubar 2?

I am hoping it will come out later. I've tired not to read anything about it still. At the festival, I try to go for stuff I am not sure I'll get to see otherwise.

• Will pay big $$$ for Armond White sightings.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    escoe said:
    no fubar 2?

I just saw the review for that! so excited! it's out in theatres on october 1, but i'm sure that first midnight screening at TIFF will be rad.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    we have our own intl film fest in mtl
    gotta say
    city of life made in Dubai was great

So this is the list we got assigned with the Globetrotter Pack:

Never Let Me Go
    The Housemaid
    Miral
    Three
    Beautiful Boy
    Rabbit Hole

Most are either bound for a wide release, or deal with the breakdown of marriages due to family tragedy(!). Then there's The Housemaid, which is a Korean "erotic thriller"!

We also got two TIFF Bell Lightbox Vouchers - any idea what those are?

Yes, those will all get released somehow. I am very curious about how Miral will be.

I got one more from my list. I feel OK about the ones I missed. Little White Lies will probably get released or at least come to Cinematheque I hope and I Am Slave, I really hope will see the light of day..

The Place in Between

I would have loved to see Springsteen speak, but of course, it sold out before the online order site was back up. It seems there are not too many music films this year - did I miss something?

I've seen one great film out of four so far: unfortunately, it dates to 1969 (Allan King's A MARRIED COUPLE). That said, the three new-to-the-world films I've seen have all ranged from decent to very good.

Anyone seen any must-sees or must-avoids?

Bassie, I'm going to be in a movie and miss your gig. Let me know what else is going on in town this week! I've heard there's an exhibit of Polish movie posters from the 60s somewhere?

• Options
    Bro, don't miss the Bassie gig. You can see a movie anytime, right?

lilmonstu said:
    Bro, don't miss the Bassie gig. You can see a movie anytime, right?

I'm here covering films for work, hopefully she'll forgive me! I've seen her do her thing in years past and it was no joke.

• Options
    Alright

Last night's midnight movie, Vanishing on 7th St., is a contender for worst film I've seen in 12 years of attending TIFF. Very poor script and performances, ridiculous effects, and a woeful number of similarities to Shyamalan's The Happening (not the film to try to emulate). Session 9 and The Machinist from the same director were both at least interesting, but this was laughable.

We saw Never Let Me Go a few nights ago. Beautifully set and shot, but it felt a bit emotionally sterile (and it's a very emotionally complex story). The general scenario is just fascinating, though...led to some good discussion about the ethics of abortion/stem cell research afterward...

Saw The Housemaid last night. We were a bit unsure about what to expect from a Korean erotic thriller about class difference...again, it was beautifully (no, exquisitely) set and shot, and features some fine dark black comedy, but it was all a bit long and silly in the end.

Tonight - Miral...

• Options
    Look at it as a learning experience of what not to do, that way you still gain in some relation.

• muzik nightclub on saturday night was a definitive lesson in depravity. TIFF weekend nights always brings out the lowest common denominator. i had a minimum of 10 girls with laughable stage names like 'athena' and 'whisper' coming up to me telling me about their plans of moving to LA to follow the script written by their boyfriend.

id summarize the whole affair so far as hit and miss for me. i've seen some excellent films and some absolute poopfests. the crowd for the fubar 2 showing was a sight to behold as well.

My first film tonight - The Big Picture was terrific. From a Douglas Kennedy book - never heard of it til was mentioned in the intro.
    It is one of the better thrillers I've seen and not a very typical thriller at that. It goes a lot of different places and never loses rhythm or has you asking "where is this going?".
    And again proving my theory that no one knows how to shoot a dinner party like French filmmakers.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    They're playing that at the Hawaii International Film Festival also. I watched the trailer and thought it was umm not for me but maybe I'll take the girl to see it. Ticket situation at this thing is straight up wack though.

I just watched a trailer on YouTube and had to stop - if it's the same one you saw, yea, I wouldn't be into it either.
    You may still not be into it once your ass is in the seat, but trailers never capture films properly.
    Well, except for Machete maybe.

(Just know, it's two hours long)

Film #2 Leap Year was better than The Big Picture, but as different as two movies can get.

The movie takes place in one apartment and is basically a study in isloation, but throws in some really intense moments and situations.

I think the spirit of film is obvious, but I also think it gets forgotten and lost in all the celebrity hype, the parties, the deals and the desire to get first crack at wide releases.
    Leap Year is one of those movies that is a reminder of how satisfying it is to watch a well-told story, and a story that you don't know but because it is so well-written and acted, you can see your life and your world in it.

I don't think this will see the light of day. It is pretty graphic as far as sexual violence goes and is a very simple and slow film otherwise; scene after scene of what this woman who lives by herself does throughout her days and nights.

Also - I sat next to the same couple I sat with at Gasper Noe's film last year. There was a guy at the end of our row this year who was noisy throughout and basically ruined the most poignant scene in the film by going through his bag. The couple and I talked about him at the end but the woman had not heard him at all. She had on these headphones they are giving out that get feed from the projection booth and block out everything else. WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?
    This is the best idea EVER - forget penicllin!

^ The headphones are genius! Haven't seen them elsewhere - what theatre were you at?

We saw Miral a couple of nights back. I found it very interesting - it's of the few times I've seen Palestinians portrayed as something other than terrorists or victims (in film or other media). I found it a bit clinical, but then I think that's part of Schnabel's style. Maybe it could have been more engaging, but it's a fine line between engaging and melodramatic with such passionate topics. In general, I don't agree with the awful reviews it's been getting, e.g.:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/sep/05/venice-film-festival

After the film, Schnabel spoke very passionately (well, as passionately as he can, I guess) about the the crisis in the ME and emphasized how "normal"/non-radicalized Jews and Palestinians have very similar stories.

Anyone seen the exhibit of his stuff at the AGO? We may check it out this evening.

• i've heard the soundtrack to black swan is wicked. all by fresh beatmakers.

^ Yeah, I think Mary Anne Hobbes was a music consultant on it.

• yup