Excerpts from the best wedding song request list ever

2»

Comments

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    deej said:
    pretty sure girls i knew in college who danced to 'aint no fun' were aware of the lyrics

This record dropped when I was in college, and most of the girls who I went to college with can still sing it word for word.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    waxjunky said:
    deej said:
    pretty sure girls i knew in college who danced to 'aint no fun' were aware of the lyrics

This record dropped when I was in college, and most of the girls who I went to college with can still sing it word for word.

The key thing is that none of them think the song is about them.

Saying.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    pcmr said:

:face_melt:

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Herm said:
    I need to scan the request list I had for a junior/senior prom I played a few months ago. I was SHOCKED at what these 16-18 year old kids wanted to hear.

The highlight was when a group of girls requested The Beach Boys' "Barbara Ann" and the WHOLE FREAKIN' PROM danced and sang along. I was simultaneously confused, in disbelief and happy as a clam from that point on.

Highlights:

-The Bee-Gees "Night Fever"
    - The Crystals "And Then He Kissed Me"
    - Pharcyde "Runnin'"
    - New Order's "Blue Monday" (with a special note requesting the OG version only, no cover...Ha!)
    - The Beatles "Twist & Shout"
    - James Brown "Get Up Offa That Thing"
    - The aforementioned Beach Boys "Barbara Ann"
    - Al Green "How Can You Mend A Broken Heart" (This was the last song of the night. I ignored the John Legend request!)

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Herm said:
    I played "Rainbow Connection" from The Muppet Movie and my dude grabbed his new wife, ran all the way up to the front (where I was set up) and slow-danced the entire song. I can't lie, I teared up for them.

Which version? OG Kermit or the Carpenters cover?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Herm said:
    I played "Rainbow Connection" from The Muppet Movie and my dude grabbed his new wife, ran all the way up to the front (where I was set up) and slow-danced the entire song. I can't lie, I teared up for them.

Which version? OG Kermit or the Carpenters cover?

OG version! I love Karen, but nothing tops Kermit.

• Options
    Great gig last night. Made the party go nuts all night. Got some bread for the radio station, they fed me and sent me home with a little extra desert "for me."

Most notable jams were:

Mother groom/father bride dance: you will never walk alone - the flamingos

And late night, after the volume was turned down: I'd rather be with you - bootsy Collins

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    A friend of mine (a DJ) got married a few weeks back and this was the processional music.

BRILLIANT.

Beautiful!

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Herm said:
    I was best man, host and DJ for my best friend's wedding recently. It was a western theme which means I did all of this in uncomfortable cowboy boots. Plus I didn't even get to eat dinner 'cause I was MCing a bingo game for the guests while they ate.

Anyways, at the very end of the night after everybody but the bride, groom, cleaning staff and a few hangers-on had left, I was bored and tired and playing whatever I wanted to hear. I played "Rainbow Connection" from The Muppet Movie and my dude grabbed his new wife, ran all the way up to the front (where I was set up) and slow-danced the entire song. I can't lie, I teared up for them.

Proms, western-themed weddings and bingo at the reception. You are a jack-of-all-trades!

• Options

most of the time they set me beside the people. for this wedding, I moved inside Putah Creek Lodge for the presentation of a video (gloria gainor - "i will survive" was requested so I took one turntable in there too), games, and talking. the bride, the groom, and all the grooms sisters are teachers and they made fun entertaining tests for each other. I quickly stepped outback and ate some salad, pasta, and i few spoons of salmon. then two volunteers helped me move back outside and the dancing started. one quick blend --> SOS band - "Take your time do it right" --> Fantasty - "live the life of love" got the party started. then, like i said "you will never walk alone" by the flamingos and the rest is history.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Shout was off the hook this weekend. Grandma on the floor getting a little quieter now. Great crowd in a dancing mood. Always a Dj's best friend. Pulled out "I'm Your Puppet" to close. The Bride looked at me and said, with tears in her eyes, "How did you know?"

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I got a wedding coming up this weekend. Thanks to O-Dub. The guy actually originally wanted O-Dub to dj but alas he could not so he sent it my way since I'm in the area. So naturally this guy wants some good music. Thank god. Putting setlists together now. Pretty excited, plus this gave me a reason to finally buy those Mackie SRM-450's I've been wanting.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Herm said:
    Anyways, at the very end of the night after everybody but the bride, groom, cleaning staff and a few hangers-on had left, I was bored and tired and playing whatever I wanted to hear. I played "Rainbow Connection" from The Muppet Movie and my dude grabbed his new wife, ran all the way up to the front (where I was set up) and slow-danced the entire song. I can't lie, I teared up for them.

I shamelessly jacked this idea over the weekend for last song of the night .

The hall where the wedding was being held lost all power during setup, around 3 in the afternoon, and by 8 o clock the guests were in their 3rd hour of the party, trying to look happy eating marginally warm food in a sweltering, dark room. Some hero borrowed a generator from a neighbor, and when we finally got the sound system up and running, the dancefloor nearly exploded as giddy grandparents and bridesmaids rushed out to get down.

Rocked for a couple hours, and the town even let the party go a little late. When we finally had to wind it down, I got the floor cleared for the happy couple to dance to Elvis's "Can't Help Falling in Love with You" , followed by the entire party spontaneously joining hands and singing Rainbow Connection in unison. Many accolades followed, as well as an offer to possibly DJ a wedding in Hawaii next year.

:next_level:

Thanks Herm!!

• Unherd said:
    followed by the entire party spontaneously joining hands and singing Rainbow Connection in unison. Many accolades followed, as well as an offer to possibly DJ a wedding in Hawaii next year.

I LOVE THIS.