Das Efx On Craigslist?!

2»

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    The_Non said:
    Jazzsucka said:
    "RAP LEGENDS"

Do they really qualify for this description in Strut's opinion?

Yes. You can not like them, or think they're washed up all you want, but their style switched up hip hop lyrically to a certain extent.

Haha really??

Dudes were doing the tongue twisting shit prior to them, and the whole "iggidy wiggidy" style got dissed hard in subsequent years.

File under "bad rap fads"

I suppose Drake's already a legend for what he's done to popularize the "I fill her up--balloons!" style of rhyming.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    They definitely brought something unique to hip hop.

(Although..."so l'ego my Eggo" is corny.)

And Kriss Kross were less good, even at their best.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:
    Das Efx and Home Team had that same kinda flow going on..anyone heard any of the earlier (before dead serious) stuff?

Examples of the Home Team's same-type flow pleez.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    i'd post up some youtube linkage, but that shiz is blockzord @ the work place....

their Live Via Sattelite from Saturn totally reminded me of some Das Efx era type ish...backpacks and all...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    The only real response to this ad should be to call and quote Das lyrics.

"hello, is this the boogidy woogidy brooklyn boy?"

"I've got an anatomical question... what exactly is connected to the hip bone?"

"turkey sausages vs. pork sausages. Discuss."

"should we grab the train, or walk?"

"why *is* everybody always picking on me?"

Or keep "accidentally" confusing them with the Fu Schnickens.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    i bought the cd single of 'they want efx' when i was 15 and loved it, but i don't think i would care to see them live thesedays. The only thing this makes me wonder is if they still rhiggidy rhiggidy rhyme like this still. Poor guys...

• BigKBigK 97 Posts
    It really shows how Hip-Hop has changed...
    After a few years of them debuting, people were dissing Das EFX because their style was supposedly played out.

But nowadays you have people saying Lil Wayne and Drake and everyone got "crazy flows",
    when really most people from 97-now just speak over beats, they don't even have a flow.

Das EFX are like a million times more skillful with the rhythms and shit than 99% of the guys today, but because the early to mid 90s had such a high bar set lyrically, they were deemed too frivolous after a certain amount of time, and so today's kids listen to their rhymes and think it's somehow not good.

• JUDJUD 82 Posts
    batmon said:
    dj_cityboy said:
    Das Efx and Home Team had that same kinda flow going on..anyone heard any of the earlier (before dead serious) stuff?

Examples of the Home Team's same-type flow pleez.

Around 2:04 dude throws a couple iggidies into his verse, but I don't see why Das Efx would be lumped in with Home Team. Home Team's "Pick It Up" single was a big deal in Michigan when it came out (and had a great mix), but those dudes were manufactured backpackers. I heard that Luke originally tried to market the single in New York, failed, then had success in Michigan. I'm curious if people from NY and other states remember this group/single.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    one riggidy = das efx........ :pasue:

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

"Enough with these muthafuckas biting Das EFX!"

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    batmon said:
    As much as dudes single out Das for their rhyme delivery "gimmick", I think their cartoon/free association/commercial & jingles/ rhymes were unique compared to what other mcs were doin.

yes. and even if you subtracted the iggity stuff they were still above-average rappers by the standards of the day. and they had some legit bangers.

but no, not rapp legends.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    The_Non said:
    Jazzsucka said:
    "RAP LEGENDS"

Do they really qualify for this description in Strut's opinion?

Yes. You can not like them, or think they're washed up all you want, but their style switched up hip hop lyrically to a certain extent.

Haha really??

Dudes were doing the tongue twisting shit prior to them, and the whole "iggidy wiggidy" style got dissed hard in subsequent years.

File under "bad rap fads"

again, the igiity stuff prolly qualifies as a fad, but those dudes were above average even without it. and no one's really messing with some of the joints on the first album.

but legends they are not.