big daddy kane - aint no half steppin promo

2»

Comments

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    don't you use serato?

can't you do that with serato?
    whoa. holy stalker, batman.

nah man. if anything, serato has made me more of a collector and condition freak.

I was involved in a thread where you were supporting serato, settle down.

I was jsut saying that if mp3's are available and so is serato, does it matter if it is reissued?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    don't you use serato?

nah man. if anything, serato has made me more of a collector and condition freak.

Its funny, I was just about to ask if you thought that Serato will help people get their hands on the turbo raers without putting in the time? I think serato is cool, but this is something I've wondered about. I'm usually not into wax reissues, although I'm looking forward to picking up the JVC force on 2x vinyl. I do think its better to put in the time & search things out - that's where you really learn about the music. I do like the high quality reissues, tho, like the O.C. one that fatbeats put out. Its cool to hear the music sound its best.

peace

h

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    don't you use serato?

I was involved in a thread where you were supporting serato, settle down.

I was jsut saying that if mp3's are available and so is serato, does it matter if it is reissued?
    jus playin, maygne.

yes. vinyl reissues w/ the og artwork water shit down. some shit should be held sacred. not like my opinion on this matter is gonna stop some douchebag from making a killing on knocking off a hyped rap record, so this conversation is pointless.

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    if some herbivoire can skip the basic hiphop knowledge, and go right for the turbo raers, it basically negates all the work and effort older dudes have put in. sayin.

I don't know what "work" is negated if someone high schooler buys a "Half Steppin' Remix" reissue. You still have your OG raers, you still can listen to them for enjoyment, and you still can son newjack herbs with your years of acquired knowledge. If you're feeling threatened that more than a handful of hardcore diggers have access to a certain record, that's on you.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    newjack herbs
    hardcore diggers

thanks for straightening me out.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    If you're feeling threatened that more than a handful of hardcore diggers [/b] have access to a certain record, that's on you.

or any clown with 2 bills to drop like it's no big deal...

that's something people never talk about in these OG vs Reissue discussions... me, i own about 50 reissues/comps in my entire collection, i just like to sniff out the old stuff, but just remember all this "hardcore digger" talk is kinda silly b/c any tool with the internet and a credit card can have a sick in collection in two weeks...

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    50 reissues/comps in my entire collection
    well, with some of these $1000 45s, i can completely understand.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    i just like to sniff the old stuff

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

• any tool with the internet and a credit card can have a sick in collection in two weeks...

You stop talkin down to Young Pimpin' 'Naldo that way!

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

that's true. i dont how anyone but a rich dude could justify owning those...

i don't mean raising the money, i mean possesing it and deciding to hold on to it... i'd be scared to play it, scared i'd break it, scared i'd breathe on it wrong... and honestly, until i get all the great 5-100 dollar records, i don't need the 1000 ones... rather have twenty great 50 dollar records than one 1000 dollar one, unless i thought it was the BEST SONG EVER ON EARTH...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    unless i thought it was the BEST SONG EVER ON EARTH...

• hello elitism.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    hello.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    This debate comes down to at least two different camps...those that think EVERYTHING should be available to the public and those who seem to think that some things are worth sharing and others are not. You can call it elitism if you want but this remix of "Ain't No Half Steppin" is a perfect example: it's not THAT fucking ill, never has been. The only reason the 12" goes for loot is because the shit is rare so it has collector's value but not because the song, in and of itself, is some shit that everysinglepersonhastohear. I'd be into hearing someone put this on a mixtape of rare rap joints. But reissued on its own? What possible point would that serve?

In contrast, I'm glad they reissued something like "Peace of Mind" by Top Choice Clique because 1) that's a justifiably rare 12" that's hard to come by and 2) the song is really fucking hot. Sure, it annoys me that the reissue looks exactly like my OG (I do wish people wouldn't do that) but am I mad the song is out there in circulation? Not really.

And I suppose, on principle, I don't have a problem if someone thinks the "Ain't No Half Steppin" remix NEEDS to be reissued. But that's not the same thing as saying I endorse the idea. I think it's a waste of money and effort. And more to the point, if I had the means to make that happen, I personally would choose not to simply because I still think enjoying music involves making choices and not just treating every single song as fodder for someone else's consumption.

If you're going to share, be discriminating. That's not elitism, that's called sharing knowledge vs. the digital equivalent of vomiting up the contents of your record collection.

