Trill OG opens with J. Prince welcoming Drake to the team.

13»

Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    nzshadow said:
    Mighty small shotgun.

bingo.

NRA strutteurs revealed!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    Me and my girl were listening to the radio in the car last weekend, and a Drake song came on. My girl was like, "Oh, I know this one, they play it on 1Xtra all the time". I asked whether she'd be surprised if I told her this guy was a rapper. She looked at me incredulously, and said, "Seriously? How come he isn't rapping, then?"

The more I think about it, the more I think that Drake is another of these dudes who comes out of the gate rapping, but can't abandon it quickly enough in the rush to show the world how multifaceted an artist he is. We see this quite a bit in the UK - it's happened recently with Plan B, who was tagged as The British Eminem when he first came out, but now sounds like someone doing a bad Curtis Mayfield impression while on his way to court on a drunk and disorderly charge. Then, of course, there was George Michael, who used to talk in his first interviews about how big an influence Sugarhill's output was upon Wham. But, even if that influence was all but eradicated after two or three singles, at least he was never trumpeted as A Major Voice In Hip-Hop.