promoting DJ/music nights in 2010

mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central
I was part of a weekly hip-hop night that slowly built for a few years and had a good number of regulars and decent turnout most nights. It was pretty fun... not much dancing, but a fairly die-hard group of appreciative dudes.
Later, I did a monthly funk night for about 6 months that didn't really take off, but had more dancing and was enjoyable despite low numbers.
Now, I've been doing a monthly old school dance party (some 70s but mostly 80s/90s) for about a year and a half now and it has been fun. good turnout, some regulars, dancing people (including girls ).

Obviously, cities, music, venues, and audiences vary widely, but I'm curious what you've seen as effective channels of promotion in this day and age. I'd like to see our turnout increase a bit more but I'm not sure if it will really outgrow the venue in our moderate city.

I actually live a half-hour outside of the city currently, so I'm not too keen on flyering (especially when other means might be easier... facebook, local publication calendars), but I'm wondering if its still a useful promotional tool.

Comments

• girgir 329 Posts
    Someone once said to me that Richmond is a "word of mouth" town and think there's a lot of truth in that. Also, I imagine there's a slight sense of venue loyalty. Some folks seem more apt to appear at their favorite haunt regardless of what is going on but I feel like flyering in the city (or at least putting the idea in the right people's heads) can be an important step.

• streamofconciousnessmy2cents - i don't think genres matter anymore on flyers. the whole FUNK/SOUL/BLAXPLOITATION SOUNDTRACKS/45s etc on the flyer doesn't convince anyone. if i've seen anything that works, its trying to create a party that is its own.. entity. theres a psych rock party in a tiny bar near me called Cosmic Slop, the poster is very simple and quite psychedelic, no djs are listed, no type of music is listed, but the poster just looks psych, it looks interesting and you think "i need to investigate this". its really run by the Twisted Nerve guys.. but its built a cult following just off the name, and the "local" vibe to it. and its full and people get down. so i guess i'm saying, maybe traditional promotion doesn't mean shit for this type of event, its a word of mouth thing for bar parties. and maybe a facebook group thing. maybe. having said that, i guess it depends on what your neighbourhood is like and what the venue is like and what your crowd is like, maybe a hip hop crowd needs a more direct approach.

• double post

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    street_muzik said:
    double post
    actualkly your OG post does not show up
    i'd love to hear your take on this