The Greats Getting Outdone

discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central
In reference to Willie Fugal's pertinent question from the unknown Jazz LP thread:
I should have capitalized Greats. I'm talking Miles, Monk, Coltrane, Ellington, Mingus, etc. You just don't give up that kind of talent for a woman and a day job. You met Mingus the mailman? Trane the tax collector?

And I'm looking for names, but there are none, 'cause those unkown unknowns weren't that good (Great).

is this really unique to jazz though?

do people REALLY believe that the heavily-sweated private press funk 45s/LPs are better than James Brown or the Meters?

This discussion deserves a separate thread.

I humbly propose that this song is better than many of James Brown's tracks. While it is not a private press record as above, I think this is a great example of James getting outdone at his own game from a musical standpoint by a relatively obscure artist. That said, James' personality, character and stage presence can never be equaled in any way shape or form, IMO.

Begin hate here, or add on if you dare.

Comments

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    musica said:
    In reference to Willie Fugal's pertinent question from the unknown Jazz LP thread:

willie_fugal said:
    Reynaldo said:
    I should have capitalized Greats. I'm talking Miles, Monk, Coltrane, Ellington, Mingus, etc. You just don't give up that kind of talent for a woman and a day job. You met Mingus the mailman? Trane the tax collector?

And I'm looking for names, but there are none, 'cause those unkown unknowns weren't that good (Great).

is this really unique to jazz though?

do people REALLY believe that the heavily-sweated private press funk 45s/LPs are better than James Brown or the Meters?

This discussion deserves a separate thread.

I humbly propose that this song is better than many of James Brown's tracks. While it is not a private press record as above, I think this is a great example of James getting outdone at his own game from a musical standpoint by a relatively obscure artist. That said, James' personality, character and stage presence can never be equaled in any way shape or form, IMO.

Begin hate here, or add on if you dare.

Hey Musica,

I have to ask how can an artist outdo his/her predecessor who originated the style? It is questionable whether the upstart artist would have created the style on his/her own without the influence of the originator. To me, this line of thinking seems to favor the predecessor over the upstart due to the former's greater originality. I have the same response to those who remarked how Manny Pacquiao knocked out Ricky Hatton faster than Floyd Mayweather, Jr.; however, Manny's camp had the Mayweather-Hatton fight tapes as a blueprint to develop their strategy. Feel me???

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Did the dude that invented the color TV outdo the dude that invented B&W TV??

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

Hey Rock,

That's a good question!!! I would say the inventor of the TV should get more props than someone who improved upon it. I see creating something from nothing as more of a "quantum leap" than just adding on to what was already created.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    Rockadelic said:

Hey Rock,

That's a good question!!! I would say the inventor of the TV should get more props than someone who improved upon it. I see creating something from nothing as more of a "quantum leap" than just adding on to what was already created.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Though I agree with what you're saying, with repsect to Musica his frame of reference was much narrower - outdoing the greats from a purely musical standpoint only " ie issues of originality, paying dues etc aside, can you prefer the purely sonic experience of an emulator over the (great) originator?? That's possible. Having said that this track doesn't sound superior to JB IMHO. The rhythm section's up there but the vocals sound like the Godfather's on a below par day (it does sound like him though!).

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    To complicate the TV inventor scenario, how about if we compare Leon Ware's "Don't You Want To Come" to Marvin Gaye's "After The Dance". Leon co-wrote and co-produced the latter, and the two songs are basically of the same mold.

As much as I like - no, love - Gaye's version, I listen to Ware's version regularly.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    Rockadelic said:

Hey Rock,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Sure.....but neither of us are watching b&w TV in 2010.

With music it's more complicated than inventor vs. improver.....mostly because things like soul, emotion and personality are involved.

Elvis Presley's version of "Mystery Train" is recognized as being better than Junior Parker's as is his version of "Blue Moon Of Kentucky" vs. Bill Monroe.

One of the great songwriter's of the 50's was Otis Blackwell, yet he was a mediocre singer and other artists performed his songs better than he did.

Can someone "outdo" James Brown? I don't think so.....they can imitate him but what man has more soul and feeling than the Godfather??

Rockadelic said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    Rockadelic said:

Hey Rock,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Sure.....but neither of us are watching b&w TV in 2010.

With music it's more complicated than inventor vs. improver.....mostly because things like soul, emotion and personality are involved.

Elvis Presley's version of "Mystery Train" is recognized as being better than Junior Parker's as is his version of "Blue Moon Of Kentucky" vs. Bill Monroe.

One of the great songwriter's of the 50's was Otis Blackwell, yet he was a mediocre singer and other artists performed his songs better than he did.

Can someone "outdo" James Brown? I don't think so.....they can imitate him but what man has more soul and feeling than the Godfather??

Hey Rock,

Your last statement sums up my feelings regarding Musica's original post. No one can do James better than James, musically or as a performer. Sure, there are many re-makes I like better than the original (e.g., "This Masquerade," "Light My Fire"), but I can say the reverse in many cases as well (e.g., "I Don't Know Why," "Wichita Lineman"). The pendulum swings either way depending on the tune and artists involved.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak