"The Record" art exhibit at Duke University (Minger-related)

Secret_ChimpSecret_Chimp 915 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
My peoples. I've been meaning to post something about this all week but haven't had a chance.. last week Mike and I headed down to Durham, NC to Duke University's Nasher Museum for the opening of an absolutely insane exhibit called The Record.

This show is fucking INCREDIBLE. I guarantee that every single one of you would love it.

Basically it is a study of the culture of the vinyl record in the context of contemporary art. It's not just album art, but all kinds of stuff related to the medium, so there's video, sculpture, paintings, music.. everything. 41 artists total, and the show makes a special point of featuring Mingering Mike. 15 of his original albums and a few 45s are displayed beautifully, with the gatefolds standing up so that you can see the front, back and insides. Everything looks awesome. He's shown alongside artists like David Byrne, Jasper Johns, Christian Marclay, Laurie Anderson, William Cordoba, and on and on.. The curator, Trevor Schoonmaker, did an incredible job. Some of you might know him, I think he used to dj in NY a few years ago. He also curated the Fela and Barkley Hendricks exhibits.

Also, the catalog is fucking amazing. Album sized, 216 pages, thick nice paper, and.. Mike shares a spread with Basquiat and another with Barkley Hendricks. Also, there's a cool timeline of the history of the record, and Mike's on there next to Velvet Underground & Nico, Cosmic Slop, Cheap Thrills, and Black Flag. So cool.

I can't do justice to the show in words, so here are a bunch of pictures, beginning with a video I recorded on my phone of one of the Japanese artists playing a record made of ICE. That shit was crazy, about 30 people circled around and watched in complete silence, totally transfixed by it.

img src="

The show will be open through February.. if you're anywhere near there you should make a point of seeing this. On April 15th it travels to Boston, so you can catch it there too. Hopefully it'll get a lot of press and travel elsewhere.

This is on this week's cover of Durham's weekly paper The Independent :lol:

[img]http://www.indyweek.com/imager/b/magnum/1641423/15bc/1.jpg" alt="" />

(pictures coming soon, gotta reformat 'em)

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Dude, I am so jealous. I really wanted to make it out to see this; there was talk of trying to wing my way out there to participate in a panel on the exhibit but alas, didn't happen. Either way, Trevor Schoonmaker has been doing some killer stuff at the museum.

At least I'm getting the exhibition book soon.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Can I also note how fucking incredible that Independent cover is? :feelin_it:

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Thanks for posting this. I'll be in Durham in three weeks, and will plan to check this out. I had no idea it was there.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Thank you for sharing!

• mannybolone said:
    Dude, I am so jealous.

Secret_Chimp, thank you for posting this. incredible.

• got a link to buy the book?

edit: and nevermind http://www.nasher.duke.edu/therecord/merch.php

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    selperfuge said:
    got a link to buy the book?

Is there a link to actually buy it on that page?

• BREAKFACE. sending this to my friends in D.C.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Can I also note how fucking incredible that Independent cover is? :feelin_it:

• I just about choked on my bagel when I saw that this morning. Wish I could have been there to see Mike's reaction!

Here's a small sampling of what's in the show:

• Options
    Wow, cool, I'm inspired. Thank you.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Secret_Chimp said:
    . On April 15th it travels to Boston, so you can catch it there too.

wow, that sentence sure jumped out at me :shit_yeah:

• That art show looks incredible. Wow.

There needs to be an art print made of that Independent cover! Chimp - if you're interested in making that happen, drop me an email please!

Mike

• faux_rillz said:
    selperfuge said:

Doesn't look like it, I just inquired with someone at the museum and will let you know.

• TheeeCasualMale said:
    That art show looks incredible. Wow.

There needs to be an art print made of that Independent cover! Chimp - if you're interested in making that happen, drop me an email please!

Mike

Yes.

• i'll be checking this out soon
    thanks for the heads up

also, the duke radio station record fair will be in the museum next month

• oripsorips 238 Posts
    Secret_Chimp said:
    faux_rillz said:
    selperfuge said:

Doesn't look like it, I just inquired with someone at the museum and will let you know.

You can buy the book here:

https://shopnasher.dukestores.duke.edu/index.php?main_page=products_new

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    bluesnag said:
    I had no idea it was there.

Except when I told you about it last week :lush:

I was looking for Mingering at the opening, he must've left before it got crowded. His stuff was by the far the highlight for me (some of the art was irritating as all hell).

That Independent cover literally made my jaw drop when I picked it up yesterday - our local dude really did good with that one.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    bull_ox said:
    bluesnag said:
    I had no idea it was there.

Except when I told you about it last week :lush:

I was looking for Mingering at the opening, he must've left before it got crowded. His stuff was by the far the highlight for me (some of the art was irritating as all hell).

That Independent cover literally made my jaw drop when I picked it up yesterday - our local dude really did good with that one.

You expect me to remember everything you tell me? :-) I was probably changing a diaper and was like "Uh huh...cool..."

Wait, is this what you told me about just a few days ago? The thing you missed a class to be at that DT deejayed at?

• This looks incredible! Copped the book... hope to get to see it in person... might be a good reason for a Boston visit. Thanks for posting pics.