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    For what it's worth...

I only posted up the scan and the mp3, because I literally had done both of those yesterday (the mp3 for my listening pleasure on the train and the scan for another purpose) . Thought it was pretty coincidental that someone would ask for that very track the next day on here. I don't mind 'vomiting' up bits and pieces here and there if someone is interested in something. I might have a few requests myself at some stage too.

It's such a 'talked about' record, people here can now make their own minds up on whether it's what it's cracked up to be.

Personally, I like it, but that's coming from a big Kane fan - and a fan of the original version... even so, I certainly didn't/wouldn't pay a huge amount for that one.

---

On a sidenote... the 'Peace Of Mind' reissue... was that legit?
    Both of the cuts on that record are great...

DWG,

Just to clarify - I wasn't knocking you at all. I think it's great that you were willing to share the song and the scan. I think that makes more sense than going through the trouble of reissuing (or booting) the whole single though. It is a cool remix though, I agree...just not mind-blowingly differnt.

As for "PEace of Mind" I doubt it was legit. If it was, they wouldn't have booted the label and make it look like an OG.

Oliver

For what it's worth...

I only posted up the scan and the mp3, because I literally had done both of those yesterday (the mp3 for my listening pleasure on the train and the scan for another purpose) . Thought it was pretty coincidental that someone would ask for that very track the next day on here. I don't mind 'vomiting' up bits and pieces here and there if someone is interested in something. I might have a few requests myself at some stage too.

It's such a 'talked about' record, people here can now make their own minds up on whether it's what it's cracked up to be.

Personally, I like it, but that's coming from a big Kane fan - and a fan of the original version... even so, I certainly didn't/wouldn't pay a huge amount for that one.

---

On a sidenote... the 'Peace Of Mind' reissue... was that legit?
    Both of the cuts on that record are great...

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    It's cool - too easy to misinterpret things on the web!

As for "PEace of Mind" I doubt it was legit. If it was, they wouldn't have booted the label and make it look like an OG.

Yeah, I thought as much - but I remember that great little feature that was in Grandslam where Chairman Mao (what's up?!) did that little catch-up interview with Jawn P, around the time that the track was blowing up on DJ Ivory's mix.

The next thing I knew, there was a reissue sitting in my local store. I wasn't sure if the feature inspired Jawn P and the guys to do a little re-release themselves...

That first 12" they did had another great track in the form of 'I'll Do The Honors'... love that one too...

peace

It's cool - too easy to misinterpret things on the web!

Yeah, I thought as much - but I remember that great little feature that was in Grandslam where Chairman Mao (what's up?!) did that little catch-up interview with Jawn P, around the time that the track was blowing up on DJ Ivory's mix.
    The next thing I knew, there was a reissue sitting in my local store. I wasn't sure if the feature inspired Jawn P and the guys to do a little re-release themselves...
    peace

COuld be - I wouldn't be surprised. Shit gets booted like crazy these days. I hope Phil put out his own 12" again and not some sucker trying to make a buck off him.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

I'm pretty sure it was legit.. I could be wrong, but without going into details (just in case I am wrong) I think it's on the up-and-up.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    dwg...

thanks btw. i forgot to say that, as i was caught up in the neverending reissue debate.

tom

I'm pretty sure it was legit.. I could be wrong, but without going into details (just in case I am wrong) I think it's on the up-and-up.

I defer to the Master. Especially if the artists did it themselves.

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    [I'd be into hearing someone put this on a mixtape of rare rap joints]

^i thought ivory used this on hear no evil vol. 2...or is it another rare kane remix? i can't remember- i'll go listen.

thank you dwg for the mp3. that was very noble of you and it's good to know people on here know how to treat it.

long live hip hop/hip hop is dead.

• cardovacardova 743 Posts
    now back to cold chillin, what other promo-only remix 12s are there?
    i can think of 3 right now:

kid carpi "joke's on you jack"
    biz markie "vapors"
    granddaddy i.u.: "sugarfree"

what else?

kid carpi
    lol

• What 12" was "Set It Off" on?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    now back to cold chillin, what other promo-only remix 12s are there?
    do things on Prism count?

What 12" was "Set It Off" on?

"set it off" is a uk 12".

tom,
    what promo-only prisms you got on your mind? i can't remember any.