SOMEBODY SELL ME A FUCKING LOU COURTNEY HEY JOYCE.. (WHITE WHALE RELATED)

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
... I'M SICK AND FUCKING TIRED OF NEVER BEING ABLE TO A) FIND IT IN THE FIELD OR B) WIN A FUCKING COPY OFF MOTHERFUCKING EBAY. GODDAMN SONOFABITCH OUTBID ME AT TEH LAST MINUTE, I SWORE I HAD THAT SHIT HEMMED UP. GRRRRRRRRRR.

Feel free to make this a White Whale thread or whatever.

Also, feel free to sell me a copy of this record. Been looking for one for years and I'm SICK OF NOT FUCKING HAVING IT.

Comments

• i miss white whales up on 65, the good ole days.

e2e related

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I've only seen one Lou Courtney out in the field and Stinky Steve bought it.

:hated_it:

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Goddamnit someone sell me a fuckin' CLEAN gold label ACID LP! I literally have 6 VG copies of this title....

:f-u:

:bizzo:

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Cosmo said:
    ... I'M SICK AND FUCKING TIRED OF NEVER BEING ABLE TO A) FIND IT IN THE FIELD OR B) WIN A FUCKING COPY OFF MOTHERFUCKING EBAY. GODDAMN SONOFABITCH OUTBID ME AT TEH LAST MINUTE, I SWORE I HAD THAT SHIT HEMMED UP. GRRRRRRRRRR.

Also, feel free to sell me a copy of this record. Been looking for one for years and I'm SICK OF NOT FUCKING HAVING IT.

I thought for sure you were gonna get the one I put up for Heatrock auction. I feel like I've picked up another extra copy since then, but I'll have to confirm when I get home today.

• musica said:
    Goddamnit someone sell me a fuckin' CLEAN gold label ACID LP! I literally have 6 VG copies of this title....

How does it play though? Mine is borderline VG/VG+ but plays super clean.

Garcia_Vega said:
    musica said:

They each play unsatisfactorily and some of them are cloud-labels, too. I really want a VG++ gold file copy!

I do have a mint gold label "Soul Drummers" 45 that I scored at a NYC flea market for $2 4 years ago.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Garcia_Vega said:
    musica said:

Yeah, those gold labels can take a lot of abuse and still play great. I have really rough looking copies of the first two Orq. Harlow LPs, but they sound perfect.

• Around 1999 or 2000, shortly after brainfreeze was huge, Big Al's Record Barn in San Jose had a box of hey joyces for $10 each. He told me he didn't understand why they were popular all of a sudden. I tried to explain and he still didn't seem to get it.

I can't remember if he had a rule about one per person or if I was just broke, but I only got 1.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Interestingly, there was a grip of them for sale around the end of '09 and beginning of '10 but it's really fallen off since then.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    musica said:

i have a MINT copy gold label of this. but it is stereo. is that ok?

behemoth said:
    musica said:

I have a MINT mono gold label. Wanna trade?

mannybolone said:
    behemoth said:
    musica said:

I have a MINT mono gold label. Wanna trade?

why would you want to do that?

Stereo sounds better? I rarely play out my copy of "Acid" (I have the best songs on single) so the whole "mono = better for DJing" is sort of moot for me.

PM SENT

• Controller_7 said:
    Around 1999 or 2000, shortly after brainfreeze was huge, Big Al's Record Barn in San Jose had a box of hey joyces for $10 each. He told me he didn't understand why they were popular all of a sudden. I tried to explain and he still didn't seem to get it.

I can't remember if he had a rule about one per person or if I was just broke, but I only got 1.

This is exactly the post Cosmo was hoping to see.

• haha, speaking of Acid, i saw this on the wall in an office building today - fucking random

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Enki thanks man I just got to get this fucking monkey off my back.

Anyone else want to holler please do so. Thanks.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    faux_rillz said:

Yeah, those gold labels can take a lot of abuse and still play great. I have really rough looking copies of the first two Orq. Harlow LPs, but they sound perfect.

Cloud labels hold up well, too, at least the earlier ones. I have a VG Ray Barretto Barretto Power heavy press cloud label that I bought from the brother Rape_Donkeys for like $6... it looks like a nightmare but I've probably taken that record to more DJ nights than any other and it always plays true.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    All right, I'll give this a try:

Anybody want to sell me a minty vinyl copy of Marva Whitney "Giving Up On Love" on T-Neck?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    faux_rillz said:

Cloud labels hold up well, too, at least the earlier ones. I have a VG Ray Barretto Barretto Power heavy press cloud label that I bought from the brother Rape_Donkeys for like $6... it looks like a nightmare but I've probably taken that record to more DJ nights than any other and it always plays true.

i will forever ride for my beat up 5$ copy of singing some soul

pcmr said:
    SoulOnIce said:
    faux_rillz said:

i will forever ride for my beat up 5$ copy of singing some soul

Believe me folks, I have plenty of thrashed Fania titles that play miraculously well (Willie Colon- The Hustler, Ralph Robles Was Here, etc). However NONE of my copies of ACID are examples of this, with both my VG- gold labels playing with skips all over the place. THe remaining 4 are cloud labels and between all of them I have a solid play copy, but each has its issues. I have clean gold labels of pretty much every Gold Label FANIA title that I want at this point except for ACID (and Bobby Valentin Let's Turn On :grin: ).

• DJ_Enki said:
    Cosmo said:

I thought for sure you were gonna get the one I put up for Heatrock auction. I feel like I've picked up another extra copy since then, but I'll have to confirm when I get home today.

heatrocks round one?
    that was me

Reynaldo said:

I thought you already had a minty stereo gold of this? Holler if you got dupes. I'm ready to jettison my Mono Gold and Stereo Cloud versions.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    Right on... what is it with certain records never showing up?? After Cosmo gets his Hey Joyce, consider me next in line! Same story. for 10 years now. every freaking lou courtney 45 EXCEPT that one has turned up for me 10x over... so name thy price.... anywhere from vg to nm, it will scratch the itch....

karlophone said:
    Right on... what is it with certain records never showing up?? After Cosmo gets his Hey Joyce, consider me next in line! Same story. for 10 years now. every freaking lou courtney 45 EXCEPT that one has turned up for me 10x over... so name thy price.... anywhere from vg to nm, it will scratch the itch....

he got his. your turn...

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I've been missing out on this for years as well. Been unable to lock down a copy of this either (my second favorite Lou Courtney joint):

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I would love to get my mitts on Placebo's "Ball of Eyes." Oh well, that would take a miracle.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    behemoth said:
    musica said:

Out of curiosity - have you ever checked if it's actually stereo?

A customer used to work for Fania many years ago and claimed that they often just stuck stereo labels on mono records.