NPR's 50 Great Voices: Biggie

2»

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    batmon said:
    deej said:
    pac should have made the list

I put Pac w/ dudes like GURU. Instant Recognition but not GREAT.

When i first heard Same Song I wasnt blown away by dudes VOICE.
    new york is not REAL AMERICA

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    I pushed hard for Chuck and was rather bummed they chose Biggie in the end. It wasn't likely that there'd be more than 1 or 2 rappers and while Biggie does have a great voice, I just think in terms of pure vocal presence, ain't no one fucking with Chuck.

And yeah, the people who comment on NPR's site are pretty much as lame as they are everywhere else. The main difference is that many aren't used to getting slammed back on and tend to get flustered when challenged.

Check for the Donny Hathaway and Ella Fitzgerald episodes too; I thought they were well done.

BTW: I'm taping a "Great Voices" segment later this morning, should run next week or so.

Chuck D probably would've made more sense for an NPR segment. He and Biggie are both great lyricists, but Chuck is a beast on the mic. If he wasn't, he wouldn't have been able to compete with those super-layered Bomb Squad productions. Still some quiver when Chuck delivers.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    deej said:
    batmon said:
    deej said:
    pac should have made the list

I put Pac w/ dudes like GURU. Instant Recognition but not GREAT.

When i first heard Same Song I wasnt blown away by dudes VOICE.

Tupac Amaru Shakur was born on the East Harlem section of Manhattan in New York City is not REAL AMERICA