Napa-Strut

marumaru 1,450 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central
Planning a 1-year anniversary getaway with my wife and looking to spend a couple of nights somewhere in Napa Valley. Don't really know a whole lot about the area, although we're really interested in hitting up Cyrus which is in Healdsburg. Also interested in the new Morimoto spot in Napa proper, but I've also heard Yountsville is nice too. Anyone have some good experiences and recommendations for places to stay? I'm assuming all of the aforementioned areas will have nice shopping, restaurants, wineries, etc., but maybe you guys can sway me in some direction.

Thanks.

Comments

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    You can't go wrong with Cyrus, assuming French Laundry reservation is too late at this point. But I personally really like staying in Yountville as it is centrally located. Recommend Ubuntu in Napa as well for dining during the day.

I would recommend Ad-Hoc and Redd in Yountville as well. As far as places to stay; I really enjoyed my stay at Bardessono in Yountville, but also have stayed budget at this place: Napa Railway Inn; which is rad becuase how much time do you spend in your hotel anyway.

I love love loved the Cakebread winery tour and also a huge fan of the Ridge winery operation.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    NateBizzo said:
    You can't go wrong with Cyrus, assuming French Laundry reservation is too late at this point. But I personally really like staying in Yountville as it is centrally located. Recommend Ubuntu in Napa as well for dining during the day.

I would recommend Ad-Hoc and Redd in Yountville as well. As far as places to stay; I really enjoyed my stay at Bardessono in Yountville, but also have stayed budget at this place: Napa Railway Inn; which is rad becuase how much time do you spend in your hotel anyway.

I love love loved the Cakebread winery tour and also a huge fan of the Ridge winery operation.

Dude you pretty much said everything I was going to.

Straight up, on a summer's day in the afternoon, Yountville looks like a town out of a Pixar movie. Sooooo laid back and beautiful. We were super budg when I was there years back and went to the nice hotel / spa that's down the road from the French Laundry (forgot what it's called). Went in, were super nice to em, told em we weren't staying at the hotel but had dinner reservations and needed a place to clean up (were just there for the day) -- the front desk people were mad cool and let us use the spa on the house -- shit was real nice too.

Then, just as you mentioned, went to Ubuntu for dinner and had this vegetarian skillet thing that was off the chain. All the food there was off the hook. However, when I went, it was all vegetarian. Assuming that's still the case -- so be warned, in case you're looking for meat (pause).

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Paging Waxjunky....

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Jack London State Park, north of Sonoma, is a great place to have a picnic.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    Yountville sounds like the spot, although seems like it might rule out Cyrus since it's like an hour away.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    The Accidental Wino is a blog I write that covers this topic extensively. I'd recommend Terra for dinner. The wineries are abundant. What are you looking for?

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    waxjunky said:
    The Accidental Wino is a blog I write that covers this topic extensively. I'd recommend Terra for dinner. The wineries are abundant. What are you looking for?

A nice B&B to stay at. One amazing dinner, and cheaper but delicious options for lunch. One or two nice winery tours. Perhaps some live music if available, jazz or something. Boutique shopping and overall just a nice ambiance and vibe.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    maru said:
    waxjunky said:

A nice B&B to stay at. One amazing dinner, and cheaper but delicious options for lunch. One or two nice winery tours. Perhaps some live music if available, jazz or something. Boutique shopping and overall just a nice ambiance and vibe.

For "amazing" I think you want Meadowood, which is better than the handful of really good restaurants in the valley, but a step below The French Laundry. I still regard Terra as the best among the pack of the really good spots, in case Meadowood is booked.

The best winery tour in the valley is at Schramsberg. They might be booked, too. Chappellet is excellent, as is Pride on Spring Mountain (killer picnic area).

Boutique shopping along Main Street in St. Helena. Boutique digging, that's non-existent here.

Sometimes you can catch a good concert at the Uptown in Napa, but there's not a strong music scene here.

I can't speak first-hand on any B&Bs;, though.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    one word of advice if you end up hitting French Laundry: bring your own siracha sauce 'cause they don't have any. I asked.

• rootlesscosmo said:
    one word of advice if you end up hitting French Laundry: bring your own siracha sauce 'cause they don't have any. I asked.

Would love to know their reaction.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:

haha. did you really ask for siracha at the French Laundry?

thanks for all the advice. Yountsville sounds like a nice place to stay. any word on Healdsburg or St. Helena?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    The Bear Republic brewery is in Healdsburg if you want good beer. Otherwise the entire city is about as exciting as a convalescent home.