TEFTELLER

SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central
So, Tefteller must have gotten small stock on promo copies of the first Black Merda LP, and has been auctioning them off for the past month, 2 or 3 that I have seen. I had bids in on 2 of them, around $65 or $70 I think, and lost both although not by much, they both ended under $80. So the other day he puts up another copy, same exact listing as the earlier ones except it now says "LAST COPY! :((( " under the description, and it's a buy-it-now for $140 (almost twice what he was getting at auction) or best offer.

I'm annoyed enough by this bizarre price-hike to make an offer of $81, just a few dollars more than the most recent one he auctioned ended at - and honestly as much or more than I really want to spend on this album, but they are unplayed promos. I figured maybe he would take it but didn't count on it.

Today I get a counter-offer of $100 ... now, I don't think it's a wildly out-of-line offer or anything, let me make that clear before people get on me. BUT the whole point of this post is the e-mail included with the offer, where he (or his minion) actually said, "this is my personal copy of this record" as if he pulled it from his Expedit (also known as "pulling a Djukic") and then proceeded to tell me how it regularly goes for auction at $150 and even included a popsike link to an auction from another seller from 2 years ago for a sealed copy that hit $200.
No mention of his own auctions of the past 3 weeks, where, when put to bids, these exact copies he is selling have not even hit $80. IMO, this was disingenuous as FUCK and really ticked me off, like he thinks I am an idiot. And I told him so.

So, am I over-reacting? Do I deserve a "COOL STORY BRO" jpeg and a clowning? Or is this dude a douche nozzle?

Comments

• he;s a douche and you;re over-reacting. i think you can get that first black merda for around 40 with patience these days...

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    GET THAT PAPER TEFTELLER

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    he;s a douche and you;re over-reacting. i think you can get that first black merda for under 40 with patience these days...

Define "patience." It's not like I just started wanting this record last week. I've been actively looking for it for at least a decade. And like most records I try to get on eBay, when I bid around what the last copy went for, it goes for more. If it ends for $40 and I bid $45 on the next one, it ends for $50. I'm sure people know what this feels like. I have never seen it in a store, except for a trashed copy with a half cover and VG- vinyl that the crackhead owner wanted $50 for. I want better than that, obviously.

Also, why do you use semi-colons in place of apostrophes?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Mark I don't think you are over-reacting, I would be a bit put off by the seller's carry on & probably not buy.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Never heard of dude collecting anything post 1955.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

but collecting and selling are two different things...

pickwick33 said:
    LaserWolf said:

..."actually said, ???this is my personal copy of this record??? as if he pulled it from his Expedit..."

pickwick33 said:
    LaserWolf said:

did you read my initial post??

As for your conundrum, don't buy it. Unless you want to.

He has not been honest with you.

He flooded the market with sealed copes, then went to set sale when he wasn't getting the $$$ he wanted.

l have nothing against Tefteller and he has a good rep.

But with you he has been shady, don't buy it. Unless you want to.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Recent road trip related......

One store in Tennessee had about half of their LP's priced and half not priced at all....those that were priced were ridiculous ...like a common $5.00 Metal comp marked $50.99......and common David Bowie LP marked $64.99.
    I pulled out one unmarked LP and a loose copy of the Country Joe & The Fish "Fish Game" poster. The young lady told me she had to look them up on the internet and was literally using the ARCHDD and HAL prices......It became apparent that the priced LP's were only priced because folks asked to buy them and then balked at the outrageous price. I didn't even stick around to find out how much the poster was after she quoted me $99,99 for a common 70's Wilbert Harrison LP.

Another store had every LP taped shut and you were not allowed to open them to check condition.

Two stores had their records priced but had to RE-PRICE them by using GEMM and Popsike when we went to buy them.

And yet another store had AMAZING records all marked $0.99 only to find out they were 1/2 off and actually fifty cents each.

The point is that most record dealers are friggin lunatics with Tefteller being one of the more sane/professional of the bunch.....even if he does maximize his profit by pushing the envelope.

yeah, I mean, I already rejected the offer, more from anger than price burn.

I don't think $100 is OUTLANDISH for a clean promo of this LP at all, and it is certainly not my point to this thread ... it's the BS shady justification dude tried to run for making his offer. Shit, if he just said "it's my last copy, and I think I can get at least $100 for it" I would have fully respected that - I think he CAN get $100 for it. I just hate this whole schtick these guys feel compelled to run on you, especially that "personal collection" line ... that really bruns my ass in pubix. That and his need to put TEFTELLER in every auction heading haha.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    At ROCK. Yeah there was this store here in Sydney that used to re-shrink all there 2nd hand records, all ungraded mind you.
    So you had to ask them to open them to check condition and the shop assistants would be giving you the death stare. They used to shrink some of the most thrashed records.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I had a weird thing happen last night. I've been watching some common ass soul 45 in ebay for ages thinking about minting up. It's been sitting there at $12.99 just rolling over on my watch list for a while. Yesterday it closed or was ended (without selling) & the seller relisted it at $15. Logic?

• there's an LP that's had 2 copies on the bay this year, 1st went for $11 VG+, 2nd for $17 EX. I forgot to bid/snipe both of them (really annoying)

anyway, a 3rd goes up 2 weeks ago with a reserve (!). I put in a top bid of $30 b/c I want the record, and it's signed by everyone in the group, although it's only VG. doesn't meet the reserve.

seller relists the item as a Buy It Now at $125 with a make an offer option!!!!

I offer $25, with a note linking to the two previous sub-$20 auctions of the same record in better condition. the offer seems to have been automatically rejected for not being high enough--no note back from the seller at all.

fucking idiot.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    holmes said:
    I had a weird thing happen last night. I've been watching some common ass soul 45 in ebay for ages thinking about minting up. It's been sitting there at $12.99 just rolling over on my watch list for a while. Yesterday it closed or was ended (without selling) & the seller relisted it at $15. Logic?

Potential listing fee recoupage

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    ***2x post - please delete***

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    CONFOUNDING MYSTERIES OF TEH 'BAY

P.S.: I believe this one to have been the copy I victoriously bid upon. In retrospect, it was in even better shape than advertised.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    holmes said:

this happens to me all the time... recently, Generation Records in NYC did it on a Jah Wobble record i wanted... initially it was 10, unsold, then went to 15... i offered to come down to the store and give them 10 in cash and they shot me down... still unsold, 3 months later...

that logic confuses me... no one wanted it for 10, so at 15 they'll jump for it?

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    when I learned to not expect logic from the record game and its participants, I became a much happier man.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    p_gunn said:
    holmes said:

this happens to me all the time... recently, Generation Records in NYC did it on a Jah Wobble record i wanted... initially it was 10, unsold, then went to 15... i offered to come down to the store and give them 10 in cash and they shot me down... still unsold, 3 months later...

that logic confuses me... no one wanted it for 10, so at 15 they'll jump for it?

I call this the 'Bleeker Bob'.

Back in the late 70's/early 80's he had a rare Stones record on the wall for $700, which is too much now and was ungodly back then. I always looked for it whenever I went in and of course it sat there for years, at least five or so. Then one day I go in and it was $1000.

It's probably still there.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    pickwick33 said:
    LaserWolf said:

did you read my initial post??

yes, I saw the "personal copy" deal...but then again (a) it was still sealed, and (b) in the context of your post, looked like he just added that ONLY for dramatic emphasis to make it sell quicker