Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    What he says about the turmeric and lemon is no joke.
    I try to have turmeric a few times a week, but it's a strong flavour, so meal-wise, it can be come too much of the same thing.

Hmmm, I might have to try to have turmeric and lemon water daily myself. As far as the other ingredients go, I don't need it sweetened or the kick-start.

Thank You Schoolly D!!

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    man, smoke some kill was some ill shit man...at least once i week i rock that album...

schoolly aint no joke! lol

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i heard the other night the public enemy tour bus tried to turn into schooly's treacherous driveway and had to be helped out by local police. thats kind of amazing

• That turmeric tea totally grabbed my attention too.

Anyway, question, I just have the old turmeric bottle in the spice rack. But I see the fresh roots in the store.

I always cook with fresh ginger. I wonder, is using the fresh turmeric similarly superior? Or does it not matter?

Anyone here use fresh turmeric?

I rarely see turmeric root, but would definitely use it over the powder - fresh is always best!
    I grew up with the powder, not the root.

I think ginger powder is kinda gross - never use it. Same thing with garlic powder.

I used to cook ginger root but found the flavour never came through properly, so now I grate it 'raw' into/on top of the dish once it's done.

• Options
    Cool story, bro. I'm gonna' try a go at this Turmeric tea.

• If you wouldve told me 25 years ago that Schooly D would be doing Yoga and drinking Tumeric tea. I wouldve smacked you in your mouf. Oh well. Good for him.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    tumeric in rice,noodles or couscous is a way to use a lot without tasting it a lot

Soup as well.
    If I'm using berbere mixture, which nothing can overpower lol, I go heavy on turmeric.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I was negotiating some contracts, it wasn???t going quickly enough and it got me feeling kind of down. I wanted some good comfort food. So for dinner I cooked herb-roasted chicken with cornbread stuffing. It???s an ongoing family favorite. Everybody in my family makes, but we all make it differently. To go with it, I made broccoli, sweet potatoes with marshmallows, arugula, beet and French bean salad with Gorgonzola. I drank two glasses Chardonnay.

Now this - this is called aging with grace.

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    He lives better than me too. Here's more of a peek into Schoolly D's grown man lifestyle:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/dc/house-tours/jennifers-retro-residence-house-tour-124306

Gotta try turmeric tea. Where to cop?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    ladyday said:
    He lives better than me too. Here's more of a peek into Schoolly D's grown man lifestyle:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/dc/house-tours/jennifers-retro-residence-house-tour-124306

DAMN!!! He couldn't have made much loot off his old records, could he? Was he involved in another aspect of the biz that I don't know about??

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Herm said:
    ladyday said:

DAMN!!! He couldn't have made much loot off his old records, could he? Was he involved in another aspect of the biz that I don't know about??

Adult Swim and then some...not to mention his wife does pretty well http://www.mainlinemag.com/CMS/print-editions/the-simple-life

day said:

Adult Swim and then some...not to mention his wife does pretty well http://www.mainlinemag.com/CMS/print-editions/the-simple-life

THE END OF THE HIP-HOP LIFESTYLE: I haven???t lived the hip-hop lifestyle since Jennifer kicked the 2 Live Crew out. That was a classic moment: The 2 Live Crew was in town and they were going to come over after the concert. And they showed up in this tour bus full of chicks and hookers and they kicked the door in. These chicks were everywhere like monkeys swinging off the rafters. This was when Jordan was one-and-a-half years old, and all of a sudden there was a slam and Jennifer comes out steaming and she???s just yelling, ???Out! Out! Out!??? I was like, ???You can???t kick out the 2 Live Crew.??? She said, ???Oh yes I can.??? And I think that was it. The hip-hop lifestyle???they packed it up and said, ???We???re going to take this. You???re hip-hop card???s revoked.??? I think people still laugh about that.

:LE FACEMELT:

This dude lives how I aspire to live. Don't know if I have the willpower to eat that well, but that house, that furniture, that look....So goddamn fresh.

Plus his wife looks fly!

On the really real realness, though...

Thanks for posting that link, Day. I feel inspired.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I like how he named his daughter after a Gary Wright song.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Reading that and looking those pics put a grin on my face like you wouldn't believe. Major props to Schooly for winning so big in life. He is still the man.

• Options
    I eat to live, and don't live to eat so I can't included the vanity reason. But I do enjoy cooking with my friends, who I worry sometimes dont eat enough.

This afternoon I will add some tumeric to my rice and veggies. And now that I'm thinking about it, I should pick up a small piece or ginger and plant it. See if I can grow some right here, real quick, yeah.

Ps, Organic oats were on sale at the store in the bulk section. With a little soy milk and umm, ah, that some good stuff right there.

Harley, Pizza, and I are about to have breakfast.

ladyday said:

Just steep grated root or mix the powder with hot water.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    i hesitated to even post this because i truly feel as though i am in some sort of twilight zone reading through this thread as i just got in from going to yoga this evening and then to dinner with schoolly and his wife jen. dead serious. very odd indeed.

i didn't even know about that grub street article but he is a very domestic dude now and barely drinks. and without running yap that transformation did not happen overnight and didn't occur without a lot of really hard work and support over the years.

i am pushing vegetables and other healthy treats into my mans meals every chance i get, i want him to be healthy. even though we did have louisiana style deep fried pickles last night with some kind of ranch dip i think.

anyway... keepin it real=eating brussel sprouts.

• AKallDay said:
    i just got in from going to yoga this evening and then to dinner with schoolly and his wife jen.

not to pry, but what did y'all have for dinner? did schoolly cook?

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    ^

we went somewhere right after class to chow down, not a home thing cause they live way out in the burbs these days...we shared a bunch of small dishes at a place i hadn't been to called alfa which was decent- a spinach and corn pan saut??, grilled tomatoes, roasted brussel sprouts, sweet potato fries and sriracha ketchup and some late season softshell crabs. cold ginger beer w vodka in a copper mug to drink.

bassie said:
    ladyday said:

Just steep grated root or mix the powder with hot water.

Thank you! I couldn't find the root so I just used powder with cayenne and lemon, then to get crazy I added ginger (anti-inflammatory) and cinnamon (regulates blood sugar), and a tiny bit of honey. I am surprised at how tasty this is, and it really does feel like it clears your head.

I went back and printed that Grub Street article. I want to eat like him for a week - everything sounded delicious!

double post

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    AKallDay said:
    sriracha ketchup

This is a revelation.