Why do Dogs have to die?

2»

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Rip miles... Such a cool little dude

• Sorry for your loss Raj. My dog is only 3 and I know it will be heartbreaking when she's no longer with us. My daughter is only 9 months and already loves our dog. I feel like a jerk that we've set this impending heartache on her. It's a long ways off, but already tough to think about.

Sorry to hear about this.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    I feel like a jerk that we've set this impending heartache on her. It's a long ways off, but already tough to think about.

Sorry to hear about this.

I'm not a parent but I can offer a different view on that.

You learn to Love and you Learn to Lose.

I think kids that never have pets growing up might have a harder time dealing with things sometimes.
    Having said that we had to put down our 18+ year old cat in January and its never easy and its always heartbreaking. They serve a great purpose and so many of us can't imagine life without them.

I'm sorry for your loss Raj.

• Options
    tabira said:
    Raystar said:
    I never really had pets in my life so I cant really relate...

Without equating animals with children.

I agree, and adults without some sort children in their lives have always seemed kinda strange too me. I used to live with this older single guy, he was very weird and unsatisfied.

That said I don't understand how learning to love relates to learning to lose. Like, I am sorry if my joke in this thread was not funny, but just having precious love in your life, no matter what, makes us all winners. One does the best they can, enjoys the love while it lasts as best they can, and they win.

Muhammad Ali loved boxing, sure he got punched, but he rolled with the punches. He got knocked down but he never gave up. He never lost in the ring of love. I love him.

Hope this helps.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Thanks for the kind words everybody.

The family skipped town for the weekend in hopes to heal. By Sunday, I was doing OK UNTIL I came home. Not having him around to greet me and follow my every move really broke me up.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Thanks for the kind words everybody.
    By Sunday, I was doing OK UNTIL I came home. Not having him around to greet me and follow my every move really broke me up.

Hey Raj,

I'm so sorry you had to endure the above scenario. That would really break me up too since I have grown very accustomed to my little girl greeting me at the door when I arrive home. I find it hard to deal with it when she's sick, and not behaving as peppy and vibrant as normal. I can't imagine if she were no longer around, sitting on the couch and enjoying music with me. She's my best friend.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Sorry for your loss, man. My girlfriend and I just had to put our cat down yesterday, so I'm in a similar state of mind being at home. Everything is a reminder.

Back in June, our cat squeezed out of a 4th story window, dropped down to a ledge and ended up falling to the sidewalk below. Horrible morning. Long story short, surgeons were able to pop his dislocated paws back into place without surgery, and he'd just (this past Tuesday) received the green light for full activity after a couple of months with splints and a month of restricted activity. We'd been syringe feeding him because his appetite disappeared. We'd been sleeping on an air mattress in the living room so he could sleep with us at night (we have a lofted bedroom he couldn't get to). He was doing ok, but in the last few days his energy level dropped dramatically. I took him to an emergency care center and it turns out his kidneys were failing (likely due to the pain killers he'd been given). So after all of our efforts to keep him going, something we didn't foresee came along.

The actual experience of putting an animal down is peaceful in its own way, but is heartbreaking to a level that can't be put into words.

My heart goes out to you, RAJ.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    This is a very sad thread.
    I remember biking my last cat to the vet to put him down. Awful day. Him shrieking in pain, and me crying my face off.

Head up, RAJ.