Jorge Ben - "Waimea 55000"

JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central
Not sure how I missed this tune & video before this, enjoy:

Comments

• feelin pretty much all elbows involved here...

great transition into the bridge at 2:50

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    Maybe because the track originally came out as a B - Side compacto disco number.

Brazilain beaches have the best views when it comes to checkin' out the girls....

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    Actually whatever bay they're in is shaped kinda like Waimea.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    JoeMojo said:

You only need to look to those girls to know they are in some beach in Rio.
    That track is fire, btw.
    Thanks for posting.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    MoogMan said:
    JoeMojo said:

You only need to look to those girls to know they are in some beach in Rio.

Oh for sure. At least the waves are kind of junk.

I also like the dude getting straight punched off his board in the background at 1:52.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,916 Posts
    TDLT02 said:
    Maybe because the track originally came out as a B - Side compacto disco number.

I was going to say it's not even on that Salve, Jorge box set until I remembered that only covers his recordings for Philips up to 1976.

Great tune/video, btw. For me, one of the greatest and most consistently satisfying pleasures of recent years has been the realisation that there's a vast realm of Brazilian music I've barely touched. I should add also that, in this respect, the knowledge and generosity of some of the folks on here has been invaluable, and it's much appreciated.

• This is from a single for his Banda Do Ze Pretinho album. Best track of the album IMO & it's not even on it!

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    djmario said:
    This is from a single for his Banda Do Ze Pretinho album. Best track of the album IMO & it's not even on it!

One of my Jorge Ben secret weapons for the last 10 years. Not that well known, as it went under the radar as a b-side to a dreadful cheesy a-side track on seven inch. Nice to see a video of it with all those lovely Carioca girls.
    Uplifting strings and funky horns. I ride for this Rio Disco Boogie number...

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    TDLT02 said:
    For me, one of the greatest and most consistently satisfying pleasures of recent years has been the realisation that there's a vast realm of Brazilian music I've barely touched. I should add also that, in this respect, the knowledge and generosity of some of the folks on here has been invaluable, and it's much appreciated.

ditto
    it's a vast ocean of cultural richness waiting to be explored
    even the contemporary stuff is off the chain
    one of the most interesting places to notice how it absorbed outside influence and how it influenced the outside
    from a political and agricultural standpoint the place is super interesting as well
    (recommend a recent econoist article on the ago-revolution in the cerrado
    if only the african continent was managed in a similar fashion
    make the best with what you had

• TDLT02 said:

One of my Jorge Ben secret weapons for the last 10 years. I ride for this Rio Disco Boogie number...
    This, along with "Dona Culpa" off Cauby! Cauby! would be my secret weapons, except they're no longer a secret! :P

p.s. M*rk - i'm down in London next weekend DJ'ing at Batmacumba, fancy coming down? (free entry, naturally)

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    djmario said:
    TDLT02 said:

One of my Jorge Ben secret weapons for the last 10 years. I ride for this Rio Disco Boogie number...
    This, along with "Dona Culpa" off Cauby! Cauby! would be my secret weapons, except they're no longer a secret! :P

p.s. M*rk - i'm down in London next weekend DJ'ing at Batmacumba, fancy coming down? (free entry, naturally)

Not around I'm afraid. I'll be visiting my family up near York for the weekend.
    Is Cliffy still at Notting Hill Arts Center for Batmacumba?

• TDLT02 said:
    Not around I'm afraid. I'll be visiting my family up near York for the weekend.
    Is Cliffy still at Notting Hill Arts Center for Batmacumba?
    Fair enough. Yeah, still at the Notting Hill Arts Club.