Why does ebay favor domestic sales over international sales?

erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
Like many sellers I'm sure, I was stripped of Power Seller status and benefits awhile back due to ebay's change of criteria for the program. The only category I have fallen short of since the change is the $3000 domestic sales minimum, yet I have always been comfortably above their total sales criteria before the switch. Does anyone know why ebay would care about differentiating between domestic and international sales? Do they realize that Americans just don't shell out the same kind of dough for records that international buyers do? Is this a tax thing or a stimulus thing or something? I don't get it. And now that my auctions get less visibility I'm making noticeably less money for ebay. How can that be good? Money is money, right?

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    It's an overseas customers not receiving their packages thing.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Huh. I'd buy that, but it still seems like they're shooting themselves in the foot with that policy. It would make far more sense to pin any chargebacks or negative feedback for unreceived international items against your Power Seller rating than to pin it to completely arbitrary domestic/international earnings amounts.

That'd be disastrous and *might* cause a lotta big sellers to head away from ebay, more so than already have.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    The_Non said:
    That'd be disastrous and *might* cause a lotta big sellers to head away from ebay, more so than already have.

How do you figure? I tend to dislike just about every measure ebay has taken to protect buyers and the seller's expense, but this would actually be a corrective to an even worse policy. I can't see how it could make things any worse or less fair for sellers, at least. If you are trying to address the problem of undelivered items to international bidders, it makes more sense to tackle that directly through the already-existing feedback system for precisely that problem than in a roundabout connection to total earnings.

For real man, I believe the only reason it was changed was because of lost packages overseas. I think eBay listens to *some* feedback from eBay sellers, and that was gonna be one of em, lost overseas packages. When good seller ratings mean seller savings, it becomes higher stakes.